Cooling System issue on an 06 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 8 Old 06-02-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
AceOfDiamonds0

Garage
Cooling System issue on an 06

Hey guys, so here's the story: I noticed a few drops of coolant leaking from a few hoses and around the water pump so I decided to change all the cooling system hoses, the water pump seals, and the thermostat and t-stat seal. At the same time I did a thorough cooling system flush with distilled water only and decided to run engine ice to keep the temps a little lower because I do a fair amount of commuting during the summer on my bike.

After flushing, filling, and then bleeding the air out of the cooling system I ran it into town to grab a few things and when I came back to the bike I noticed there was a small puddle under the reservoir overflow. My initial thought was that I put too much in the reservoir. That was last weekend and this evening when I opened it up to take a look, I noticed the reservoir was still full and when I opened the fill cap, air came rushing up through the reservoir and I couldn't see any coolant down in the radiator.

Not sure how or why the reservoir was still full and the coolant didn't go back into the radiator but I figured I'd fill it and bleed it again. Maybe I didn't bleed it well enough last time? I put coolant in and ran it to bleed. I noticed the return line coming from the t-stat didn't get hot until 190F. The level dropped some so I put a little more engine ice in. Then, just under 200F it starts boiling out of the radiator fill and then the level drops and then boils out again. I shut the bike off and the level in the radiator stayed the same.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. Maybe a mixture of things? I'm really hoping not head gasket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 AM
child_of_fire

my guess is air in the line or a bad thermostat. did you verify both of these issues?

2017 Fireblade
post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
AceOfDiamonds0

Garage
The thermostat is brand new so I'd like to think that it's not bad. However, I might just, put the old one ba k in because it wasn't bad. The only reason I put a new one in there is because it's the original t-stat and I didn't want to have to do it later.

Would air in the system cause it to boil up and out a bunch?

post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 PM
hardcoremofonigg
FEB 2016 BOTM

I did my thermostat a while back ago and overtightened the 2 bolts on the thermostat and it pinched the rubber gasket seal. Took me forever to figure out. Replaced the rubber gasket and torqued down to spec and no more problems. I could see steam coming out the thermostat housing but no liquid ever came so it was hard to see and find the problem.

06 Blue&Yellow1kRR
Power Commander 3
Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet CF
Carrozzerias V-Tracks (Yellow)
Annitori RL Quickshift
Sticky Michelins 34F/36R
Galfer Steel Braided Lines
ProGrips SBK Black
Pearl Flash Yellow Sargent Seat
EK X Ring Chain
Yuasa YTZ10s
Balls Of Steel
Light Rider Mod(135lbs)
Bell Star Isle Of Man Helmet

2013 Daytona Charger #1052(cager) Blue Beast
post #5 of 8 Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
AceOfDiamonds0

Garage
Alright, I bought a repair manual and I pulled the new t-stat out and checked it and the old one according to the book and they both checked out ok. Clocking was right on install and nothing was pinched. Put it all back together and bled the air out of the system and topped it off according to the book. It came up to temp and actually held steady at 216F for a solid 2 minutes before climbing up to 252F which I had to then shut it off because that's overheating.

One thing a Honda shop mechanic told me is that he's heard of engine ice coagulation with other coolants. I'm sure I flushed it out and the fact that it stayed at 216F makes me think that it's doing something.

I'm still stumped.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
AceOfDiamonds0

Garage
I got it figured. I didn't flush my system well enough. The tiny amount of green Honda brand coolant that was still in my system mixed with the engine ice that I put in there and made some sort of something that was enough to clog up my radiator, which was cause my water pump to dump all the coolant into the reservoir and overheat the engine.

I had a couple pictures of the engine ice coolant I drained but ended up deleting them on accident, otherwise I'd post them so you could see. There was a bunch of really tiny flakes floating in it and after I let it sit for a day it all settled to the bottom of the gallon jug I used to drain the coolant into. The stuff had covered the entire bottom of the gallon jug and was apparently enough to plug up my radiator. It doesn't take much I guess.

Anyway, I ended up flushing the system again with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar and then flushed it again with a bottle of Mac's radiator cleaner that I had in my garage from a different project a few years ago. After thoroughly flushing with the water, vinegar, and cleaner I filled it back up with engine ice and it runs quite a bit cooler. No overheating or any of that. Sitting in my garage today it was about 90F and it went up to 220, fan kicked on, dropped to 209, fan turned off and then did that cycle one more time and settled around 216+/- 1 degree for about 5 or 6 minutes until I shut it off. Success!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Hardcore

I appreciate this thread. It's 4th of July, no speed shops open to buy Engine Ice, gonna have to go with EG and distilled water. I was thinking of doing an xtra few "swishes" w/distilled water and compressed air anyway before I add the EG, but now I'm DEF gonna do it, thanks.

2009 CBR Repsol, 2nd owner-
Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 AM
child_of_fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
I appreciate this thread. It's 4th of July, no speed shops open to buy Engine Ice, gonna have to go with EG and distilled water. I was thinking of doing an xtra few "swishes" w/distilled water and compressed air anyway before I add the EG, but now I'm DEF gonna do it, thanks.
Riding with just pure distilled water is actually good for a short while. Will run cooler and will swish out the internals. No harm in that.

2017 Fireblade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page