04 running hot, looking to cool it down - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Paraquat

04 running hot, looking to cool it down

I have a 2004. I'm just shy of 17k now.
The bike has treated me incredibly well and I'm very pleased with its performance to date.
Last week the DOT blocked two lanes on the highway to trim trees and I was stuck on the highway. It was 93-96 degrees Fahrenheit out but my temps spiked to 224, then 232, and the next time I looked down I saw 240 so I started to lane split just to get some air movement.

My fan works. I replaced every rubber coolant hose. When I got the bike it had taken a tumble and I had a pin hole leak in the corner of the radiator. I took it out, cleaned it thoroughly, and welded it up (only stating this to alleviate any concerns of an internal clog). I got the bike with 11k miles and I would've seen a drop IF it leaked anything at all.
My exhaust is stock and heat wrapped with DEI wrap, no butterfly servo nonsense, and a Two Brother's exhaust so I don't believe there are any obstructions causing excess heat to accumulate in the exhaust system that could potentially heat soak the radiator.

Even though coolant under pressure reduces the boiling point, I'm really not comfortable with 240 degrees. I am running between a 30/70 and 50/50 mix of water to coolant. I have not tried any additives like Water Wetter and the like. I feel those are bandaids.

Is there perhaps an upgraded radiator or fan or something that can be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
motorcycle01

04 running hot, looking to cool it down

Honda sells premixed coolant (car/bike same thing, itís
Blue in color) you donít mix more water in it. Water wetter is for track because coolant is not allowed (hard to clean if spills during crash, it doesnít help in your case, itís worse then coolant as a lubricant anyways)

Check the service manual to when the two fans are suppose to come on, for 2012 they come on around those temps so it may very well be normal. I have seen my secondary fan come on at around 105C

Are you able to do complete flush? Put distilled water, start bike and bring to temp so thermostat opens, shut off, let it cool down, open drain bolt, close and put more coolant in, start again and wait for thermostat to open and keep repeating the cycle keep until clear liquid starts to come out. If you are able to do that and see
Clear liquid coming from drain bolt (you have done the complete flush) then I donít think itís clogging issue.

Make sure when you fill, keep cap open and start and rev the engine a bit just 3-4 times and shut off, fill if level goes down then put cap on and make sure reservoir is full.

All the flush steps are documented in the service manual.

Besides that I would check the thermostat if I were you to make sure itís opening up at the right temp as it should as stated in the service manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by motorcycle01; Yesterday at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

You can wire up a second fan on a manual switch. That is the preferred method for the 04-07 bikes that see hot weather and traffic.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 11:16 AM
child_of_fire

engine ice is good stuff. replace old coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page