GB Racing Covers - THEE MOST important mod if U crash - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

GB Racing Covers - THEE MOST important mod if U crash

GB Racing covers are by far the SMARTEST and most COST-EFFECTIVE INVESTMENT you can make for your bike to prevent catastrophic damage. They CAN and DO make the difference between a crash resulting in a total loss, or...
mostly just embarrassment, injured body, minor damage to the bike... then once body heals, bike gets fixed, head is screwed on straight etc. ... GET BACK ON AND RIDE!

I had a recent high-side on my '09 Repsol. Sucked. Wasn't going too fast, maybe 30mph, but my rear tire hit a line of gravel left by previous heavy rains. I didn't see the gravel. I was swinging out to pass an agonizingly SLOW driver and was looking ahead to make sure I had ample room. I should have just mellowed. (THANK YOU, Capt. HINDSIGHT!!!)

But... I WAS able to pick my bike up and ride home nearly 100mi (in agonizing pain) because of GB Racing covers.
See this forum post for reference:
https://www.1000rr.net/forums/modifi...rs-2014-a.html

My previous CBR, a 929, hit the asphalt when I was rear ended by a texter, and that was all she wrote w/that beautiful bike. Hole in the engine case. An expensive repair, any way you look at it. A low speed crash, but it ended the 929.

I know a lot of you are big on frame sliders. My 929 had 'em. They're easy to install on a 929 cause there's a lot of exposed frame and it's got SILLY PERFECT OEM HOLES in the frame that serve perfectly for mounting them.

But not so easy on a '09 Repsol. You gotta make holes in that cherry Honda middle cowl, right thru the REPSOL graphics. And so I never put frame sliders on my Repsol.

But it was the GB Racing covers that saved the Repsol. They were installed by the first owner along with several other cool mods. The left side cover is really beat up. Worn down... needs replacing. My bike slammed HARD on the left side of the engine. Had it punched thru like the 929 I would have been stranded almost 100mi from home, prolly admitted against my will to hospital, and cited by law enforcement for passing in a NO-NO zone.

But I was able to RIDE my awesome Repsol home, and I will be repairing it to fully functional for about $120. None of this addresses the hassles I've had with injury and infection... but this is about the bike. And thank God, I'm better now.
And the bike (now with almost 50k miles) will survive to ride another day.

Without GB Racing covers the bike could have easily been totaled. I mean, repairs like fixing cracks in body plastic, I can do. Tearing down the engine and replacing a structural piece of the bottom end... forget it. I ain't paying my mechanic to do that right now. No way. The bike would have just sat for the rest of the fall and all winter. Who knows how long.

The set of three GB Racing covers for a current CBR1000RR sell for about $260. I understand that's a lot for a mod that doesn't increase performance one iota. But as a veteran of two wrecks within the last 7 years, where both bikes hit the tarmac hard, I can tell you with pleasure that I am SO GLAD this protection was in place on my Repsol.

Still think $260 is a lot for insurance that will certainly stack the odds in favor of your engine surviving a wreck?
$260 ? Well let's see...
  • Paid $8000 for the bike in 2011, w/9,500 mi from the 1st owner
  • I just came across a receipt from 2015 - upgraded rotors, BRAKING, and new pads. $812
  • I rebuilt the front calipers. Know how long that took and how much of a PIA it was?
  • I swapped in a Brembo MCyl, clutch lever and reservoir... $555
  • Spiegler Rennsport lines + shpg $160
  • Caliper spreader - $75 ... and fill and bleed and fill and bleed... bleh bleh already w/the brakes... UGH!! Pursuit of factory-hard feel to a brake lever is the BANE of my existence.
  • ThrottleMeister AHR2 kit, standard weight + shpg $170
  • Power Commander V and Ignition Retard Controller ... around $340 HOURS OF LABOR to put those bitches in, downloading maps, effin' around with DynoJet software
  • Honda e-Cushion seat $290
  • FIAMM freeway blaster horns and Eastern Beaver relay kit $82 (crazy difficult process, drill and tap passenger peg brackets to mount them, wiring, bad instructions, emails back and forth...)

... and ALL THIS STUFF doesn't go into the thousands of $$$ I've spent on routine maintenance on the Repsol in 9 years... chain, tires, oil and filters, Engine Ice, turn signal switch replacement, grips, K&N air filter cleaning... geez, you can read the list of mods in my sig. I'm prolly even forgetting a few.

Oh and BTW, did I mention the old '01 929 ALSO had Italian BRAKING rotors all around, a Brembo MCyl conversion, a Dynojet PCIII, custom seat, custom turn signals, taillight... a lot of work went into that bike. And a tiny hole in the engine destroyed all of it.

So if you think I'm a BELIEVER, that I'm drinking some kind of GB Racing Koolaide... you'd be right. Cause all those number$ above and the HUNDREDS of hours of labor involved... they're all preserved, they will all still be yielding concrete excitement, entertainment, and amazing economy and unsurpassed travel utility. With only the purchase of a footpeg and a side view mirror required to continue the fun. I didn't add up all the money I spent on this bike, just like I haven't tried to add the hours I spent on the mods. Cause it's not about what it costs.

It's about the reward... the return. Riding a motorcycle IS dangerous and when you play w/fire you WILL get burned. But the way I see it - it's a glass half full proposition at the worst.

And to the people at GB Racing - thanks for making a product that really DOES EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAY IT DOES.

2009 CBR Repsol, 2nd owner-
Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-22-2018, 12:43 AM
twill

You can buy no cut frame sliders. Just and FYI. But sounds like those are nice. I have some sort of case protectors on mine but donít know how well they will work. Nice to know the GB work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 14 Old 09-22-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

Really, no cut? They must be a relatively new thing cause when I searched for applications for my bike, maybe 4 years ago, I didn't find anything like that. Thanks for that.

Yoshi R-77 full SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail/GP shift mod/Throttlemeister/ProGrip 714/Spiegler Rennsport kit orange/Brembo RCS19/Braking rotors and pads/DID 530 ZVM-X chain/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod/Custom tank pad/FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Full syn 4T oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)

post #4 of 14 Old 09-22-2018, 05:21 PM
twill

thats what they look like.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-22-2018, 07:13 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

No cut sliders are fine for a slow speed tip over, but they don't ususally fair well in a proper crash. The brackets tend to bend or add too much leverage to the attachment points breaking the frame tabs. Be careful they they are well designed or they can do more harm than good.

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #6 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Runeknight95

OP is 100% spot on, these things protected me from needing crank or alternator covers during my spill when a cat ran into me and during my track spill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twill View Post
You can buy no cut frame sliders. Just and FYI. But sounds like those are nice. I have some sort of case protectors on mine but donít know how well they will work. Nice to know the GB work good.

They are awful, many pictures on this forum about how they bend and dont hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
Really, no cut? They must be a relatively new thing cause when I searched for applications for my bike, maybe 4 years ago, I didn't find anything like that. Thanks for that.
They are awful, many pictures on this forum about how they bend and dont hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan66 View Post
No cut sliders are fine for a slow speed tip over, but they don't ususally fair well in a proper crash. The brackets tend to bend or add too much leverage to the attachment points breaking the frame tabs. Be careful they they are well designed or they can do more harm than good.
This.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90412 <--My build
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1209877267
http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum/

2008 Honda CBR1000rr Candy Glory Red/Silver
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track only - extra36cc!
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 scooter tooter!
post #7 of 14 Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

Here she is, the Humpty Dumped! My "Busted Up Beast-ess", after a few days of "All the King's Horsemen and all the King's Men ..." effort !! GB racing covers slagged but not breached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181010_160130.jpg (1.20 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181010_160139_edit.jpg (570.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181010_160159_edit.jpg (675.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181010_161324.jpg (1,023.2 KB, 16 views)

post #8 of 14 Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore

want to add, the shift lever is MUCH higher than it was before. Now that I replaced the left footpeg, I have to really REACH UP to set the bike in 1st (note that I have a reverse, or "GP" shift configuration, which I also just noticed is NOT in my signature file of mods done) and I also have to REACH to get my foot on top of the lever to upshift (which for a GP shift config means stomping downward to advance gears and go faster)

But hey, I ALMOST ordered a new shift lever until I realized ... SPLINES! All I need to do is re-orient the top counter-lever to bring it all back into alignment. No way am I gonna spend 50-100 in parts and shipping if all I have to do is re-position that DAWG.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 PM
saiyan66
Stand your ground

Is it just me or do you have a major frame boo-boo just behind the vin sticker in the first pic?

2004 CBR1000RR (Yelena)- modded track/street bike, 398lb RTR!
2002 RC51 (Christina)- rode hard and put away wet, sold
2006 CBR600RR (Nikki) - how the addiction started, sold
post #10 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore

Yes, major DENT in the frame. That's awful, I agree. Poor baby really hit hard.

And the bike went down violently as well. Ha.

So here's side by side pics of before and after crash, shift lever and linkage, and DAMN, you don't need to be an investigator for the NTSB to notice everything is completely re-positioned, higher. Kind of good news, because it means no waiting for new parts, no money spent, just loosen the pinch bolt on the gearshift arm and rotate counter-clockwise one or two notches. That should do it, I HOPE, assuming the parts aren't stripped.

GP shift (reverse shift) mods posted here:
https://www.1000rr.net/forums/showth...11#post4268111

and here:
https://www.1000rr.net/forums/showth...15#post4268115
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shift_misaligned2.jpg (536.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Hardcore; 10-13-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: URL's for GP mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page