Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
THE MAD MODDER
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so with this question being asked about 100 times and the fact that I'm doin it I figured I would try to put up a decent write up for those wondering how much you really have to do. this is goin to have to be a multi post deal cuz I'm still figuring out some stuff but this is what I've got so far.

the diferences between the 05 and 06 bodywork are all in the upper, mids, and lowers. the tail and tank are exactly the same pretty much.

the major things I've done so far is more the ECU, take off the overflow, and modify the ecu/radiator bracket on the right side.

to relocate the ECU, the general consensus is to put it on top of the intake where there is a decent amount of room. basically unhook the ECU from the harness and set aside. At this point you can also drain and remove the radiator overflow because its not goin to fit with your 06 plastics. you also have to modify the ECU bracket like this otherwise the plastics won't fit.

another way to get around this is to get the 06 radiator, fan and bracket if you really want to, this also aleviates the trimming of your plastics later but its up to you.

anyways back to the ECU. your goin to have to pull the harness out from betwee the radiator and the frame and break it from two fasteners that hold it to the frame. at this point your goin to want to start taking apart your airbox to get to where your goin to put the ECU. remove tank cover, take out the two side alen screws to the tank and support it with a long screwdriver or whatever else you have handy, remove
the 5 small bolts, 2 screws from the injector assembly and disconect plug from top of airbox and simply leave it there loose so you can move it when you need to , take off all the rubber padding from around the airbox and start taking it apart. you are goin to have to use a phillips head screwdriver to remove all the small black screws holding it together. start with the top cover, then loosen the velocity stack screws and leave them in place in the airbox, remove 2nd part of airbox and you should be able to see where you are goin to put the ECU. route ecu wires

IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THE PAIR AND FLAPPER MOD THIS IS A PERFECT TIME TO TAKE ALL THAT OUT!! you can also do the poor man intake as well. mine was already gone so I didn't have to do it.

you are goin to have to unplug all the plugs that are there now and replug them in when you have everything routed correctly. with ecu in and everything plugged back in reassemble airbox the same way you took it apart. it looks like you have to entend the wires to the fan if you plan on using it still. I'll post up on that when I do it later this week.

my next step is to figure out my overflow situation. I was goin to do the same thing metal, carbon, joeroke, etc has done with the HRC overflow. but for some reason nobody can seem to get them. :th_down: my thought was also to go to a mountain bike store and get a small waterbottle with bracket and modify it to go behind the guage. now this is how everyone has done it with track plastics or with the one headlight mod. I'm not really sure how you would do it if you wanted to use both headlights. input is welcome.

I will post up more as I get farther into this project. any input by those who have done this before is welcome just figured i would try to help out.

·
THE MAD MODDER
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I've talked with a few of the others about what they did with their radiator etc. and I'm goin with the 06 raditoar, brackets, and fan. just to elminate alot of the cutting of plastics that woulda been involved with trying to make the 05 fan work which is bigger.

·
ArtificialCrisisDisruptor
8,680 Posts
I was goin to do the same thing metal, carbon, joeroke, etc has done with the HRC overflow. but for some reason nobody can seem to get them. :th_down: my thought was also to go to a mountain bike store and get a small waterbottle with bracket and modify it to go behind the guage.
Here's an HRC one from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/HRC-OVERFLOW-BO...0084377QQihZ019QQcategoryZ35230QQcmdZViewItem
and a TKR one
http://cms.tenkateracingproducts.co...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am almost done putting on the 07 plastic on a 04.Everything is cool so far.The mids are the ones I need to figure out.The lowers and the nose bolt right up. I ordered the 07 brackets for 40 bucks. Once I get those in I'll update this.I cant see putting a hrc modified water bottle on for an overflow.They look like crap.Now a modded aluminum one I can do. Maybe I'll mock one up for the conversion guys.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am almost done putting on the 07 plastic on a 04.Everything is cool so far.The mids are the ones I need to figure out.The lowers and the nose bolt right up. I ordered the 07 brackets for 40 bucks. Once I get those in I'll update this.I cant see putting a hrc modified water bottle on for an overflow.They look like crap.Now a modded aluminum one I can do. Maybe I'll mock one up for the conversion guys.
Cool, keep me posted on this, I want new fairings and I like the 07 look better.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts