Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, yes I've searched, and this particular question hasn't been asked that I'm aware of. I actually have 2 questions...

1.) has anyone had any experience with the Daniel Crower reground cams for these bikes? I emailed them asking about what compression the cams were designed to work with... The reply I got was almost insulting! I'll just paste it here for you all to digest...

" These are all over power gains , not just top end , these cams are the biggest a stock valve spring can handle so our best drop in set up. We have seen 191 hp with these cams with stock pistons and skinny gasket on head. The bikes are hitting over 205 mph.
I have a set ready to go here. 400$ exchange .. I need your cams first if were exchanging . Or just buy my cams outright for 759$.

Daniel Crower cam specs
HONDA CBR 1K S2 cam set .398"/.365" lift, 249°/240° duration, .007" clearance 2006-0 "

...that alone will make me not buy from a vendor! I'm not new to bikes or engines, so that email is very insulting... Eventhough the price seems decent. Anyone used these? What's the real world gains? I assume those cam specs are NOT valve events! And anybody's guess as to what lift they are taken at! I tried calling just now to get some clarification, but I never got Dan on the phone.

Ok, question 2... I've read that 06-07 have the HRC intake cam from the 04-05 era as stock? If this is accurate, wouldn't it be logical to source an HRC matching exhaust cam (or have one ground), and increase the compression to 13.5-14.5:1 and make some good HP? Obviously with the supporting mods. So is the intake on 06-07 cbr1000's an HRC basic racer, endurance, jsb, or wsbk cam of 04-05 era? Or did I miss something?

My goal is to build a 180-200whp street bike... I'm still undecided on the compression I'm going to run, so I'm researching cams to see what options I have... If I run 13.5 compression, I can get away with pump gas, I will run E85 if I decide to run 14.5:1. The only thing that has me hesitant to run 14.5 compression and E85 is the limited availability around here... I tuned my previous turbo Gixxer 1000 to run on E85 with 60lb injectors back in March.... It wasn't fun having to map out my route to make sure I wasn't stuck in a place with no E85 and low fuel.

So does anyone have any performance figures on stock 06-07 cams with raised compression? I seen one posting a shop in the UK gained 25hp with head porting and 13.5 compression pistons, and playing with the cam degree numbers... I intend to stick with 104/105 or 104/106.

Yes, I have the HRC race manual also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just had my '06 tuned with kent regrind cams and it put down 178 hp with mild porting and stock pistons.

Attachments

Reactions: kev.b and Sskvara1

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.... I'm doing a similar setup with milling the head and cams.

The response was insulting because it didn't answer my question I asked him, I specifically asked about compression that cams want and what they were tailored to do... Telling me they make 190hp with thin headgaskets and bikes have been 200+ mph doesn't really help me or answer my question.

And a drop-in cam making 190hp with head porting and a thin headgasket is pretty optimistic! Unless their dyno reads about 170hp for a stock cbr1k

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have my bike(cbr 1000rr 04-05) on my tuner for head milled,cleaned up ports and cams degreed.. i told him for 104/105. i think i will take about 10hp! we will see

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dano's Performance ... I intend on installing a set of cams ... That's my main reason for pulling the head, I'm just trying to find a set of cams with decent gains that will still have enough ptv clearance for me to mill the head and bump compression up in the 13's. Thanks, I will check out your site.

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dano's Performance ... Nice package, but I see you only offer cams for 08+... My bike is an 06... No love for the 04-07's? Lol

·
Deus Valt
12,890 Posts
web cams - call Brad @ Superbikesupply for good deal .
.376/.350
272°/266°
248°/240°
1002/194
Regrind

59-110

$485.00

Performance profile designed to increase mid and upper end. Requires Exhaust System, and High Compression Piston. Price Per Set (2).
Hardweld

N/A

·
Registered
122 Posts
i measure my compression and i have 11.8 on my cbr (2005), i cut my head about 0.4mm and i put the oem gasket! and 104/105 cams degreed! i will measure the compression now about these days!

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I've been collecting parts for my build... I'm going to start with a head and cam package, then do 14.5:1 pistons around mid-summer.

So... I bought a good 06 head (complete, ready to bolt on if I wanted to) that I'm going to port and shave... I bought HRC valve springs (in/exh)... I bought HRC JSB cams... I bought an Arrow header (bike came with hex Akrapovic slip on)...and I got a manual cam chain tensioner.

I still have to buy BMC race filters, HRC style ram air intake, and either an HRC ecu or one flashed by Guhl.

Since I don't know of any reputable Cbr head porters in the states AND I don't care to pay $1000+ dollars for <10hp, I will port it per the HRC manual and possibly have a valve job done on my spare head I bought.

I'm going to measure ptv and shave the head 0.030" if I can maintain the proper ptv... Undecided on what I will degree the cams to, but 104/105-106 sticks in my head (without going through my notes).

I drag race and street ride, so I'm not big on low end power... I need upper midrange and top end power.

I'm hoping to get this setup around 180whp... From there, I may turbocharge it and run it on E85 if I decide not to go with the 14.5:1 pistons and bigger cams.

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
Well, I've been collecting parts for my build... I'm going to start with a head and cam package, then do 14.5:1 pistons around mid-summer.

So... I bought a good 06 head (complete, ready to bolt on if I wanted to) that I'm going to port and shave... I bought HRC valve springs (in/exh)... I bought HRC JSB cams... I bought an Arrow header (bike came with hex Akrapovic slip on)...and I got a manual cam chain tensioner.

I still have to buy BMC race filters, HRC style ram air intake, and either an HRC ecu or one flashed by Guhl.

Since I don't know of any reputable Cbr head porters in the states AND I don't care to pay $1000+ dollars for <10hp, I will port it per the HRC manual and possibly have a valve job done on my spare head I bought.

I'm going to measure ptv and shave the head 0.030" if I can maintain the proper ptv... Undecided on what I will degree the cams to, but 104/105-106 sticks in my head (without going through my notes).

I drag race and street ride, so I'm not big on low end power... I need upper midrange and top end power.

I'm hoping to get this setup around 180whp... From there, I may turbocharge it and run it on E85 if I decide not to go with the 14.5:1 pistons and bigger cams.
you'll be fine with .030". max you want off for JSB's on 06/07 w/ stock cyl deck & stk pistons is .8mm (.0315")

you should see at least 178.

where the F did you find 06 hrc jsb cams? or are they webs?

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cams are used HRC JSB cams that Simon Kobe Japan had for sale on eBay... I bought the cams and HRC valve springs from him so far...

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so... reading comprehension owns me... I thought what I bought were JSB cams, but they are infact JSB Endurance cams... so less duration and lift than the JSB cams. They will still work for my goal of breaking 170whp I guess... 180 would be ideal, because that would give me enough power to put my bike in the 8's in the 1/4 mile... an all motor cbr1000 running 8's is a spectacle... especially considering you rarely see one at the dragstrip, and when you do, it's usually running 10's ... given, the ones I've seen running 10's are not extended and setup for drag...

I would expect a fairly stock 06-07 setup for drag (full exhaust and gearing minimum) to run 9.60's with a 180lb rider... considering that's what i consistantly ran on my 05 zx10r that made 152whp on a reputable dyno, i expect my cbr could run similar times or even a little quicker....cbr seems to be a little stronger than my zx10 was just from street riding, and the cbr only has a slip-on and geared.

I have a few races already setup with some cocky gixxer owners, so I will be updating this thread with videos... races are scheduled for march/april....my build will be done before then. Those retards fail to realize that I come from the gixxer/busa camp, I know what their combos make.... which is a far cry from what these big name tuners claim... for example, i have a friend with an 05 gsxr1000 with a big name tuner's 3x4 (3mm bore and 4mm stroker crank) engine and cnc ported head and web cams... all that equated to 190hp on a third party dyno with no interest in deflating the numbers...we wont talk about cost, but lets just say it starts at $4500 ... if i can get 170-180whp out of the cbr with a head/cam package, It's going to be a miserable summer for ALOT of non-Honda riders in the drag racing world this year! These bikes get 0 respect in this world... I like being the over-acheiving underdog:cool:

ok... back to my parts research... updates coming as things progress....:popcorn2:

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
so... reading comprehension owns me... I thought what I bought were JSB cams, but they are infact JSB Endurance cams... so less duration and lift than the JSB cams.... :
'06 JSB cam #'s from HRC manual:
IN...14110-NL9-C30
EX...14210-NL9-C30

no mention of "endurance", if it helps

*edit* 2 others listed:
IN...14110-MEL-R10
EX...14210-MEL-R10

1 - 20 of 67 Posts