Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 to '11 Showa rear Shock upgrade CBR1000RR

So, I am not sure if I am not searching this forum correctly, but I can not find any threads about upgrading the rear (or front) suspension from the newer CBR models. So far, I know that the '12 to '16 CBR suspensions is very easily interchangeable with the "08 to '11 model. I think the rear shock would even work from the "17 to "19 models, but not sure on that.

Either Way, I am interested to hear if anyone has done this upgrade (especially on the rear shock) and what kind of a difference can be expected from the newer balance free showa shock. I don't take my bike on the race track, but I do enjoy some spirited canyon carving.

I have ordered a used rear Showa shock from ebay with roughly 5K miles on it for about $70. Got it today and it turns out the seller sent me an old '05 Suzuki GSX1000 rear shock :crying:
Spoke with the seller and I should have my correct shock next week.

·
Can't Spell
329 Posts
My guess is you won't feel much of a difference, but I've never pushed a 08-11 model to know how the rear works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is you won't feel much of a difference, but I've never pushed a 08-11 model to know how the rear works.
So you don't think there will be much of a difference between an '09 shock with 32000 miles on it vs. a '15 shock with only 5000 miles on it? I figured there wouldn't be all that much of a difference between the models, but there must be some kind of difference between a worn out shock and a new one, no?

·
Can't Spell
329 Posts
You never said anything about your old shock being worn out, you asked about the difference between a stock 08-11 vs the 12+ balance free shock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You never said anything about your old shock being worn out, you asked about the difference between a stock 08-11 vs the 12+ balance free shock.
lol, you are right. I confused threads, I was talking about my old worn out shock vs the new one on a different forum. :) Sorry

·
Can't Spell
329 Posts
All good. But yes, the new not worn out shock should be a large difference. Just look how quickly fork oil gets dirty and breaks down.

·
Superbike Squid Bro
501 Posts
I was able to fit the 2017+ balance free shock into the 08-11 model. It was half a pound heavier than the 2008-2011 shock but half a pound lighter than the 12-16 shock. I would say the balance free shock is an awesome upgrade that really can help keep your wheel on the ground and extend tire life a bit. It is cheap, quick to install and nice bonus if you are getting a shock with much less mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts