Do you think its worthwhile to spend $500+ on a helmet? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Do you think its worthwhile to spend $500+ on a helmet?

In 2006 when I bought my Hayabusa I think I paid over $500 for a Shoei which did save my life during a crash. However after looking at DOT studies and data I believe the protection that a $140 Bell provides isnt much different than a $1700 AGV Pista. Of course the more expensive ones look better, are lighter, keep your head cooler but do they really provide more than triple the protection that a $150 Dot approved Bell does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Liquid_IQ

I can't offer any scientific proof, but I can tell you I won't wear a cheap helmet. Shoei and Arai for me.

I did notice that a fancy paint scheme or replica helmet can more than double in price from just the additional graphics. I ended up getting my Shoei X-Twelve for less than half of MSRP on clearance. Deals are out there if you don't need the latest and greatest.
post #3 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 02:43 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Easy answer here. Wait till the expensive helmet is on closeout for 1/4 price. I got my bell star for $250. The little extra money vs a cheap helmet is very worth it when you turn your head at 100mph and get no shaking what so ever.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #4 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Shinji43
Lifetime Premium

Garage
+1 on the more expensive brand, it’s only been Arai for me. One good point someone made to me when I first started riding, you can’t put a price on protection.

2003 CBR 954RR (Track Only)
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol Edition
2017 CBR 1000RR SP #093
post #5 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji43 View Post
+1 on the more expensive brand, itís only been Arai for me. One good point someone made to me when I first started riding, you canít put a price on protection.
Well. Thats my point. Is it really offering 3 times more protection compared to a DOT approved $200 Bell helmet?
post #6 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Paraquat

Coming from a cruiser, I always laughed at helmets.
I find the air pressure around 110 gets to me and I find myself grateful I have the helmet on. I got a brand new Scorpion EXO 750 for the cost of the 700 when they were discontinued.

My next helmet will be a Shoei I think. I like basic gloss black. I don't like all the graphics and wild colors.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Shinji43
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji43 View Post
+1 on the more expensive brand, it’s only been Arai for me. One good point someone made to me when I first started riding, you can’t put a price on protection.
Well. Thats my point. Is it really offering 3 times more protection compared to a DOT approved $200 Bell helmet?
Well the more expensive ones will be SNELL approved which is a higher standard of protection testing over a DOT rating, plus they have been more comfortable/better fitting as well, so it’s more piece of mind.

2003 CBR 954RR (Track Only)
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol Edition
2017 CBR 1000RR SP #093
post #8 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 05:16 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Yeah the more expensive ones don't protect better, they just work better with airflow and comfort.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #9 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
My current favorite is the x-14 hands down. The only drawback is the wind noise Id give it a 5/10. Yes expensive helmets are better for the most part and I totally think you get what you pay for(base models, not graphics although I like the colors and factory colors are very UV resistant). If you dont race and ride slow the aerodynamics wont matter but when you pick your head up or look to the side at 170 youll be greatful for the air tunnel testing. I think Schuberth and bell are the only ones with wind tunnels in house for testing. The fit of my helmet is perfect but that is obviously a case by case deal.

Most importantly though....you should be dealing with riders discount and specifically Mike. No matter what helmet you decide on call him first! I just found out hes back and he is amazing to deal with!...dont post or repeat any deals you may or may not receive though and screw it up for us!

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
1999 ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson
1984 Goldwing Aspencade (WIP bought after a light deer smashing)
1983 LTD550 (WIP cafe project for friends to ride)
post #10 of 49 Old 10-03-2019, 07:11 PM
dreamzboy

I've had the opportunity to wear Scorpion ($200), Icon ($350), Shoei ($500), and now Arai ($600). I'm an Arai guy and will buy nothing less. I've been through a few crashes but luckily I didn't have to test any helmets so I can only comment on comfort. Arai gives me the best comfort and the best vision. All other helmets I've worn doesn't seem "full" with padding. Mind you, I've had my Arai since 2011 and still feels as though I'm not wearing any helmet. The foam they used is like memory foam without it eating up your head.

Sure, you can buy just about any DOT certified helmet but it's one of those where you sleep on a luxurious bed at some 5-stars hotel, you won't go back to Motel 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page