Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CBR1000RR and numerous RC51's
19 Posts
I finally got to experience removing the stock headers and they are way heavier than I would have guessed. I have no doubt any aftermarket full system headers drops some pounds there.

I went after weight savings last off-season and maybe now that I am rebuilding the engine this off-season I ought to keep an eye out for a good used full system to compliment the 2mm overbore job I am undertaking. if nothing else, the bike will weight less, LOL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m guessing this is Tom from the fb groups. For a full system, check out yahoo Japan auction site. I got the full akra system for just under $600 and even with shipping which was $120, it’s quite the bargain. Dealing with them was easy and care free. Keep us posted on your engine rebuild. If I ever do a rebuild in this, it would stay stock bore due to the class rules.
Yep, it is I. That is a bargain for that quality of exhaust. I love Akra on these ere of bikes. So bummed I destroyed my Erion racing muffler year and years ago, but it was still just a slip-on.

I will keep any eye out and go looking there.

I wish I could rebuild with stock bore but I don't have confidence that my bores could be restored without adding major costs. Welding in new material adds up quickly when there's 4 cylinders to do. Used engines are north of $2,000 and therefor my budget is equivalent to an engine swap but with the goal of having better than that when completed.

PowerSealUSA took a look at my photos and with their struggle to find an overbore kit, recommended the OEM 0.25mm larger pistons. But even if the ever so slightly larger Honda pistons were to restore the cylinders and rebore/plate/hone, I still have an engine with the same design of piston that brought on the damage in the first place. I want the OEM pistons gone and since they cost the same as the JE 2mm kit, I have opted to start fresh with the 2mm overbore build with their increased compression that is on par with today's new Superbikes. I run 93 octane anyways so why not finally use a compression ratio designed to take advantage of it, was my rationale. Just hope all goes to plan or it will become a good parts donor some day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you decide on the JE 2mm overbore pistons or Wossner? I got a set of Wiseco HC pistons for my RC51 and they are beautiful. They’ll be sent out to Calico for the skirt and crown coatings.

Seeing your 04 track bike gave me the inspiration to build a 04-05 1000rr. I always loved watching Duhamel on the Joe Rocket bikes.
I have weighed all the options and opted to adhere to my first rule of life and machinery… Build back better whenever possible!

OEM failed me so the JE 2mm over pistons are in the mail 🤘Wanted Wossner but they no longer offer 2mm over kit 😞

I am recently reading about coating the pistons. I should look into that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts