Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

why do you call it fireblade?

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  A Squids Life 
#1 ·
I bought a new 2017 cbr1000rr in California last year. My owners manual says Hurricane on the front cover. So why does everyone call it a fireblade? Should I write to Honda and tell them about this misprint?

#3 ·
And if we go back far enough, the original Hurricane was an F model, a sport touring bike. No idea why American Honda tried using it again (and only on the cover of the owners manual, literally nowhere else), when the rest of the planet is quite happily using Fireblade. It clearly hasn't stuck and isn't going to.

#4 ·
Back in the 1980s Hurricane/Aero days the series of bikes where not as razor edged as the other manufacturers bikes - but even so the 600F was able to be the dominant raced 600 that everyone was trying to beat.

CBR400R Aero

US markert CBR600F Hurricane

CBR750 Super Aero Hurricane

CBR1000F Hurricane

#5 ·
Back in the 1980s Hurricane/Aero days the series of bikes where not as razor edged as the other manufacturers bikes - but even so the 600F was able to be the dominant raced 600 that everyone was trying to beat.

I've never seen the 750 and never even heard of the 400! Remember the 600, that was a hell of a bike, my father in law's had one for years. The 1000 wasn't a bad bike for what it was, but it was heavy. To me, the family lines go something like CBR1000F->CBR1100XX->VFR1200 and ours obviously start with the original CBR900RR Fireblade and work up from there.

#6 ·
I have a few more questions.
Is this a grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side thing? Do americans want to call it fireblade because that's what its called in Europe?
Are there any INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS on this forum? If so do you guys call it a hurricane?

Example; chicks in America rave about European clothing (and purse/handbag) In Europe people love American clothes, my aunt use to fill second suitcase with levis, fly to almost any country in Europe, and sell them to pay for the whole trip.

Back to the point....I have matte black 2017, I am thinking about laying down a solid black base, then 3 or 4 coats of clear with a "pinch" of micro (.004") rainbow flake for subtle metallic effect. Then I am thinking about cutting stencils on vinyl cutter for all the factory red graphics. I am thinking I lay a dark silver, then 5 to 7 coats of candy red. So basically it will be factory scheme, but shinny black and dark red. I am thinking about adding fireblade or hurricane to middle cowl. I don't want some Japanese engineer to see it and call me an idiot because the usa ecu is flashed with the hurricane file, not the fireblade file. Or something like that.

Are there any Japanese engineers on this forum??

#7 ·
I wish they called it the fireblade. Whenever someone sees my helmet and asks what I'm riding, I dread having to blather out seebeeare wunthousand are are. It's ridiculous. So I end up gauging how much the person asking probably knows about motorcycles and I either go with 'crotch rocket' or I start with CBR and follow up with as many numbers and letters as it takes to get that look of understanding. That's one of the things I miss about riding yamahas - R. 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.