How to align rear wheel / chain using only a rear stand - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore

How to align rear wheel / chain using only a rear stand

Chain Alignment - TOP TIP - advice from a professional

Is my rear tire / rear wheel straight? How do I know my chain is aligned?

Start with the factory marks and adjust evenly on both sides. Only older bikes have useless frame markers, according to my mechanic. Newer ('04 and later) are pretty good.

Then you use the chain as your straight edge. (Your chain and sprockets need to be in good condition.) I attached a visual aid because as easy as the concept is to grasp, the actual application of the principles as they translate to the adjustment can be confusing, at least to me. I apologize for the extremely crude graphics but I don't have any real photo editing software at the moment.

Also here is a video I did about it:

It could be edited down but still it's only a few minutes. The video was done before the new chain and rotors.

So the principle is, the chain is your guide because it's under tension. (Medium tension is good when doing this, not too tight.) If your rear wheel is cocked to one side or the other, the chain will ride tight against that side of the rear sprocket. Wheel is adjusted to far on a right angle? Chain will be tight against the right side of the sprocket. Wheel is facing left? Chain will be tight against the left. Freewheel the rear tire in forward and reverse directions, and check top and bottom.

When the wheel is aligned, the chain rides in the middle of the sprocket. You will be able to push it a little bit either way after spinning the tire. I confirmed this at my local bike shop, where he has a metal cone alignment tool on a slide bar. And when riding my CBR, it tracks perfectly straight with no pull to either side.

Recently I replaced rotors, pads and chain and tires.
I went with a DID 530 ZVM-X chain. If you want top of the line, it costs. The DID chain that came up first on my internet searches was a VX, good but not best. The ZVM runs about $220 w/tax.

------
This TOP TIP comes from a great friend, a life-long Mr. Fix-It and MC enthusiast Mikey G, Hopatcong, NJ. He currently is and always was a technician, but he repairs and builds just about ANYTHING. When he started using PC's, it only took a year or so before he became a Level 1 computer guru. It's just how his mind works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RrWheelAlignment_chain.jpg (55.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg CBR_HepHouse01.jpg (247.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CBR_HepHouse02.jpg (238.1 KB, 24 views)

2009 CBR Repsol, 2nd owner-
Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

First off the hash marks on the swingarm while not perfect are still close enough to get the job done without any ill effects whatsoever.

Second you should look into a 520 conversion kit the next time you do chain and sprockets they are way cheaper than 530 kits will save you 3-4lbs of rotational mass to reduce gyroscopic precession

Everything you have ever wanted to know about motorcycle sprockets and gearing and chain life
ROGUE RACING CBR1000RR Gearing / Sprockets Page
post #3 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 AM
capt.america
Super Moderator

Either a chain alignment tool or a straight edge against the sprocket to visually align the chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2015-09-24-12-00-25-1979448411.jpeg (4.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpeg 2015-09-24-12-00-38-97807890.jpeg (7.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpeg images-4.jpeg (4.9 KB, 143 views)

If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the [email protected]' porch.

post #4 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 PM
hardcoremofonigg
FEB 2016 BOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
First off the hash marks on the swingarm while not perfect are still close enough to get the job done without any ill effects whatsoever.

Second you should look into a 520 conversion kit the next time you do chain and sprockets they are way cheaper than 530 kits will save you 3-4lbs of rotational mass to reduce gyroscopic precession

Everything you have ever wanted to know about motorcycle sprockets and gearing and chain life
Are there any company who make a 520 front sprocket with the rubbers around it like the 530 OEM sproket

06 Blue&Yellow1kRR
Power Commander 3
Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet CF
Carrozzerias V-Tracks (Yellow)
Annitori RL Quickshift
Sticky Michelins 34F/36R
Galfer Steel Braided Lines
ProGrips SBK Black
Pearl Flash Yellow Sargent Seat
EK X Ring Chain
Yuasa YTZ10s
Balls Of Steel
Light Rider Mod(135lbs)
Bell Star Isle Of Man Helmet

2013 Daytona Charger #1052(cager) Blue Beast
post #5 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

I've never seen one, but why in the world would you ever be concerned with damping rubbers on the countershaft sprocket? I noticed you don't run a stock exhaust
post #6 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM
hardcoremofonigg
FEB 2016 BOTM

Quote:
I've never seen one, but why in the world would you ever be concerned with damping rubbers on the countershaft sprocket? I noticed you don't run a stock exhaust
I have read that it vibrates without the rubbers on the front sprocket. I have never rode a bike with a 520 conversion. But I just did my chain and sprockets when I put my CZ wheels on in 2013. So maybe next summer I will invest in a 520 conversion and loose some more rotating weight.

06 Blue&Yellow1kRR
Power Commander 3
Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet CF
Carrozzerias V-Tracks (Yellow)
Annitori RL Quickshift
Sticky Michelins 34F/36R
Galfer Steel Braided Lines
ProGrips SBK Black
Pearl Flash Yellow Sargent Seat
EK X Ring Chain
Yuasa YTZ10s
Balls Of Steel
Light Rider Mod(135lbs)
Bell Star Isle Of Man Helmet

2013 Daytona Charger #1052(cager) Blue Beast
post #7 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Additional vibrations are negligible at best. Your race type exhaust report probably makes more vibes felt through the chassis than the chain connecting with the CS sprocket.

Everybody loves the 520 conversion. The only people to ever be unsatisfied with a 520 kit are the ones that got conned into buying a cheap kit. If you buy quality parts like I mention in my article above you will never regret your purchase.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM
THEPFAFF

Quote:

I'll have to dig it up but I have the actual weight differences of the 530 to 520.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 28 Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPFAFF View Post
I'll have to dig it up but I have the actual weight differences of the 530 to 520.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

That would actually depend on the brand of chain kit you replace the OEM 530 with. If you use the higher end DID ERV3 or ZVM-X which weighs .3 of a lb more than the ERV3 along with Alloy sprockets then I would say being in the ballpark of 3-4lbs is close enough for what most people would be considering.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 AM
Sleazy Seagull

I plan on reading the rest of the article as I am sure there is some good information in there, but I stopped at the author's 4th paragraph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUE RACING
"Stock sprocket sizes are 16/41 (on 2004-2007 US spec bikes)..."
Aren't they 16/42? Made me question reading the rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page