Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be replacing the head gasket on my 05’ this coming up weekend and have got a few questions about the removal and installation process. Any help would be appreciated.
1. What size is the torx bit for the cylinder head?I bought a t50 bit and it’s starting to strip and a t55 would be too large but I’m not seeing any in between sizes.
2. Is there a certain gasket sealer I should use for the head or is it a dry fitment? and if so should I apply it to the decking of the case or on the cylinder head itself.
3. What are the torque specs?
thanks

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
83 Posts
1. What size is the torx bit for the cylinder head?
The only torx anywhere near the head is the cam chain guide screws unless you have aftermarket cylinder studs with torx nuts. What fasteners are you talking about?

EDIT: DO NOT REMOVE COOLANT CAPS IN THE HEAD! That might be what you are talking about.

2. Is there a certain gasket sealer I should use for the head or is it a dry fitment? and if so should I apply it to the decking of the case or on the cylinder head itself.
No gasket sealer is required if you are using an oem style gasket.

I don't have all of the specs handy but the factory head bolt torque should be 38 ft-lbs if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only torx anywhere near the head is the cam chain guide screws unless you have aftermarket cylinder studs with torx nuts. What fasteners are you talking about?

EDIT: DO NOT REMOVE COOLANT CAPS IN THE HEAD! That might be what you are talking about.

I don't have all of the specs handy but the factory head bolt torque should be 38 ft-lbs if I remember correctly.
t
Thank you so much for the reply and info. These are the caps I was talking about on my other parts motor. which probably are the coolant caps. If these are what you’re talking about I’ll make sure to not remove them.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yep those need to stay sealed. you'll have to remove the cams to get to the cylinder head bolts.
Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts