Motorcycle discrimination by homeowners associations - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Desibaba

Motorcycle discrimination by homeowners associations

I have lived in my townhouse for over 3 years. Obviously I signed off on a mountain of paperwork that I barely recall. About 2 weeks ago I get a letter in the mailbox that motorcycles are not allowed even if kept in your garage. They included a copy of my signed agreement that said I won’t keep a motorcycle, truck, rv, pickup trailer or boat on my premises. I found a nearby drive in storage unit at cubesmart and have started keeping the bike there spending almost 100 a month.

The other day I stayed at my girlfriend’s condo for the weekend and today I found a note taped to my motorcycle saying it’s my final warning and she will be fined if I keep my motorcycle in their “Guest” parking spot. They never have had a problem with my 10 times louder Corvette z06 which I bring there all the time. I almost feel like these people have been watching too many episodes of sons of anarchy and associate motorcycles automatically with criminals or something along those lines. My bike isn’t loud, very environmentally friendly because of the great fuel economy and I never do anything disrespectful like wheelies, burnouts, etc. Why is my motorcycle being discriminated against and what can I do to fight back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 11:51 AM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

Sounds like you and your girlfriend live in a community of self righteous, controlling, liberal d-bags.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #3 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 12:33 PM
icrashbikes

I had a fight with my HOA about my motorcycle a long time ago as well. People with too much time on their hands and a set of rules they get to interpret as they see fit. If it stipulates anti-motorcycle rules in the bylaws, there's not a whole lot you can do. (I bought a house)
post #4 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 03:13 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

Stop living in Hoa's. Everyone knows that. This is nothing new.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #5 of 24 Old 10-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Topaz

Ask a lawyer. Maybe they don't have the right to ban a motorcycle. If it's a street legal vehicle, it's weird they can ban it just because.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 AM
TedEbear

I'm going through something similar in my neighborhood. I've lived where I'm at for over 19 years and I've ridden my '08 1000RR back and forth to work for over 10 years. I work evenings and get home late at night. I have repeatedly asked various neighbors around my house if they can hear my motorcycle when I come home and if it bothers them because I will stop doing it if it does. All of them, including one who was walking his dog late one night when I rode by him, said it is not loud and they don't even hear it.

My wife was on a neighborhood Facebook group a few months ago and she alerted me to a post she read by someone we don't know who asked if anyone knows who the person is who rides the loud "scooter" through the subdivision nearly every night at 11:00pm. At first, I figured they were talking about someone else because I do not have a scooter. However, I stopped riding it to work and it has just been sitting in the garage for over two months. No more Facebook complaints.

I looked up the address of the person who posted the complaint and his house is a block off the road I travel to get to my house. I cannot imagine my bike noise would bother him if it does not bother my next door neighbors. However, one or two replies to his comment said they hear it, too. I don't want to be "that" person who causes trouble in the neighborhood but I'm not sure what to do. When I come home, I practically idle it at 2,500 rpm for nearly a mile to my driveway but I guess that's still too loud for some people on an otherwise quiet night. Other than not riding it to work anymore, my only other option is to shut it off and push it nearly a mile to my house each night. It's getting ready to go into the basement for its annual 4-5 month winter storage so this soon will no longer be a problem until next April.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 10:16 AM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

99% of social issues would be solved if we just didn't live so darn close to each other.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #8 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Topaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan66 View Post
99% of social issues would be solved if we just didn't live so darn close to each other.
LOL. Good one, but the trend is actually the opposite. And in US we're actually quite roomy. Have you been to Europe? They pile up!
post #9 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Topaz

I live in my own house, but I acknowledge that in my block there are several elderly people, so when I leave or arrive too late or too early, I keep the revs at the minimum possible that keep the bike running when I'm leaving, and when I arrive I put it in neutral and let it idle. Some times I even turn the engine off and let it roll.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM
TedEbear

I remember something that happened with me decades ago. Way back when I was single and the only car I could afford was a POS that got terrible gas mileage, I sometimes rode my 65 mpg enduro to a drive-in movie theater. One movie chain apparently had a policy banning motorcycles and they would not let me in. I asked the ticket booth person why and she replied because it was a motorcycle and that's their policy. I guess she was just doing her job or she would have gotten in trouble for letting me in.

I wrote to the company headquarters (many years before internet email ever existed) and asked them why they ban motorcycles for no other reason and that I could understand a noise ban on a loud vehicle but my little 1-cyl bike was not loud. A few weeks later, I received a reply and they said in their monthly staff meeting they discussed it and the ban was removed. I guess no one had a valid reason for banning all motorcycles. I rode to that drive-in a handful of times the rest of the season just because I could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page