REAL sport boots and protective pants - I ignored @ my peril - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 8 Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

REAL sport boots and protective pants - I ignored @ my peril

Hello, I recently had a crash. You can read a few details about it here:
https://www.1000rr.net/forums/modifi...f-u-crash.html

I've always been pretty diligent about wearing protective gear....
Jackets designed specifically to protect a biker (I have a few different types, from vented leather to summer mesh w/armor)
Gloves, summer and winter, simple soft leather to MC specific
Helmet
Ear plugs (I know, it's not the same thing, but I'm 55 and I can still hear 16K)
Long pants, usually a few layers, like jeans and a loose running-suit type pant over.
Boots, engineer style. Listed on one MC apparel website as "THUG type"

But it's the pants and the boots I want to address here. My last crash really banged me up bad. But if I had been wearing a protective mesh summer riding pant and real sport rider boots designed with foot, ankle and calf protection in mind, I would have most likely avoided some pretty nasty injuries.

My left hip was SO black and blue, man, you can't even stand it. But it was a typical trauma, a contusion, and it healed up without issue. My left lower leg, however, is a different story. The stupid engineer boot style which I've been wearing "forever" have a split leather upper, and there are buckles right on the outside of the split. So if you go down hard enough in that type of boot, the buckle will get driven into your leg.

I had what first presented as a very minor abrasion on the outside of my left calf, when I got home from the crash. Not even bleeding really, just like a bad scrape. I scrubbed it with some alcohol/water mix and called it a day. But there was also a very pronounced lump. Not like a normal swelling. I imagine the bike slammed down hard and drove the road and my engineer boot buckle hard into my leg. There was gravel in the calf when I cleaned it. it was a severe trauma to my leg.

Eventually the pain from blood NOT being able to circulate down and back in my left leg drove me to visit the ER, maybe 5 days after the crash. I feared compartment syndrome, or deep vein thrombosis. DVT's worst complication is pulmonary embolism, which can kill you. Fast. I don't go to doctors very much. I have faith my body will heal with the right nutrition. But I have a daughter. The thought of me passing away in an easy chair w/my leg up, from a PE, because I was too stubborn or lazy to go to the ER... it didn't seem a fair legacy.

I was cleared of DVT via an ultrasound, and of fracture via x-ray. I was sent home with a Rx for antibiotics, and a diagnosis of cellulitis. I did not take the antibiotics (Keflex) because there was no reason to assume I had an infection. The hospital did not go over my discharge papers and never told me they suspected cellulitis. (But my 14 yr old daughter DID. So I researched it and thought later, when it became worse, Hmmm, she may be right.)

It got much worse. And as it got worse the swelling progressed faster and faster. On a Mon morning 7:30am appt with my reg Dr., about a week and a 1/2 after my first ER visit, she advised me "go back to the ER NOW. That's a bad infection." They lanced and excised it, blah blah blah. Gross. IV antibiotics, DEEP hole in my leg, packed, needing daily dressings... Ahhhh GROSS!!!!!! They cultured it and later called me and told me it was MRSA. They said don't bother taking the Keflex, it won't do anything, take only the Bactrim. So was I right in not taking the Keflex initially?

So enough medical. My point? If I had been wearing real sportbike racing boots, with protection designed for feet and legs, and MC-specific pants designed likewise, I would have limped away from my high-side with minor bruisin and been FINE. I've always purchased specialty jackets and gloves, but I've been lax about pants and boots.

I ain't gonna do it no more. I'm done with "half the gear I need". I'll find room in my backpack to stuff regular shoes for regular walking when I dismount. From now on, when I go on a real MC ride, like miles and miles away where I know I will encounter some really nice roads, I will be wearing whatever gear affords me the BEST advantage to NOT have to go to the ER if I (or some other motorist) makes another STUPID mistake.

I'm currently looking at SEDICI or Aplinestars boots in the $180-200 range. The pants, I may already have, a modular protective rain pant with zip-out lining. I loaned it to a friend long ago. I'm waiting to hear back from him...

I hope I spare someone this kind of nonsense by recommending protective pants and real racing boots. I'm kinda poor right now, so I've been on Medicaid since the summer of 2017. I haven't used it until now, but it's unbelievably excellent. I've had 2 visits to the ER, and been to a wound healing center about 3 times. With their advice, plus my nutrition regimen and applications of Manuka honey, my leg is now 90% healed.

Funny, a few years ago I was making about $75/k year, but if I'd had that accident while working for that multi-billion company, I would have had to pay for everything out of pocket until my $1,250 deductible was met.

It shouldn't PAY to be poor.

2009 CBR Repsol, 2nd owner-
Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2018, 05:11 PM
saiyan66
Stand and fight!

Glad to hear you are on the "full protection" bandwagon. You are right, it doesn't pay to have substandard protective gear. You only get one body. I have had great luck with the Alpinestars SMX+ boots. They are creaky to walk around it but comfortable and the protection is very good for the money.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

Cool, thx for the rec. I'll check them out.

Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Liquid_IQ

I have found the Sidi's to be the most comfortable boots. I currently have the ST's because I like the ankle brace. They come in "air" (vented) and non-vented. They also have a bunch of replaceable wear parts in the higher-end models. They run true to size, the Alpinestars run about one size large.

Make sure to PM TJ @RidersDiscount for a price, they usually are hard to beat if they carry the item.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Hank1955
Hank

My friends give me crap for wearing all my protective gear. I wear a Bell Star helmet, Alpinestars jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. I'm 63 years old but still in decent shape. Not much meat on my bones I can afford to have scraped off. I just ignore them and ride.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 12:30 AM
outsider819

Location: Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
Hello, I recently had a crash. You can read a few details about it here:
https://www.1000rr.net/forums/modifi...f-u-crash.html

Sorry to read about your crash(es) and injuries, but glad you made it and are on the road back.

As for gear, really not worth it not to wear ATGATT (Trust me, you don't want to find out the hard way what "de-gloved" means. DO NOT google it...). You can get a pretty decent boot with good protection for not too much money, I've had good experiences with SIDI and Alpinestars, and as for pants, although leather beats textiles, textiles beat shorts or jeans and road rash all to hell.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 11:26 PM
2015HRC

Garage
If you are looking for a "shoe like" riding boot check out the Alpinestars SMX-1R. I bought them over the winter and have been riding with them every day so far this year. I love them!!!!!
They are tennis shoe like comfortable right out of the box, held up great so far, and only get more comfortable as time goes on.
Full heal cup, toe box, replacable slider, and shifter toe pad. Super flexible and comfortable, easy to walk in, great traction and overall feel

Cons:
Alpinestars sizing chart sucks! plan on getting a full size to a size in a half smaller than you normally wear. I wear a 10.5 in most shoes, wearing a 9 in Alpinestars.
The boot feels like it would pull off in a crash due to the side zipper and velcro straps. Might just be the design and how flexible and comfortable they are giving me that feeling but luckily I have yet to find out.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

I am thankful to those recommending gear you use and like, and for the positive and kind words! Yes I would really like a riding/walkable boot so I am going to look at those SMX-1R's. Total value in the tip about sizing, THX!

I took my first real ride of the season today, about 90 miles round trip, with 15 yr old daughter. God I love that Repsol SP edition but alas, you only ride alone on that bike. Bike runs beautifully, handles and rides w/cruise control like the accident never happened. I think w/the new engine cover the total repair bill after the accident was something like $240. The Bohn armor pants (used them for the 1st time) were $159. I still have yet to purchase boots. They are the next thing.

And NO, I have not, and will not, Google "de-gloved". I don't like nasty pictures in my head! I don't ever ride in shorts, unless it's 20mph around the corner to a neighbor's house or something. And when we took off for home after this most recent trip, I corrected myself when I told my girl we gotta "HIT the road."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page