Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people! I'm new to this site. I am from Spain and I have an SC57 from 2005 with 80.000 km on the clock. I bought it new in 2018 with 40K kms and spent a lot of great times together.
I would like to know if the cylinder heads are swappable from 04 model to 06 06 model.
A few months back I did some valve clearance job myself and found that the cam lobes had some kind of spits. It was like small pitting on the top of the lobe profile. Anyway, it was a bit tight and it's OK however I would like to upgrade to 2006 engine. But they are imposible to find. And the ones that are listed are so expensive it is worthier buying the whole bike rather than just the engine alone.
So I have been searching on ebay and saw some 2006 cylinder heads just under 200£ and thought it would be a great deal if they were swapable and made some improvement over the 04 head.

Has anyone succesfully swapped the heads between 04 and 06 model? I know the 04 has a thinner HG (0,4 vs 0,7 on the newer). Also I remember I read somewhere in this forums that the 04/05 heads were taller than the 06/07 models but I am not sure. I am lloking for someone who has already done the job or knows someone that did it succesfully.

Here is a pic of min!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Believe heads are the same height with the difference in head gasket thickness being 04-05 cases having an extra .2mm or so on top of the cylinders that the 06-07 cylinders don't. I've run 04-05 and 06-07 motors and currently running an 04-05 head on 06-07 cases with the thinner 04-05 head gasket, no issues. Cam position sensors are different as well but are interchangeable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx man!

Been reading the service manual and it says that main head bolts must be tightened to 51 Nm. However later on it says they must be tightened to 47 Nm. Anyone knows what is the torque specs for the main head bolts?

Another question. It seems that replacing the main bolts is no required in this case. It seems you just torque the bolts to the specified torque and done. Other engines require you to make it in 2 or maybe 3 steps like first at 30 Nm, then at 60 Nm and then 90 degree or so. In this case you just apply molibdenum oil to the threads and base and torque it in criss cross pattern and done. Seems like if they were not torque to yield bolts isnt it?
That would be great cause I would just have to get a new gasket and done.

Do you guys recomend Cometic gasket or maybe I should go with the OEM gasket?

Thank you people!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible to shave 0.2 mm from the block and use the 0.4 mm HG? Would the squish gap be too tight?

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Never noticed the difference between specs before but can't imagine you'd be wrong with either. Maybe initial torque to 47 and final at 51? As far as head bolts go, don't think they're that expensive, maybe default conservative and just replace to be safe. I'd say absolutely stick with OEM or HRC head gaskets, nothing against Cometic. I've got notes from Diel "on the 04-05 motors we mill .2mm off the cylinders, then set piston to head at .7mm" and I've been running 06-07 HRC cases with the 04-05 OEM .4mm head gasket with no issues, so I think you'd be safe to take .2mm off the block and run the .4mm head gasket, just check piston to valve clearance. Worst comes to worse, you can go back to the 06-07 .7mm OEM gasket if PTV is too tight or dial it in somewhere in between with an HRC gasket, it'll just cost you a bit more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically the limiting point is piston-to-valve clearance instead of squish gap. I thought that the squish was the limiting factor. What should be the ideal squish gap?
¿How do you measure PTV clearance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant by the torque figures is this:

You see? It firstly says you must torque to 51 Nm but then later on within the procedure description is stated that it must be torqued to 47 Nm. That seems a contradiction.

·
BOTM Moderator
477 Posts
It seems you just torque the bolts to the specified torque and done. Other engines require you to make it in 2 or maybe 3 steps like first at 30 Nm, then at 60 Nm and then 90 degree or so. In this case you just apply molibdenum oil to the threads and base and torque it in criss cross pattern and done.
I don't know about torque value but, the picture you posted says: tighten the 9mm bolts in a crisscross pattern in 2 or 3 steps.

So, it doesn't say to do 30, 50, etc, but does say 2-3 steps.

In case a discrepancy like this, usually go with the lower torque rather than the higher.

I wonder what other people suggest?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was under the impression there was something more to the 06/07 heads because they rev a thousand RPM higher.
Is there not a spring difference at least?

·
Registered
182 Posts
quoting diel:
port design is a bit better, double intake springs, valves a bit different, cams are lighter, cam trigger hole is bigger, cam trigger sensor plug is different, cylinders deck is .2mm shorter, head gasket is a .6mm (04/05 is a .4mm), of course intake cam is different spec, clutch basket is different, shift drum is 4-5mm longer, main transmission retainer is different. If you change the harness and ecu make sure you use 06/07 top injectors as they are different and we have seen a change in power. The 06/07 ecu is designed to use the new injectors.

original post: Difference between 04/05 & 06/07 Motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts