Cafe racer. (Not a cbr 1000 but question about using parts) - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
jpwhre

Cafe racer. (Not a cbr 1000 but question about using parts)

I've had dirt bikes and have rode others, but my very first street bike back in 1990 (I'm aware most here weren't born yet) was a 1982 Honda CM450E

Over the last few years I've realized that a modded CBR1000RR in a city (500k+ population) with city streets ranging from 25mph - 45mph (most 30-40) riding around on a bike that can do entire city (including highway 65mph limit) in first great without breaking a sweat is a bit of overkill. I have since been looking for something more suited for the streets, either a 600 (any make just something for sensibility/can have a passenger) or doing a cafe racer. But what? Well, go back to roots.

I've searched high and low to find my first bike (just year and make, not actually hunting down MY FIRST BIKE)

Last week it fell in my hand by no other means but "hey, what's in the background of that picture of your bike?"

Fast forward a couple days and I'm Google-n pictures of it "cafe-d out" and I come across a picture with what appeared to be sitting on either a cbr600 or cbr1000 suspension. Full. Forks, rims, swing arm, breaks... full load.

I'm waiting on my Carrozzeria rims to come in for my RR7 so I'll have a set of stocks laying around. I can fab a rear with no problem, but I'm concerned with the trouble of how the triple would fit the front.

If it will be easy, I'll either hunt down in pieces the suspension parts, or hunt down 600/1000 wrecked or blown motor for donor posts.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190919_165616.jpg (1.27 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1b34244df10abdb8ab2180774d36b4f1.jpg (70.7 KB, 8 views)

RR7
D&D slip on
Driven racing steal 530 17/42.
RK-X CHAIN
Driven racing pair block off.
Power Commander 5.
Power Commander Auto Tune add on.
Gutted intake box.
K&N track only filters (elimates stock Venturi restrictors).
ASV levers.
Dyno tuned.
Stock suspension set up to my weight and riding position.
Aftermarket plastics from auctmart.
Waiting on Carrozzeria rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-05-2019, 04:13 PM
swoopp

Not easy. But, doable as you can see.

BLAH BLAH BLAH
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 02:40 PM
berlinas2k

Check out cognito moto- I have their upper triple with risers on 600rr forks on my cm450. Depending on what forks you go with, you may also need bearings, which can be found through all balls racing.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM
aboogie973

They have some pretty good options out there. You can build one, but may need to have machine shop do fabrication on certain parts. It is duo able.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
jpwhre

Well I ended up finding a site, you input year, make, model of bike and it spits out a list of just about every bike ever made and gives the part number for upper and lower head bearings for the front you are planning to use. Ordered them. Also ordered stock race assembly for the 450. Bike frame and front end at a machine shop that does custom work for motorcycles. When parts come in, either of the bearings should work, last resort the stem will be pressed out of 450 triple and fitted into the cbr929 front end. I got the apex 6 wheels in and are at a shop to get powder coated. The stock front wheel fits the 929 perfectly.

Next hurdle is the rear. I have a complete 07 cbr1000rr swing arm coming from same place I got front (sitting on porch waiting for big brown truck) that has master and caliper, rim with no tire, shock and links. What I need is mounting measurement. The center stand on 450 is going to come off and it looks like a great place to bolt the lower links, I just don't know from there where the swing arm bolts to the frame (measurement above and forward) so I can have shop make plates to weld onto 450 frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191202_175706.jpg (1.19 MB, 4 views)

Last edited by jpwhre; 12-02-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add pic
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 AM
aboogie973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
Well I ended up finding a site, you input year, make, model of bike and it spits out a list of just about every bike ever made and gives the part number for upper and lower head bearings for the front you are planning to use. Ordered them. Also ordered stock race assembly for the 450. Bike frame and front end at a machine shop that does custom work for motorcycles. When parts come in, either of the bearings should work, last resort the stem will be pressed out of 450 triple and fitted into the cbr929 front end. I got the apex 6 wheels in and are at a shop to get powder coated. The stock front wheel fits the 929 perfectly.

Next hurdle is the rear. I have a complete 07 cbr1000rr swing arm coming from same place I got front (sitting on porch waiting for big brown truck) that has master and caliper, rim with no tire, shock and links. What I need is mounting measurement. The center stand on 450 is going to come off and it looks like a great place to bolt the lower links, I just don't know from there where the swing arm bolts to the frame (measurement above and forward) so I can have shop make plates to weld onto 450 frame.

That is cool you found a site to purchase the parts from and list. Do you have the link? Next, you can do a mock up to give you an ideal of where to mount the swing arm. A good machine shop will be able to point you in the right direction.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
jpwhre

https://www.allballsracing.com/forkconversion

RR7
D&D slip on
Driven racing steal 530 17/42.
RK-X CHAIN
Driven racing pair block off.
Power Commander 5.
Power Commander Auto Tune add on.
Gutted intake box.
K&N track only filters (elimates stock Venturi restrictors).
ASV levers.
Dyno tuned.
Stock suspension set up to my weight and riding position.
Aftermarket plastics from auctmart.
Waiting on Carrozzeria rims.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 AM
aboogie973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page