2nd gear trouble. Sometimes pops out. Help - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
krisnet55

2nd gear trouble. Sometimes pops out. Help

Ok I seem to have a small problem "for now", when shifting from 1st to 2nd my 2nd sometimes doesnt engage. Is this a time for a new clutch or is this problems with gearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 AM
red02f4i
Lifetime Premium

Not trying to sound like an ass, but most 1st to 2nd shifting problems are usually operator error. People tend to not shift it clean enough and end up hitting neutral inbetween.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
krisnet55

Yes I understand no offense taken but I didnt have this problem before and its getting worse
post #4 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM
93civic_sedan

I know on my 929 its harder to shift from 1st to 2nd than on my old gixxer. It took some getting use to but I know alot of people with 929s have this issue. I have not heard of the 1000rr having this problem.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM
CharlieHo
2 wheels, 4 wheels?

More than likely just a problem with you or your foot. Adjust shifter a touch and make conscious effort to make each and every shift.

If it is a problem with your bike. I'd take it back to whereever you got it and tell them to stick it, because you seem to have had nothing but problems with your ride ever since you joined

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒε

Si vis pacem, para bellum

post #6 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
krisnet55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHo View Post
More than likely just a problem with you or your foot. Adjust shifter a touch and make conscious effort to make each and every shift.

If it is a problem with your bike. I'd take it back to whereever you got it and tell them to stick it, because you seem to have had nothing but problems with your ride ever since you joined
I doubt its my foot cause yesterday a friend drove my bike and when he took off and poped second he missed it also. I really have bad luck with motorcycles even my car has had a shit load of problems and almost did a lemon law and the car is 2006 Jetta
post #7 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM
miller

Transmissions
Transmissions: For street use most transmissions give good service without modification. They vary in design but most have five or six speeds and operate by rotating a shift drum with cam slots that move shift forks which in turn slide the gears back and forth on the shafts engaging and disengaging the gears. The gears are mounted alternately on the shaft in either a splined or freely rotating condition. Adjacent gears have engaging dogs or slots that lock together when moved into contact with each other. When locked together a pair of gears is then able to transmit power from one shaft to the other at a particular ratio.

A common failure mode for this type of transmission is when the locking dogs fail to stay engaged. Symptoms usually involve jumping out of gear or chattering when power is applied. This will typically occur in only one or two gears initially. If left uncorrected the gears, shift forks, and shift drum may be damaged. A good transmission will have all the engaging dogs undercut on both the upshift and downshift sides and the gears shimmed to avoid thrust loading the shift forks. These modifications provide for positive gear engagement and minimal power loss through the transmission. Many stock transmissions have no undercutting or shimming, some have one or more gears done, almost none have all gears modified.

Zlock Racing has transmission modification services available for selected models. The 98-99 ZX9R is a common example as it had a nasty habit of jumping out of gear. Your particular needs are best addressed as an individual case based on model, performance, intended use, and cost. If you think transmission work is needed we would be happy to discuss the specifics of your engine.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
miller

post #9 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
krisnet55

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Always you Miller, Thanks
post #10 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
sokanxx

Go ahead and change clutch fluid and put synthetic in the engine. Syn. oil can make shifting easier, these are two pretty cheap things to do before you tear into the trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page