Dunlop q3+ users - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Dunlop q3+ users

Has anyone else found that the center of the q3+ is a bit too hard? The first 750 miles were fine but now I seem to be sliding the ass all over the place braking. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience. I know the center compound is harder on the q3+ and if Im using the back brake hard enough to lock Im pretty upright, so maybe thats all it is. Its a great tire and I really like it but it would be great to get other opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 AM
jamstoyz
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Whatís your pressure set at? I always run q3ís And never had an issue.

17 CBR 1000RR SP2 #44
12 CBR1000RR
post #3 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ill check, thanks. Its just straight line braking that is greasy and it seems the back tire only so that could be an issue. I was just getting confident enough with the new tires to burn off the rest of the chicken strips and now this has me spooked. There are some corners by me that will unexpectedly have gravel or rocks on them and Ill need to pull out of the corner and try to slow down without losing the front tire. I figure it was because of the dual compound but maybe pressure is the key. I was going to nitrogen them up seeings as I have a 6k psi nitrogen tank in the garage for pcp air guns anyway. I just need whatever adapter to hook up to the regulator.

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
1999 ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson
1984 Goldwing Aspencade (WIP bought after a light deer smashing)
1983 LTD550 (WIP cafe project for friends to ride)

post #4 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 12:04 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

Putting nitrogen in your tires is a complete waste. It is a sales gimmick by tire stores to sell you something that you don't need. Our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen anyway. What you should not do is use a compressor with moisture in the tank. Make sure your tank has been drained recently or use a floor pump to fill the tires. The moisture in the tire will do much more to alter your cold/hot pressure variance than the little bit of CO2 and O2 in there.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #5 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 PM
outsider819

Location: Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan66 View Post
Putting nitrogen in your tires is a complete waste. It is a sales gimmick by tire stores to sell you something that you don't need. Our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen anyway. What you should not do is use a compressor with moisture in the tank. Make sure your tank has been drained recently or use a floor pump to fill the tires. The moisture in the tire will do much more to alter your cold/hot pressure variance than the little bit of CO2 and O2 in there.

Hell, I work in a shop that does tires, Saiyan ain't lying. But yes, you want the air as dry as possible for tires, I guess if you had nitrogen around anyway it's nice and dry at least, but yeah, don't buy the line at the tire store about it.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Yeah, thats the main point of the nitrogen for the pcp guns is the lack of water. I have it here anyway and at the psi I use theres plenty for tires and stuff when my tank gets low and I get ready to swap it out.
My new question is... do I just keep lowering pressure until I find a sweet spot?

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
post #7 of 14 Old 08-12-2019, 05:13 PM
bored&stroked
Can't Spell

I run 41psi and have no issues. Here's an idea:
You said its your rear tire under braking. Perhaps the front is so sticky your using it extra hard and your loosing weight on the rear, hence the lockups. Use your fronts hard enough and the rear is completely useless for braking anyways. I suggest you stop using the rear brake completely and learn to brake correctly.

'06 F4i: racetech front springs+valves, ohlins rear shock, steel brake lines, 'mura slipon, 88K miles
'08 600RR- steel brake lines, shorty brake lever. Stripped track bike.
'15 1000RR- Flapper mod, 08-11 gauge swap, hotbodies fender eliminator
post #8 of 14 Old 08-12-2019, 11:55 PM
outsider819

You'll probably want to discuss with someone far smarter than I, but could this be as much a suspension set up issue as a tire issue?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider819 View Post
You'll probably want to discuss with someone far smarter than I, but could this be as much a suspension set up issue as a tire issue?
I think you could be on to something too, or I think its part of it anyway. All I did was check and set it back to what the book said to have for stock setting. Im pretty sure no one in my area is capable of setting it up for my weight. So where do I go or do I find settings for my weight and set it myself?

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 PM
outsider819

Well, have to confess to knowing more about setting up dirt scooters than sport bikes, but some universal rules are, first ensure you have the correct springs for your weight, and then set the sag at both ends.

If I were in your shoes I'd get in touch with someone like LDH on here, or go to someone like Dave Moss's site and start reading. Honestly, suspension and chassis is probably the most valuable and most ignored place to focus on improving a bike for almost any situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page