Slow take off on 2017 cbr1000rr - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 16 Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Euphorik_dreams

Slow take off on 2017 cbr1000rr

Hey yall I bought a 2017 cbr1000rr used this year. It said 0 miles I doubt it though I'll post info about that down below.

I'm having trouble with my launch. It seems as though 0-25mph takes around 3-4 (im going to use a go pro today to find out the actual times) seconds then after I hit around 5-6k it starts to actually launch since I'm getting into the power band. I've messed with a few thing to no avail. I'm debating on taking it in and getting it dynoed maybe they can figure it out but I thought I'd post here first.

So I bought this bike off rumbleon seemed like everything was in order. 0 miles decently priced. When I received the bike the exhaust was a yoshi slip on, the wind screen was a double bubble, rear pegs were gone, and the rear fender was chopped like whoever had it tried to do their own fence eliminator. Talking to one of the guys at rumble on he said the original pictures the guy sent had the stock pipe and when it came in the yoshi was on it. When I received it though everything seemed like it was brand new except what I stated. Chain was waxed though not sure if that's how new cbrs come. Sprockets new, no noticeable wear on manifold, oil was clean (still changed it though) tires still had the factory lines on them. So I have no idea what to do, I've had the bike for a minute and put about 5k on it now. I'm just now questioning the take off since this is my first super sport. To me it seemed fast all around compared to what I used to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 01:02 AM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

Where are you located?

What TC mode are you in?

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread
post #3 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Euphorik_dreams

I'm located in Michigan, I ride without traction control on quite a bit. I usually ride in mode 1 though unless it's raining out.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Liquid_IQ

The SP's don't have rear passenger pegs, why don't you post up some pics?

I guess if someone wanted to pass off a used bike as a new one it would be easy enough. Clean it up, new tires, set the ODO to zero miles. What tires did it have on it? I don't know how many of the 2017's came with zero miles on them, usually a shakedown test ride by the dealer was mandated. New chains usually come with a thick white pasty grease on them, the whole chain looks white.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Euphorik_dreams

It's not an sp model, it's a abs model though 25th anniversary edition, it didn't have exactly 0 miles on it, it was stated as that on rumble on and came with 56 miles. It had a thick coating on the chain like you said though it's easy to pose a vehicle as 0 miles. Although there's a chance that it came from a dealer, Idk why it would of had parts swapped though only theory I had was they were losing money on it and tried to recoup some money since the rear pegs are pricey and the stock pipe is more expensive Idk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190717_085225_1563375283651.jpg (1.12 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190717_085253_1563375311129.jpg (1.06 MB, 11 views)
post #6 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 12:10 PM
icedmind

try this, P mode 1, TC mode 1, set rev with throttle around 6k when launch, be gentle when letting clutch out to biting point as you dont want the rev to drop too much which could stall the bike or wheelie and also you want it to have enough bite without letting traction kick in (it normally does after close to 10k ish rev).

US spec CBR1000rr have reported having restrictor glued in both air tube, so there is one thing you can remove first.
also the velocity stack are different to EU spec.

also are you using 97+ octane gas? and have you try disconnect battery to reset ecu since you got the bike?

2017 CBR1000RR SC77
post #7 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 12:54 PM
RC45
Lifetime Premium

0 to 25 mph takes 3 to 4 seconds?

As stated above try Power Mode 1. If the bike is totally a totally stock unflashed ECU 2017 ABS model you have about 150rwhp on tap right out of the box so the bike should not be a dog by any means - even though the ECU has restrictions baked in, they are all to limit noise above 9,500rpm

I almost sounds like you are launching in 2nd or 3rd gear.

The Good RS250R NF5 The Bad TZ250 2KM The Ugly LS7 C5Z07 Gone but not forgotten RC45 Delivered US SP2 #65

SP2 Delivery Thread < - Delivery Thread

RC45's SP2 Trackday Bike Build Thread <- Build Thread

RC45's US vs UK ETV Tables Dyno <- Dyno Page

PAIR Mod HRC Style <- HRC PAIR Page

Myths & Mysteries of the SP2 ECU Thread <- ECU Thread
post #8 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Euphorik_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedmind View Post
try this, P mode 1, TC mode 1, set rev with throttle around 6k when launch, be gentle when letting clutch out to biting point as you dont want the rev to drop too much which could stall the bike or wheelie and also you want it to have enough bite without letting traction kick in (it normally does after close to 10k ish rev).

US spec CBR1000rr have reported having restrictor glued in both air tube, so there is one thing you can remove first.
also the velocity stack are different to EU spec.

also are you using 97+ octane gas? and have you try disconnect battery to reset ecu since you got the bike?
I'll have to try the launch when I get back into my area. Right now I'm looking at a 20-30% loss of torque due to the altitude I'm in from what I've read.

Do you know where any information to remove the air restrictors are?

The highest octane I can get in my home town is around 93. The closest station that sells "race fuel" 100+ octane is 30 minutes away.

I'm planning on doing the ecu reset when I get home just to be sure. I wanted to do it here but my tools are back at my buddy's in Denver. We didn't have any room in the packs.

I didn't know there was such a massive difference in rwhp from the spec sheet. Unless the I think it was 189 on the spec sheet is hp at the crank.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Euphorik_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
0 to 25 mph takes 3 to 4 seconds?

As stated above try Power Mode 1. If the bike is totally a totally stock unflashed ECU 2017 ABS model you have about 150rwhp on tap right out of the box so the bike should not be a dog by any means - even though the ECU has restrictions baked in, they are all to limit noise above 9,500rpm

I almost sounds like you are launching in 2nd or 3rd gear.
It definitely does feel like I'm starting off in second gear. I was reading about people using the Woolwich tuning tools so I was thinking but maybe picking up that and tuning the system myself. Using those tools though are you able to remove the restrictions your talking about?

Or I was also looking into maybe bringing it to a dyno.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Liquid_IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorik_dreams View Post
Right now I'm looking at a 20-30% loss of torque due to the altitude I'm in from what I've read.
Are you in Colorado? I'm West of Golden in the foothills at about 7500 feet. That's about 22% less air than sea level. 30% would be 10,000 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page