04-07 CBR 1000rr Stator replacement
Hey guys just wanted to do a detailed write up on how to do the stator cover on my 07 blade. I’m sure there are others who posted but I just wanted to give the break down on how i troubleshooted the unit. I noticed after a low speed tip over I was losing power after running the bike on short trips with a fully charged battery. I invested further and checked all my fuses and checked for shorts continually checked voltage at the battery. I found nothing wrong. I then decided to pull my left middle cowl off and check the harness coming from the stator for continuity. It revealed that I had continuity from all of the 3 pins on the harness to ground which lead me to believe short to ground. So i ordered up a brand new stator from ricks motorsports and an oem stator cover on ebay, also got a shorai lithium ion battery which weighed 5 lbs on the nose less than the factory lead acid setup. Also got a brand new tube of honda bond high temperature gasket maker. Works amazing!
-Started loosening all of the 7mm bolts around the cover with a 3/8 drive socket in a cross pattern.
-Next step you need to be careful, get a rag and a hammer and use a flat head to gently bang/leverage the stator off. You need to be careful and be good with your hands and make sure you don’t actually scuff the actual engine. If you don’t feel comfortable have a friend hold the rag while you position your tools. Unless you don’t care... also make sure your bike is atleast on a rear stand so that it sits level and oil will not pour out of the side.
-Next you need to loosen the little 8 mm allen bolts that mount the stator to the inside of the cover. I believe there are four of them. You will also need to loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the clip that secures the wiring to the harness. I put the stator down on a towel and stepped on it so i can get leverage to break that 10mm bolt without stripping it.
-After the stator is pulled from the cover you need to clean the original cover unless you are putting a new cover in. You also need to clean the mating surface of your engine and inspect the inside of the stator for any damage. I used wd40 and a fine grit sand paper to clean the mating surface. When I was done it looked brand new, made sure no oil and moisture were on the cover or the mating surface of the engine. It needs to be cleaned to near perfection or you will not get a good bond with the gasket maker!
-Then you can install the new stator on the inside of your stator cover and tighten the 8 mm allen bolts with a T handle or a allen extension for a socket like I used. Do it in a cross pattern like you’re putting a wheel on a car. (Don’t have torque specs for the inside allen bolts) snugged them until they were tight without having to use any additional leverage on the socket.
-Then I fastened the wire/grommet metal clip with a 10mm socket wrench. I don’t have the torque specs for this bolt so i used my better judgement and tightened until snug.
-Now applying the honda bond gasket maker. Use the needle tip that comes with the kit and cut a little bit of the tip off with a linesmen or some type of scissor. This is a very important step and you need to make sure to use a very small amount of honda bond on the whole entire outer edge of the stator cover, be careful that you don’t over apply, 1) you don’t want your install looking like sloppy shit, 2) you don’t want honda bond in any of your bolt holes or area where the dowel pins are located. I used a very fine layer i’d say about 1-2mm thick line around the edge tops! Once this is done you need to be prepared to secure the stator and stator cover to the left side of the engine before the honda bond gets too dry.
-Use your judgement on how you want to fasten the cover to the engine. Someone who isn’t good with your hands might want to drain your coolant and pull your coolant hose away from the top of the stator so you can mount it evenly and not get honda bond gooped all over. I managed to mount it without making a mess without having to pull the coolant hose. Once the magnet pulled the cover in I started tightening the 7mm bolts in a cross pattern in a cross section little by little until the cover was mated to the engine. After that i gave it about 2-3 hours and came back and torqued everything to spec at 9 ft/lbs’s.
-Started bike up and let it run for about 15 minutes and had no leaks and everything came out great! Now the battery is staying charged!
Pictured below is the point of failure on the old stator. (Burnt winding)
-Sanded and cleaned mating surface
-example of how little honda bond was used to form a gasket
-and a picture of the new cover and stator installed.
Hope this helps. Please message me if you need help doing this!