120 Posts
'06 JSB cam #'s from HRC manual:
IN...14110-NL9-C30
EX...14210-NL9-C30

no mention of "endurance", if it helps

*edit* 2 others listed:
IN...14110-MEL-R10
EX...14210-MEL-R10
Whats the difference in the SBK cams (14110/14210-MEL-R10) and the JSB cams? I'm looking at the same cams to buy.

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
Whats the difference in the SBK cams (14110/14210-MEL-R10) and the JSB cams? I'm looking at the same cams to buy.
those MEL #'s are listed as JSB's. they're shown as stand alone parts while the other set of #'s are shown as part of a power up kit. doesn't mention whether they are different JSB grinds or not.

listed elsewhere are the 06 SBK cams...
IN...14110-NL9-C00
EX...14210-NL9-C00

the sbk's have more lift and I think more duration than jsb's. and they definitely need more compression to "work"

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's my understanding of these different cams... The sbk cams are the largest which require 14.5:1 compression... The order of largest to smallest of HRC cams goes JSB... Endurance...basic racer. The basic racer is fine with stock 12.2:1 compression and the other two need 13.5:1... They all need valve springs and extra rpm's to see all of the HP.

The cams I bought are part # IN...14110-MEL-R10 EX...14210-MEL-R10 .... They are listed in the 2006 HRC manual along with the JSB cams (different part numbers), but I don't know what they are.

The same part number is also listed in the 2004 HRC manual, and are the only cams I see listed... I just hope these aren't the basic racer cams, because they probably won't work too well for what I want to do... I googled the part number and other sources show JSB endurance cams, so I'm guessing that's what they are. I'll measure them when I get them in my hand.
So, essentially, my bike being an 06 model, should have the same intake cam... If my understanding that the 06-07 bikes have an 2004 HRC SBK?JSB? Intake cam?

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
...If my understanding that the 06-07 bikes have an 2004 HRC SBK?JSB? Intake cam?
heard of this before...

should add that in the "remarks" column next to the MEL # cams is "R/B".
abbreviations breakdown lists this as "racer base vehicle (for Japan only)".....basic racer maybe? :shrug:

·
Deus Valt
12,890 Posts
Here's my understanding of these different cams... The sbk cams are the largest which require 14.5:1 compression... The order of largest to smallest of HRC cams goes JSB... Endurance...basic racer. The basic racer is fine with stock 12.2:1 compression and the other two need 13.5:1... They all need valve springs and extra rpm's to see all of the HP.

The cams I bought are part # IN...14110-MEL-R10 EX...14210-MEL-R10 .... They are listed in the 2006 HRC manual along with the JSB cams (different part numbers), but I don't know what they are.

The same part number is also listed in the 2004 HRC manual, and are the only cams I see listed... I just hope these aren't the basic racer cams, because they probably won't work too well for what I want to do... I googled the part number and other sources show JSB endurance cams, so I'm guessing that's what they are. I'll measure them when I get them in my hand.
So, essentially, my bike being an 06 model, should have the same intake cam... If my understanding that the 06-07 bikes have an 2004 HRC SBK?JSB? Intake cam?
are you close to columbia ? Pay Brandon Coates a visit , he will help you https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carolina-Motorsports-LLC/325707357500770?pnref=lhc

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
heard of this before...

should add that in the "remarks" column next to the MEL # cams is "R/B".
abbreviations breakdown lists this as "racer base vehicle (for Japan only)".....basic racer maybe? :shrug:
Makes sense to me... too bad for me if they are base racer cams, I will have to re-sell them and get some regrinds...

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I will post here, but I'm pretty sure the cams with "MEL" in the part number are the basic racer cams... I have a set of 04 and 06 cams... I will measure them along with the HRC cams.... I have the lift and duration numbers for all those cams, so the lobe height should tell the story.

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, got the HRC cams today, so I will measure the lobes one day this week... Can clearly see the difference in lobe thickness near the top of the lobes (duration)... Lift looks pretty similar, but my calipers will tell the story...

Stock 04 cam on left, HRC on right...

Attachments

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For you guys that haven't seen this... I've been compiling notes from older threads (mostly from Deil11 and Tim Dog) as they seem to be the two with the most experience with these engines.... so here are some cam specs and what-not ive accumulated in my notes...

"First you have to decide what HP level you are chasing so you know which of the 4 HRC cams you will use and how much compression you will need to run.

The cams are:

1) Basic racer (low lift long duration, standard compression 12.1:1, 170ish RWHP, 13,500rpm rev limit)

2) JSB Endurance (low lift, medium duration 13.5:1 comp 180ish RWHP,13000rpm limit.

3) JSB (Japanese Superbike) medium lift, medium duration 13.5:1 comp 180-190 RWHP, 13,500rpm rev limit.

4) WSBK (High lift, long duration 14.5:1 comp, 205-215RWHP, 13,750rpm rev limit)

Jas is on the right track with the pistons, HRC are quite expensive, and JE and Wiseco have good pistons off the shelf that rate around 13.5:1 which are good for all but the WSBK spec cams which require 14.5:1 (even 15:1)compression to work properly! And yes this is running 98 octane unleaded without any pinging, preignition or detionation! Thats what the World Superbike guys have to run. "

.... a chart I put together for my reference... the cam specs seem whacky because the durations are at different measurements..ie... the Web cams are measured at 0.050", while I will guess the HRC's may be at 1mm? the Erion cam is measured at 0.039", and who knows what the crower and Kent cams are measured at (I haven't asked). I believe crower's specs are cam lift and not valve lift, since it is supposed to be a drop-in cam....oh well...take it for what it's worth, because it's not gospel, just a rough idea of what's what...

OEM Crower s2 HRC racer HRC JSB HRC endurance WSBK
in 244 249 255 255 255 255
ex 230 240 250 255 250 250
lift---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in 0.358” 0.398” 0.350” 0.362” 0.350” 0.374”
ex 0.330” 0.365” 0.330” 0.342” 0.322” 0.354”

Web Cams Web Cams Web Cams Kent Cams Erion cbr1000rr
760/759 1002/194 540/11i HON34 drop-ins
intake
242 248 248 264 254◦
exhaust
234 240 241 262 250◦

intake
0.376” 0.376” 0.384” 0.372” 0.358”
exhaust
0.363” 0.350” 0.358” 0.353” 0.358”

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
thanks! do you know the part numbers of these 4 cams?
It seems to depend on what year bike you are looking for. I only know the part numbers that are in the HRC manuals... the 2004 manual lists the
IN...14110-MEL-R10
EX...14210-MEL-R10
cams as SBk (I assume, since I didn't see any other cams listed), but the 2006 HRC manual has a different part number for SBK cams, JSB cams, and the MEL number cams are listed as racer base cams....I don't have my notes with me, but I will compile a list for us.

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
results...

Ok, so I have 3-sets of cams I measured... set from an 04, a set out of an 06, and the HRC cams (14110-MEL-R10 / 142110-MEL-R10). Just to alleviate anxiety, the HRC cams measure out to be the base racer cams... basically stock lift with longer duration.

I did my best to be as accurate as possible, using what I have toolwise (a set of digital calipers)... i took several measurements of each lobe and base... I averaged them for each cam. Here is what I got for measurements... only lift... I see no visible difference in the thickness of the 06 vs 04 cams (I didn't measure them either)...

OEM 04-05... In-0.336" / ex-0.332"
OEM 06-07... In-0.352" / ex-0.328"
HRC MEL-R10... In-0.350" / ex-0.327"

So the MEL-R10 HRC cams are indeed base racer cams ... im curious to know the HP difference between all the HRC cams that utilize 13.5:1 compression. Looking at the 2004 HRC manual, they are calling for 13.6:1 compression with these cams... so they may be able to get into the 170-180whp range?

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
basic racers huh?...what a buzzkill. :sad010:

my guess would be 170/180, based on what mine pulled.

have you CC'd a stock 06 head yet?

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
basic racers huh?...what a buzzkill. :sad010:

my guess would be 170/180, based on what mine pulled.

have you CC'd a stock 06 head yet?
LOL... yes, I was kinda let-down also, but at least I know what I have.

I'll most likely use it anyway, just because I'm curious.

No, I haven't cc'd the head... supposedly shaving the head ~.8mm (0.0315"), will net 13.8:1 compression and still have proper PTV clearence. I will check mine when I start putting it together.

Now if I could just get someone to share the wealth about what works on porting the heads, I would be in the game! I have to buy some inside-calipers and take some measurements to see what I'm working with...in my research, I seen every other topic get talked about in detail, except head porting...all the responses eluded to paying someone else to do it....not my stlye, so I'll find out what I need to know, or HP will DIE while I'm trying! :th_SmlyROFL:

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
I'm no pro on the subject...just applied what little I remembered from my vw days.
you can remove any material that's higher than the ID of the seats that can choke flow & then radius that off into the ports nice.
any seams, obvious high spots, what not can be knocked down.
use your fingers to see what your eyes can't...use the fingers Luke!

mcmaster carr sells these 1/8" shank, 3/4" OD sanding flaps that work fantastic when chucked up to a flex cable. no place inside is off limits to those things.
just wrap some masking tape around the collet nut cause you will tag the inside with the nut at some point.

measuring...meh, you could try but I think templates are easier given the assymetrical'ness (is that a word, lol) that ports are.
IN side you can use the insulators. I'd matchmark them after scribing.

as mentioned, I'm no pro so take it fwiw. surely not as good as a pro w/ a flowbench, but sure beats doing nothing.

for the ex side I made a master template to keep them equal as possible. blue the face then scribe with a super fine point & go to town.

Attachments

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sound advice!... And it's greatly appreciated! I have my own theories about head porting, but not like I've studied fluid dynamics or anything, so I'll keep my theories to myself until I try them out...lol.

Thanks for the tips AND telling where to get supplies, I've been looking at a few porting kits for aluminum... I like that template! Great idea! Nice work on that head!

I'm trying to find something that will dimple the inside of my ports similar to a golf ball... Just something I would like to try (along with velocity porting).

21 - 40 of 67 Posts