Bought a 16 CBR 1000RR SP that was dropped... - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 23 Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
ArabianOak

Bought a 16 CBR 1000RR SP

Hi Gang,

My question to all of you is should I even attempt all of this myself or should I have a shop do it? What am I looking for in the nose to see if everything is lining up correctly? Where is the best place to get parts? How should I go about making this Honda pretty enough to show Marc Marques if he stopped by? Ha.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Here is a video (can't post pics yet)...and yes I realize I revved the bike without it being fully warm, but it is a honda...they dont break! lol.

2013 McLaren MP4-12C Fabspeed Exhaust/Tune
2016 Honda CBR 1000RR SP
2020 BMW R1250RS Exclusive

Last edited by ArabianOak; 09-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 PM
LA2SD

If you can turn a wrench, you should be fine doing the work yourself. Maybe check out some YouTube vids if you need a confidence booster. And be sure to pick up a shop manual.

The upper fairing stay could be bent, or might need to be re-adjusted, which could effect the upper and mids lining up properly.

I get my parts through Honda East Toledo. Some guys go through Partszilla.

I wouldn't pay a shop to fix anything cosmetic, but that's me. It's simple enough to do yourself.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
ArabianOak

Thanks! How do I know which fairings to order for my color scheme?

2016 Honda CBR 1000RR SP

post #4 of 23 Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 PM
LA2SD

Honda fairings have two letters at the end of the part number, which denotes the color.

For example, 64211-MFL-010ZB is the upper cowl in Candy Glory Red (R101CU). ZB is the color of the part.

I'm not sure what the code is for a 2016 Repsol SP. IIRC, SP suspension and fairing parts are not listed online. I believe you need to contact a dealer or parts supplier for the part numbers.

Or do an interwebz search. Maybe it'll pop up.

Last edited by LA2SD; 09-15-2019 at 11:11 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 PM
CaptainCannon
Lifetime Premium

Garage
There should be a sticker in the trunk with the color, it could be YR-250 or something close. I second Honda East and dont be afraid to call them to double check on any parts or colors.

2015 CBR1000RR YR-250
1999 ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson
1984 Goldwing Aspencade (WIP bought after a light deer smashing)
1983 LTD550 (WIP cafe project for friends to ride)
post #6 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
ArabianOak

Thanks! Does anyone know of a video or online instructions to remove the the upper nose fairing so I can check the fairing stays? Which screws need to be removed to pull it off?

2016 Honda CBR 1000RR SP
post #7 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM
HMAN
Blue Devil

Garage
men for 11,500 I would have sold you my 14 SP with 1,500 miles and TC, QS, Auto-Tune, full Akro and not a single scratch. Anyway, if all you going to do is replacing panels just be care full with the side panels the mount are real delicate and they can break really easy, especially the side panels.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Liquid_IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianOak View Post
Thanks! Does anyone know of a video or online instructions to remove the the upper nose fairing so I can check the fairing stays? Which screws need to be removed to pull it off?
Getting the upper fairing off is a serious PITA. You will need to remove the lower and mid fairings, along with the air intake, mirrors, and a bunch of smaller pieces to get it off.

Below is a YouTube video for the install of an LED turn signal relay, should get you most of the way through it. Note there are some small tabs on the middle left and right of the upper that clip to the top of the headlight (7:00 minute mark in the video), they are hollow you WILL break those during removal or installation - if they aren't already broken already. I fill mine with 2-part epoxy so this won't happen (or to repair broken ones).

Other comments:

Those levers are cheap Chinese eBay ones, ~$20. Get some decent levers.

Get some GB Racing case covers and don't worry about replacing the scratched covers - they will cover them completely and prevent future damage.

I am slightly concerned about the new rear tire at 700 miles.

Final thoughts:

You got a great bike. The SP edition's main benefit is the Ohlins suspension. Set that up correctly and you'll be in heaven. The Brembo calipers are supposedly on par with stock Tokico ones so that's just bling. The other difference is the rods and pistons are hand-picked to be very close in weight, but Honda's are so smooth I can't imagine it would be a significant difference.

The cosmetic stuff is - well, cosmetic. Someone good with paint could repair that paint damage for far less than new fairings. The crack is another story.

Last edited by Liquid_IQ; 09-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
ArabianOak

Thanks gang! I was able to remove the side middle fairings and nose fairing today...that nose is a bitch! haha. Couldn't really find anything bent or tweaked but my fairings are not lining up properly at all...the right side is close, which makes no sense as that was the side that was dropped but the left side fairing has several broken plastic tabs as well...so it looks like I will be ordering both fairings.

It seems like my intake duct on the right side is off and is pushing everything toward the front of the bike. Are those easy to take off without removing the nose again? Also, upon further inspection my intake ducts rubber boots that connect under the gas tank came off, I dont think i got them back on very well...is that something that can only be done by removing the gas tank?

2016 Honda CBR 1000RR SP
post #10 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
ArabianOak

2016 Honda CBR 1000RR SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page