Patch or replace rear tire - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Hank1955
Hank

Patch or replace rear tire

Got a nail in my rear tire. Still has lots of tread, less than 3000 miles on it. Is it safe to patch the tire(tubeless) or Should I replace it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Liquid_IQ

I'm sure others will chime in, but from what I've heard due to the flexing of the tire it is difficult and/or not recommended to patch them. Plus if it fails there is a greater risk for personal injury.

Basically you will find two camps - those who have done it with no issues, and those who will never do it or have had issues. According to some manufacturers, it is "ok" to patch them, but limit speeds to under 75mph:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SJJ5htD.jpg (219.8 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Shinji43
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I'm in that "go ahead and patch" category, but with caveats. I've seen it go both ways. Had a buddy catch a nail, patch his tire and all is well, for a bit. Then he went and shot out the plug a few days later, but in all honestly he likes doing burnouts, hard launches, fast/hard riding, etc. so not all that surprising for him (even though he was told to take it easy, lol). Fortunately in my group of friends between all of us we have a good portion of situations covered, so another friend had a patch kit on him to re-patch.
I ended up catching a screw in my '07's rear tire right in-between tread grooves a couple years back, the tire was quite literally brand new (less than 500mi). Realized it later cause it caused a slow leak and went flat a couple hrs after parked, so I plugged it and it's been holding ever since to this day. As mentioned previously though, I don't ride the '07 hard anymore anyway, and I keep a close eye on it: pre-ride, periodically during stops, and post-ride tire checks to make sure it's holding air still and plug isn't migrating or anything weird like that, so I'm sure that helps in maintaining it. If you do decide to plug it, just always be mindful that you are riding on a plugged tire and take it easy I'd say.

2003 CBR 954RR (Track Only)
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol Edition
2017 CBR 1000RR SP #093

Last edited by Shinji43; 05-06-2019 at 06:12 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

I know many people who ride patched/plugged tires, a couple who wear them to chords showing with several plugs in the tire and still no issues.
I got a nail in a 90 mile old tire. I replaced it. I won't do repaired moto tires [unlike cars, who cares then]

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 87K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
post #5 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM
captain_basem

Garage
I had a nail in my 600RR a few years ago, tire was literally brand new - I ended up patching it and it lasted for 2months before my patch began to leak, at which point I re-patched it, and got the tire replaced!

I think it'll come down to how hard you drive the bike (as another member mentioned) - if you're not going too crazy on it, I don't believe plugging it will be a problem.

Honda did offer to plug it for me as well (they plug it from the inside of the tire).

It's definitely one of those two camp topics, and it'll come down to what gives you best piece of mind (I never had that confidence knowing I had a plug in my tire, so I took it more or less easy on it).

Good Luck!

Basem

2012 CBR1000RR ABS HRC
CS Racing Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
GP Shifter
post #6 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM
hardcoremofonigg
FEB 2016 BOTM

Get a plug patch. I got a nail in my rear tire with less then 250 miles. Had the shop do a plug patch and not even a leak. Donít get me wrong I wonít be doing any high speed runs but as far as the twistes I push just as hard as before the repair.

06 Blue&Yellow1kRR
Power Commander 3
Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet CF
Carrozzerias V-Tracks (Yellow)
Annitori RL Quickshift
Sticky Michelins 34F/36R
Galfer Steel Braided Lines
ProGrips SBK Black
Pearl Flash Yellow Sargent Seat
EK X Ring Chain
Yuasa YTZ10s
Balls Of Steel
Light Rider Mod(135lbs)
Bell Star Isle Of Man Helmet

2013 Daytona Charger #1052(cager) Blue Beast
post #7 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 10:40 AM
mrstott

Garage
I've plugged a couple tires with great results. It's called Stop & Go Tubeless Tire Plugger. Google it, saved me a couple times.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 PM
xrotor

Garage
Some thoughts on tire repair......

Hi - I had a nail in my tire at the beginning of last season and I gave serious consideration of what to do. I have a couple of points that have not been mentioned I think...

First off I had a fresh set Q3's on my bike. The TPMS system shows the tire decreasing in pressure slowly and I discover a nail in rear. Getting home was no problem.

So here was my reasoning for going with 5$ plug repair kit:

1) My bike is used for commuting, getting groceries and casual stuff... so absolute assurance at high speed I don't need. The Q3's have a Z rating so at 30% of their rated speed I expect they have some structural reserve.

2) I have a TPMS and it is proven to show leaks. I really like having the TPMS and is not expensive or hard to install

3) I just take a look and monitor the site where the plug is for any signs of distortion.

4) The puncture was a clean nail hole with no tearing or other issues.

5) I am mostly a local rider, so most of the time it would be east to get home if I got an pressure warning on the TPMS

I happened to take a few picks.

I notice the plug has kind of smeared into the rain groove but the tire is without bumps and has had no issues. I will be changing the tire in a week or so. I am just waiting on some new T-valve stems.

I suppose the point is that each owner needs to make their own assessment of their puncture and their tolerance for risk.

regards

Last edited by xrotor; 05-10-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: bad grammar - fixed pics
post #9 of 10 Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 AM
rule62

Get a proper mushroom-style plug, which installs from the inside of the tire, and you'll be good to go... all the way down to the cords.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM
shorelasCBR

Garage
It's crazy to patch a motorcycle tire and risk your life for a $100 or so, especially on a sport/track bike. Bite the bullet, replace it, and live to ride another day...!

"Too soon old, too late schmart"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page