2017 SP2 full system tune. - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Chase Nu

Simply put, I'm looking at installing a full system akrapovic exhaust on my new SP2. My only concerns are: how easy is it to tune an sp2 to a new exhaust, get more power out of the bike, AND have no error codes. Can a simple shop do this? Because something tells me this will be a pain and all the Honda dealership in my area are absolute garbage. I have a really reliable shop in my area known for good work but I've heard the SP2 can be a bit of a nightmare to get rid of all the restrictions on the bike AND keep the ECU/creature comforts the way Honda intended for them to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 AM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

You only have 1 choice to unlock the full potential of the SP2. Woolich tune.

Do not listen to any other advice - if you do you'll fuck it all up.

Do not remove any emission component until the moment of the tuning flash.

If you do, you'll fuck it all up.

This story has been relayed and experienced and posted about enough that a search should answer everything

US bikes are ETV restricted to 73% throttle from 10,000rpm or so to 13,500rpm.

The rest of the world rev to 13,800rpm.

With a proper Woolich tune and a decent full exhaust, you will go from about 165rwhp to about 185rwhp depending on the nuances of your tuners dyno.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 AM
Danos Performance
Vendor

post #4 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Chase Nu

So once it's flashed, THEN remove emissions junk?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Danos Performance
Vendor

Yes with these bikes you don't want there to be any errors on the dash before you flash the ecu otherwise the ecu becomes a useless brick. Thanks Dan
post #6 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Death CBR SP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Nu View Post
Simply put, I'm looking at installing a full system akrapovic exhaust on my new SP2. My only concerns are: how easy is it to tune an sp2 to a new exhaust, get more power out of the bike, AND have no error codes. Can a simple shop do this? Because something tells me this will be a pain and all the Honda dealership in my area are absolute garbage. I have a really reliable shop in my area known for good work but I've heard the SP2 can be a bit of a nightmare to get rid of all the restrictions on the bike AND keep the ECU/creature comforts the way Honda intended for them to be.
I would call Bauce Racing in New Jersey ..
post #7 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Chase Nu

I got really lucky I live in CT and Toce exhausts will tune it with the full system akra(apparently one of the guys there is good friends with the woolich group)

Also, just as a precaution, im out of break-in period and was seeing where the power is on the bike. At the very top end of 6th gear I lost all power but the engine just engine braked down and held to about 90mph. Gears shifted fine manually and with blipper, engine sounded good, did I just hit a limitation/governor? Rookie question I know, this is just my first cbr and my first NEW bike, coming from 09 GSXR/ 11 GSXR platform which had no electronics.
post #8 of 12 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I got really lucky I live in CT and Toce exhausts will tune it with the full system akra(apparently one of the guys there is good friends with the woolich group)

Also, just as a precaution, im out of break-in period and was seeing where the power is on the bike. At the very top end of 6th gear I lost all power but the engine just engine braked down and held to about 90mph. Gears shifted fine manually and with blipper, engine sounded good, did I just hit a limitation/governor? Rookie question I know, this is just my first cbr and my first NEW bike, coming from 09 GSXR/ 11 GSXR platform which had no electronics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
You only have 1 choice to unlock the full potential of the SP2. Woolich tune.

Do not listen to any other advice - if you do you'll fuck it all up.

Do not remove any emission component until the moment of the tuning flash.

If you do, you'll fuck it all up.

This story has been relayed and experienced and posted about enough that a search should answer everything

US bikes are ETV restricted to 73% throttle from 10,000rpm or so to 13,500rpm.

The rest of the world rev to 13,800rpm.

With a proper Woolich tune and a decent full exhaust, you will go from about 165rwhp to about 185rwhp depending on the nuances of your tuners dyno.
See above.
And if you truly did run to 13,500rpm in 6th gear you hit the rev limiter. Although at about 165rwhp pulling all the way to 13,500rpm in 6th should have taken a while.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

post #9 of 12 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Death CBR SP2

Quote:

I highly recommend going to a shop that has tuned our bikes like Bauce Racing .. as RC45 stated, there are a bunch of nuances to our bike. At least owe it to yourself to call Bauce Racing and speak to Anthony and make your own decision vs. choosing a local shop that you know that has never tuned a CBR SP2. The prep work for our bikes is not typical and can save a ton of issues on your side.

trust me
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death CBR SP2 View Post
I highly recommend going to a shop that has tuned our bikes like Bauce Racing .. as RC45 stated, there are a bunch of nuances to our bike. At least owe it to yourself to call Bauce Racing and speak to Anthony and make your own decision vs. choosing a local shop that you know that has never tuned a CBR SP2. The prep work for our bikes is not typical and can save a ton of issues on your side.

trust me
Death is speaking from experience...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page