Quick question about front sprockets - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 16 Old 09-26-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
rule62

Quick question about front sprockets

I'm going to do a simple 15t swap. I've always used AFAM/Superlite sprockets on my other bikes. Had a bad experience once with an aluminum Vortex rear sprocket on one of my Ducs. Just wondering if Vortex steel front sprockets are any good on our bikes. They're cheap. I just want to throw a 530 15t on there until my stock chain is ready to be replaced, then go with a 525 AFAM/Superlite setup. I just don't want the front sprocket to be as out-of-center as the rear sprocket I had years ago. I'm thinking that because it's steel instead of aluminum, and it's much smaller than than the rear sprocket I had on the other bike, that there's less chance for crumby machining.

So... anyone here have any experience (good or bad) with Vortex front sprockets? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-26-2019, 09:52 AM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

I use a lot of Vortex products both personally and professionally, but I will not use their Aluminum Sprockets for any reason ever. They are just shit. I even mention them specifically in my article http://www.rogueracing.org/gearing.htm

That being said I seriously doubt you will have any issue with ANY brand of front sprocket in this day & age. The technology the manufacturing industry has makes it pretty difficult to screw anything like that up nowadays.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
rule62

Thanks. I had a little "zilla-cash" burning a hole in my digital pocket. Went ahead and got a new OEM drive sprocket bolt and washer to go along.

Glad (to some extent) that I'm not alone with my wariness of their aluminum products.

Last edited by rule62; 09-27-2019 at 12:23 AM.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
rule62

That was easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_103914096_1570341745995.jpg (940.2 KB, 8 views)
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 PM
outsider819

Location: Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I use a lot of Vortex products both personally and professionally, but I will not use their Aluminum Sprockets for any reason ever. They are just shit. I even mention them specifically in my article http://www.rogueracing.org/gearing.htm

That being said I seriously doubt you will have any issue with ANY brand of front sprocket in this day & age. The technology the manufacturing industry has makes it pretty difficult to screw anything like that up nowadays.

Here's a silly off-topic-but-still-sprocket related question for you, how does going up and down sizes on the front and rear sprockets affect the rear suspension on these things? (Like I'm good enough to even notice, LOL...)
post #6 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 01:52 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider819 View Post
Here's a silly off-topic-but-still-sprocket related question for you, how does going up and down sizes on the front and rear sprockets affect the rear suspension on these things? (Like I'm good enough to even notice, LOL...)

For anything less than Pro racing where a podium finish is not just desirable, but mandatory most riders will never realize the changes to the geometry in regards to the angle of pull on the swingarm due to the change in sprocket sizes. To street riders and canyon carvers the change is negligible at best.

That being said it does affect the handling in regards to the geometry. Factory MotoGP bikes rarely if ever change the sprocket sizes as they do not want to disturb the perfect balance of the bike's wheelbase vs gyroscopic precession etc. When gearing must be altered they do it with the internal transmission gears so that all final drive variables remain unchanged.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
rule62

Some other quick questions (of no particular importance). As I was getting to the front sprocket, I had to remove a plastic cover that goes over the stator, to get the front sprocket cover off. I've noticed that some bikes don't have this extra cover, and it would definitely have to get pitched in order to install a case saver (Woodcraft and the like). So... do they all come with this cover? If so, do you all just ditch it? Or, do you wait until the cover gets used as a slider once, and then replace it with a proper case saver?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

If you are going to install case savers then now is the time. Waiting until you go down before doing it is like wearing a condom after you get some slag pregnant...
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
rule62

Understood...
Just wondering about this "extra" engine cover. Service manual didn't have it pictured. Does it serve a purpose or is it just farkles?
post #10 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 PM
LDH
Lifetime Premium

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page