Hearing Protection/Earplugs - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
JessHorner23

Hearing Protection/Earplugs

I've been trying to find the best motorcycle hearing protection I can get but it seems like the threads they're on are too old. Let me start this one and ask you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I actually found a pair of hearing protection from Big Ear. It's one of the brands that were recommended in a post back in 2008. Searched them and also found them on YouTube. HERE is the eaplugs I liked most but I still haven't decided yet if I'll buy them or not.

https://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000rr...r-plugs-5.html

https://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000rr...arplugs-2.html

Life is short...so make it worth your while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 AM
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have two very different options for you. The first and cheapest is a big jumbo box of Howard Leight plugs from amazon. They work great and at that bulk price you can have a couple pairs in each jacket or pant or trunk or wherever. The second is earbuds called Riderx1 from a company call eaos. They fit under a helmet and offer great sound reduction (I think better than the highly rated ear plugs) with the added bonus of having tunes. They are kinda pricey but worth it in my book, pretty good sound and a mic for calls also.

Edit: I just realized you are only talking about ones with sound, sorry about that. The rider x1's might be something for you to try then.

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
1999 ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson
1984 Goldwing Aspencade (WIP bought after a light deer smashing)
1983 LTD550 (WIP cafe project for friends to ride)
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 AM
icrashbikes

The Big Ear plugs look pretty cool. I used to ride a very loud R1 with regular foam earplugs because I didn't want to get deaf any faster. I've also considered earplugs for skydiving but the issue with both is that you can't hear all the stuff you need to hear when your ears are plugged up. I recently got a pair of Decibullz moldable earplugs for shooting that are filtered to let ambient noise in and tune out the gunshots. They work pretty well. I never considered that solution might apply to other areas. The CBR doesn't abuse my ears like the R1 did but the wind noise is always a factor. I'm going to do some reading, I may give these guys a shot.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Paraquat

I've been a big advocate of Plugfones since their inception and kickstarter.
OSHA compliant 25 dB reducing ear plugs that are also headphones. I had their beta bluetooth and it was okay but just got their latest bluetooth and I'm very pleased.
If you shop around the wired are ~25 a pair and they last me about 4 months of daily use.
The bluetooth are anywhere between 50 and 75 and I've only had them for a week so I can't speak to their longevity.

plugfones.com
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 10:11 AM
CBR-SP
Premium Member

I've been using "Ear Piece" brand for a few years now and they are the perfect solution for any situation. You can go to their web site at the link I posted for detailed info. I have several sets of them with a set sitting by my helmet, so I don't forget them(!) plus another attached to my back-pack, and more in the tool box for spares.

https://www.earpeace.com/

`11 Ducati 1198 SP SuperBike Ducati Corse = The Big Dog

`12 Ducati 1100 SP Hypermotard Ducati Corse = The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Superbike = The Land Rocket

`15 Honda CBR1000RR SP Superbike Repsol = The Last One(!?)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

3M foam ear plugs for me. 32db noise reduction and super comfy. Plus I get them free from work.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Interloper

Garage
I use these suckers;
https://www.alpinehearingprotection....motosafe-race/

couple of different grades on the site but these are rated to 30 dB
post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 AM
camman

I use Surefire ep-3 Sonic defenders. Great all day comfort and they have like a little tab that you can pull out and still hear the important things.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 AM
bonjo

Must say because of my age and tinnitus I cannot ride at more the 40mph witough ear plugs.

I use disposable ones (EAR soft FX) rated at 39db which works fine for me but which one works for you depends on the shape of your ear.

I tried the ones with removeable filter inserts,; uncomfortable and too loud.

I have not tried custome made ones because of price and my hairy ears (I don't know how the fit behaves when the hair grows)
post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Paraquat

I've had the bluetooth from Plugfones for a month now and I was even able to have a phone call inside my Scorpion 650.
The other party said it sounded a little bit like I was in a tunnel, but I was clear and distinguishable, and I have a Two Brother's exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page