Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a pretty decent oil leak coming from the weep hole of the water pump, left side.

No coolant is leaking, but let the bike idle on the stand for 5 minutes and you’ll have some drops on the floor. Chased it to this hole. This pic is of an entire pump from eBay. Can I replace a seal? Is the pump faulty?
Coolant level is fine, pump seems to work fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you 100% sure it's coming from that hole and not dripping in that area from the O-ring that's behind it?
yup. First thought just the Oring but that mating surface between the pump cylinder and engine black is bone dry. I can watch that hole pool up with oil before dripping down

·
A1 SuperMod!
957 Posts
The water pump is not considered a serviceable part, so Honda does not make any internal parts available for it. I would suggest replacing the pump, because even if you tear it apart and find the worn component there's no way to source a replacement part.

As a side note, is your oil level within the range on the dipstick? No crankcase pressure build up (i.e. does it still leak with the oil cap loose?)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The water pump is not considered a serviceable part, so Honda does not make any internal parts available for it. I would suggest replacing the pump, because even if you tear it apart and find the worn component there's no way to source a replacement part.

As a side note, is your oil level within the range on the dipstick? No crankcase pressure build up (i.e. does it still leak with the oil cap loose?)
Roger that. I’ll order a new water pump and give it a go.

Oh wow I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll repeat my test on the stand and see. I know the PCV system on these bikes is fairly simple, just the valve cover guys. My bike has SMOG delete plates installed, wonder if that is affecting anything.

As for testing crankcase pressure I read on another thread an easy test while the bike is off is try and blow through the filler cap and it should be easy. Just tried that and it was easy, no resistance / blockage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup still leaks with the filler cap completely removed. Guess the mechanical seal inside the water pump failed on the oil side. New pump is on the way

·
Registered
2016 CBR1000RR
67 Posts
Glad ya got it figured out… I never would’ve guessed oil could leak out of a water pump weep hole but after closely looking at the pics and what you and blade were saying it makes sense and glad I was able to learn something from your thread. After all that’s why I’m on here. Thanks and update us after you get it installed and sorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts