Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Did you get a bike with or without ABS? Worth it?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  squidbilly1000rr 
#1 ·
I had a minor crash on my last bike a little over a decade ago when I gave it too much front brake and it locked up, when I let go of the brake the bike fell sideways soon as it the front wheel started rolling again. So this time I paid the few hundred extra bucks extra and got the ABS version. I do all street riding (no track) and worry about cars pulling out in front of me. Was getting the ABS a smart choice?

#7 ·
And on track the ABS controlled rear wheel lift mitigation system is a disaster looking to sabotage very hard and fast riders.

In the hardest charging and most demanding braking situations if the bike detects the rear wheel getting light and lifting, it uses the ABS system to reduce front brake pressure to settle the rear tire down again - this has caused fast riders to overshoot their brake point ate the most critical point and has sent a number of riders into the runoff.

ABS is perfect for the street and can get in the way of the fastest riders.

#12 ·
I found ABS very useful in the street in unexpected situations, and very fun in the rain. Breaking on the wet I was locking the wheel on purpose all the time and playing with the ABS. It's another tool/toy on the bike. I think is fun.

At the track, as an intermediate rider, I found it fun too. It would engage once in a while and tell me when I screwed up. But, I'm not after big lap times or racing. At the track, I'm having fun, being safe, and learning to rider better.

But, the ABS has to have the disable option. That way, the only ones that can complain are those who are after every single piece of weight reduction.

#14 ·
I really dont like the feel of the abs brakes. I would like to remove the system if any of you guys have a write up on how to do that, that would be awesome. I was also wondering if you know if a 2012 to 2016 rim would fit the 2017 cbr? They look the same and the speed pulsar ring seems to mount up to the rotor not the rim. I would really like to purchase an extra set of rims for this bike to have slicks ready to go for track days. Please let me know if you guys know about these things.

#15 ·
Just pull the ABS fuse.
The 2016 and earlier wheel speed sensor rings are the incorrect spacing count for use on the 2017+ bikes.
The wheels are different. The rear wheels specifically uses a larger diameter axle as well so you would need to address the bearing changes if you did try mount them up.
Just get an extra set of used 2017 wheels off eBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.