Jaybird180's 2006 Fireblade transition and upgrade - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 157 Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Jaybird180's 2006 Fireblade transition and upgrade

Being inspired by some of the notable build threads on this forum, I thought that I'd also take to the medium to document and share my work on my 2006 CBR1000RR and that hopefully I might inform as well as entertain others as well as create a history for the bike.

Many of the posts will be reverie until I catch up to present time. Fortunately, I've posted or shared pics with friends and family in various places and can retrieve many of them but I apologize in advance if I happen to post anything out of time sequence. I'll try to correct that with a narrative.

I hope you guys will be inclined to subscribe as I begin to fill this thread with content.

-06 CBR1000RR- (Track/Street)(Build Thread) (Version 2.0)
-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
-02 CBR600F4i (Track/Street) (was mine and now hers)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Rearsets, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Ohlins-Racetech&Showa custom Suspension
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100
-07 CRF50F (son's), PW50 (sold)
-13 CRF110F 01 XR50 (Daughter's)
Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Skeletor
MYAAH!

Lookin forward to the progress

Bazzaz Z-Fi,Z-Bomb,Yoshimura R77 slip-on,exhaust cable/flapper delete,PAIR&flapper mod,HID low beam(5k),mirrors gone,Lightech mirror block off plates,Lightech chain adjusters,bar end mirror,Pazzo shorty levers(milled billet aluminum),Zero Gravity SR windscreen(dark smoke),front decal removed,side/rear reflectors removed,SpeedMetal tank protector,Puig rear tire hugger,SpeedMetal swing arm slider spools,Targa fender eliminator,Motodynamic sequential LED tail light(smoke tinted)
post #3 of 157 Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Rider X
Here for a good time

Bring it

post #4 of 157 Old 06-23-2017, 01:16 PM
icrashbikes

Rock and roll
post #5 of 157 Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Post #5 should be copy/paste as follows:

Sorry for the delayed updates guys, I'm having a problem setting up Photobucket on my work computer- I might actually have to do it at home, imagine that!

At least I can provide this tidbit from my TALES FROM THE GARAGE
(edit 7/30/2017- this image added for dramatic effect, but it is my image- it’s my custom designed fairings arrived to my front door…er…garage)

Last night I took one of my (cheap) chain tools out of it's misery. and it's a shame too...stupid me decided to use the tool with a bent pin - thought I could get away with it and I snapped the tool's steel U-shaped part using my impact wrench. It's trash now. Glad I have my Motion Pro- even with one of the anvil's broken (I don't think I need that anyway- but I can order a new one).

After breaking the chain free - I removed the front sprocket and sprayed the area with Powersports Simple Green (it's not green in color) and let it drip into my oil catch pan. Tonight I'll take a rag to the area and clean it properly - there's chain gunk there and I've never been able to clean it properly until now, which is why it's on my task list.

After riveting the chain back on (hopefully tonight) I'll be done with the truly mechanical work on the bike and then it's just a little electrical wiring, bodywork and other aesthetic bits.

Last night I took one of my (cheap) chain tools out of it's misery. and it's a shame too...stupid me decided to use the tool with a bent pin - thought I could get away with it and I snapped the tool's steel U-shaped part using my impact wrench. It's trash now. Glad I have my Motion Pro- even with one of the anvil's broken (I don't think I need that anyway- but I can order a new one).

After breaking the chain free - I removed the front sprocket and sprayed the area with Powersports Simple Green (it's not green in color) and let it drip into my oil catch pan. Tonight I'll take a rag to the area and clean it properly - there's chain gunk there and I've never been able to clean it properly until now, which is why it's on my task list.

After riveting the chain back on (hopefully tonight) I'll be done with the truly mechanical work on the bike and then it's just a little electrical wiring, bodywork and other aesthetic bits.

-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Rearsets, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Ohlins-Racetech&Showa custom Suspension
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100

Last edited by admin; 08-03-2017 at 09:30 AM.
post #6 of 157 Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Tonight I wanted to clean the sticky, icky from my front sprocket area. I allocated .5hrs to do the job and it took 1.25. Spent too much time on this task than I wanted, but I'm satisfied with the cleanup under the sprocket cover. The remaining splashes are water that will be left to air dry.

Another 20 or so minutes was spent using a sanding wheel on the sprocket cover plate to remove the bits of gasket, then I covered it with some spray hi-temp black paint I had lying around.

I'll get the swingarm and chain guide in the next cleaning evolution

This area was ultra ugly.

I wish I knew what type of chain wax the previous owner used, so I'll know not to use it.

I cleaned up the sprocket bolt and installed the front Driven (brand)520 sprocket. My previous appeared to be OEM #530 chain. A Driven is on the rear also, but I'm sticking with OEM ratios.

-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100

post #7 of 157 Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Considering that I'd forgotten to Loctite the rear brake rotor bolts, I did that tonight also. Again, cleanup will be in future tasks. A resupply of Brake Cleaner is also on the shopping list.

-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100

post #8 of 157 Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
As can be seen by my task list, I need to revise my time estimates because I've put in about 4x more time on each task than listed. I tend to take my time, disassemble and clean things...and sometimes I just need to get more information on how to do a task.

-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100

post #9 of 157 Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Jaybird180
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Unable to get any tasks done on Friday due to a funeral, I was wiped out after a long day of travel. After another long day of running errands with family, I didn't want to let Saturday pass without getting anything done, so regardless of the time, I got started at about 12:30a (Sunday morning). I set my sights on cleaning the inside of the swingarm (the area where the tire runs) and doing the rear brake pads. Shouldn't take too long by my reckoning. After that was done I felt good about finding a solution for my rear brake light switch. I have a pressure switch there and had not made the electrical connection because I felt the wiring was too short and I didn't want to do the job below my personal satisfaction.

One thing that I've learned working on my own bike: You develop a way of doing things and it may be functional and may please others, but you're the biggest critic of your own handiwork.

I found my (thought was lost) wire stripper and test fit things together and since it looked good, I decided to have a go. I had to remove the rearset to get adequate hand space but it worked out well, with some black heat shrink tubing covering everything. I didn't shrink it down because I thought, "what for? that area of the bike gets hot enough and it'll do the trick but if not, then it gives me a 2nd shot if testing proves faulty". I didn't want to actuate the rear brake with the wheel not yet installed considering that I have the new pads installed and a new rotor and I'll need all the clearance I can get. Did I say that I don't like installing rear wheels? Well, I don't, but it's a necessary evil.

I needed to remove the bolts for my rearsets that bolt to the frame to bust some rust - must have been a galvanic response but some black hi-temp paint after a little bit of elbow grease and that was done for 3 of the 4 bolts. The 4th wanted to be stubborn and broke off the ball end of my Allen wrench (SOB!). So I need to retrieve it and do the 4ht bolt and then call that task complete.

-13 CBR250R-A Hers SOLD
-92 CB750 (Hers)
-06 CRF230F (mine, sold)
-97 XR100
post #10 of 157 Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM
RCV

Nice and organized, I like it. Looking forward to seeing how things go.

2014 1000RR Race Bike: RCV's Race Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page