Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want to know how you tuned the ecu for boost. Is there a pressure based fuel map for the stock map sensor? I was told by Woolich it was not possible to flash my 05 ecu for boost. If you have a way to read the stock maps I'm interested. I'm using the power commander with a pressure sensor but without knowing the ecu duty cycle its hard to know how much fuel I can spray.

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I want to know how you tuned the ecu for boost. Is there a pressure based fuel map for the stock map sensor? I was told by Woolich it was not possible to flash my 05 ecu for boost. If you have a way to read the stock maps I'm interested. I'm using the power commander with a pressure sensor but without knowing the ecu duty cycle its hard to know how much fuel I can spray.
I don't know of anyone who's flashing the 04-05 ecu's, my bike is an 06. But if you use a PCV, you can use a GM 3-bar map sensor and wire it to the pcv to make a boost referenced tune. I can read/modify/flash 06+ ecu's, but haven't had any luck with the 04-05....wasn't aware that woolich offered a flash solution for the 04-05's...that's awesome if they do! Just so you know, you can tune the turbo bike the traditional way and it'll still work just fine...the only advantage I see for doing a MAP based tune is; if you change boost pressure (max) often... you could theoretically map the bike from say 6 -20psi and use a boost controller to switch between different pressures for whatever reason....my setup is a set 10psi, so once it's mapped, I don't mess with it...just the periodic check to make sure everything is where it should be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are right, Woolich only offers the 06. I think they said they can not offer map based tuning on the 06-07.

Tuning without a pressure table would be ok for low boost for the most part. Where you'd have problems is if the throttle is closed above boost onset and you snap the throttle back open your tune assumes there will be boost at that rpm and throttle % but for a second or two there is not and it goes rich during lag. It gets worse the higher boost you run.

I think when you go higher boost you'll want map based tuning and boost by gear. 300hp+ in 1st and 2nd can be a lot to handle and feathering the throttle to keep the front wheel down like on an N/A bike just doesn't work well. I'm currently setup doing exactly as you suggested, PC5 and SFM with a bosch map sensor and boost controlled by gear. My base tune is 6psi and pressure table handles the rest to 20psi. This has worked great but I just don't like not knowing my actual injector duty cycles. If I had the stock ecu maps I could infer my total duty % using my PC5 maps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also I looked at the pic of the three bikes and the bike in the back has a cyclelogic plenum. If that is the one with the boost leak I bet it was the plastic piece on the bottom. That can be a great plenum with some mods.

Attachments

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
You are right, Woolich only offers the 06. I think they said they can not offer map based tuning on the 06-07.

Tuning without a pressure table would be ok for low boost for the most part. Where you'd have problems is if the throttle is closed above boost onset and you snap the throttle back open your tune assumes there will be boost at that rpm and throttle % but for a second or two there is not and it goes rich during lag. It gets worse the higher boost you run.

I think when you go higher boost you'll want map based tuning and boost by gear. 300hp+ in 1st and 2nd can be a lot to handle and feathering the throttle to keep the front wheel down like on an N/A bike just doesn't work well. I'm currently setup doing exactly as you suggested, PC5 and SFM with a bosch map sensor and boost controlled by gear. My base tune is 6psi and pressure table handles the rest to 20psi. This has worked great but I just don't like not knowing my actual injector duty cycles. If I had the stock ecu maps I could infer my total duty % using my PC5 maps.
Ok. I follow what you're saying, I just haven't run into that problem yet...I guess I will with this next build because I'm expecting to run between 15 and 20psi this time around. I had plans to try to do the map based tune with my bazzaz, but if that doesn't work, I will either get the pcv or go with a standalone. My plan is to retard timing in 1st and 2nd to keep the power manageable, but not sure how well that's going to work. uncharted territory for me right now.

·
turbo everything!...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Also I looked at the pic of the three bikes and the bike in the back has a cyclelogic plenum. If that is the one with the boost leak I bet it was the plastic piece on the bottom. That can be a great plenum with some mods.
yup, the cyclelogic plenum I have has been modified, no plastic anywhere on my plenum. The plenum that leaked was from holeshot racing in the UK... not sure how he ever thought that plenum would seal to the cbr's throttle body.... I made it seal, but the plenum was too tall once done, so it's sold to someone with a cbr engine in a car...should work well for him.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts