Monster fairings Un-Boxing Part 1 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Street
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Monster fairings Un-Boxing Part 1

Hey thought I would share my experience with monster fairings. I'm putting on a custom painted set of chinese fairings on my recently new bought 12 cbr1000rr. FYI- In the video I explain why I'm putting chinese fairings on a bike I just bought off the showroom floor with zero miles (0.3 miles to be exact) a few months ago and storing my mint oem fairings.

This is the first installment. The second part will be airing in a few weeks, which will be a full how-to installation video and review on these fairings.

http://www.monsterfairings.com

Here is Part 1 Un-Boxing video:

Last edited by Street; 10-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Street is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
cbr1000_repsol_wfo
Banned Camp Counselor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: detroit, mi
Posts: 306
cool man, looking forward to see the rest of your installation. i've been thinkin about doin this to my repsol, been on a stealth kick lately.....
cbr1000_repsol_wfo is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-08-2014, 04:37 PM
NyteStalk3r
Respect the Mantis!
 
NyteStalk3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,908
Garage
Looks very interesting. Yellow is a hi-viz color. Good for safety.
2012 Blade should look pretty cool in all yellow. I hope it's not too much of a pain in the ass to swap them.
I haven't even removed any of my fairings yet, just the belly pan for oil changes.

The windscreen was a little bit of trouble though, because of the tabs and grommets.
Just gotta take your time and not break anything. Can't be in a rush to get it done, or something will break.

At least that's my experience. FWIW

2012 CBR1kRR tri-color
NyteStalk3r is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Street
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteStalk3r View Post
Looks very interesting. Yellow is a hi-viz color. Good for safety.
2012 Blade should look pretty cool in all yellow. I hope it's not too much of a pain in the ass to swap them.
I haven't even removed any of my fairings yet, just the belly pan for oil changes.

The windscreen was a little bit of trouble though, because of the tabs and grommets.
Just gotta take your time and not break anything. Can't be in a rush to get it done, or something will break.

At least that's my experience. FWIW
The fairings on this 12 blade are easy to remove and install EXCEPT the upper fairing, while not difficult, it's a tedious task because the headlights are attached to the upper fairing so you have to remove the left airbox, undo the hoses and the plugs (about 6 plugs., then remove everything off of the upper fairing.

I also had them send me a black tank cover as well, so I'll let you guys vote on which looks better, the matching yellow tank cover or the black tank cover that has the bike looking like the 2008 yellow/black color scheme which I've always been fond of.
Street is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 AM
cbr1000_repsol_wfo
Banned Camp Counselor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: detroit, mi
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street View Post
The fairings on this 12 blade are easy to remove and install EXCEPT the upper fairing, while not difficult, it's a tedious task because the headlights are attached to the upper fairing so you have to remove the left airbox, undo the hoses and the plugs (about 6 plugs., then remove everything off of the upper fairing.

I also had them send me a black tank cover as well, so I'll let you guys vote on which looks better, the matching yellow tank cover or the black tank cover that has the bike looking like the 2008 yellow/black color scheme which I've always been fond of.
FWIW, i just removed all the fairings on my 13 yesterday. i didn't have to remove all the stuff you mentioned for the front nose. i just removed the 2 side screws holding the headlight/fairing assembly to the front of the bike and that allowed me to pull the assembly out enough to get to those 2 screws holding the fairing on in the back (those are the tough ones to get to) but if you pull out the assembly you can get a screwdriver in there to remove them. also there is one screw kind of difficult to get through from the bottom (under the front nose, holding the fairing on) but not too bad.
cbr1000_repsol_wfo is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Street
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000_repsol_wfo View Post
FWIW, i just removed all the fairings on my 13 yesterday. i didn't have to remove all the stuff you mentioned for the front nose. i just removed the 2 side screws holding the headlight/fairing assembly to the front of the bike and that allowed me to pull the assembly out enough to get to those 2 screws holding the fairing on in the back (those are the tough ones to get to) but if you pull out the assembly you can get a screwdriver in there to remove them. also there is one screw kind of difficult to get through from the bottom (under the front nose, holding the fairing on) but not too bad.
How did you pull that off with the digital dash in the way? It's impossible to get to the top two screws that holding the headlight assembly to the upper fairing without removing the upper fairing/headlight assembly all as one unit. Maybe they made it easier to remove the upper fairing on the 2013? Mine is a 2012 model.
Even this professional Japanese Honda technician does it the same way I did:

Last edited by Street; 10-11-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Street is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 AM
NyteStalk3r
Respect the Mantis!
 
NyteStalk3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,908
Garage
The bike in the video has the same windscreen mine has. Except mine is the light-smoke tinted version.


2012 CBR1kRR tri-color
NyteStalk3r is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM
cbr1000_repsol_wfo
Banned Camp Counselor
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: detroit, mi
Posts: 306
i removed the windscreen first, then the mirrors. With the side fairings already off, @1:17 he removes the 2 side screws (one on each side) that hold the headlight assembly (and nose fairing, but not shown in my photos because i already had it off). at this point you can pull the whole headlight/fairing assembly outward enough to get a small screwdriver back there (i actually used the one that came with the bike)(there is also one screw that holds the nose fairing to the headlight assembly up from the bottom underneath you can remove). i didn't have to disconnect all the wire harnesses, hoses, air ducts, etc... just use a bit of muscle to pull the assembly outward, everything will move with it, just don't pull too much to damage anything. that's a 13, should be the same as a 12' but not 100% sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13cbr1000rr nose bolts.jpg (270.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3534.jpg (972.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3535.jpg (816.8 KB, 12 views)
cbr1000_repsol_wfo is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Street
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000_repsol_wfo View Post
i removed the windscreen first, then the mirrors. With the side fairings already off, @1:17 he removes the 2 side screws (one on each side) that hold the headlight assembly (and nose fairing, but not shown in my photos because i already had it off). at this point you can pull the whole headlight/fairing assembly outward enough to get a small screwdriver back there (i actually used the one that came with the bike)(there is also one screw that holds the nose fairing to the headlight assembly up from the bottom underneath you can remove). i didn't have to disconnect all the wire harnesses, hoses, air ducts, etc... just use a bit of muscle to pull the assembly outward, everything will move with it, just don't pull too much to damage anything. that's a 13, should be the same as a 12' but not 100% sure.
Ok I see what you did, I'll try that next time, saves a little bit of time. Thanks for posting the pictures and explaining what you did.
Street is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Street
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Street is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome