Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some of you setup gurus can provide some suggestions.

The 1000rr is awesome, but to me the pegs are a bit high (I am 5'11", 195, w/31" inseam). I am considering Sato and Gilies rear sets.

My goal is to move the pegs slightly to increase canyon, street and track comfort without hurting corning clearance or the proper riding geometry.

My thought is to drop the pegs a max of 1/2" and back very slightly 1/2" or less. This is just an idea, and I am looking for some ideas.

Most rear sets appear designed for more aggressive than stock riding position.

So my questions are:

1. Which direction(s) of adjustments would you recommend (down, back, up, forward) AND how much movement in each direction?

2. Which rear sets do you recommend? The Gilies appear to be the most adjustable.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Personally, I woudl recommend either the Moriwaki or Sato rearsets, both offer high quality and a full range of adjustments.

If you think the stock rearsets are high, don't even think about going to the aftermarket ones, since most of them have the default position of 10mm up and 0mm back(from stock position).

For a complete range of adjustments, check out the Sato webiste

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsetscbr1000rr.htm

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
IronNutz said:
As far as I've seen, none of the aftermarket rearsets allow you to go down from the stock positioning, just up and back.
The Vortex rearsets let you go 10mm up, down, forward, or back from stock position. They also let you have regular or GP shift patterns.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I haven't looked at Vortex, only what I consider to be higher end rearsets: Gilles, Attack, Moriwaki, Sato... They are all up and back only. But if you need them to go down a little bit, it sounds like Vortex would be the way to go.

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
IronNutz said:
I haven't looked at Vortex, only what I consider to be higher end rearsets: Gilles, Attack, Moriwaki, Sato... They are all up and back only. But I guess if you need them to go down a little bit, Vortex would be the way to go.
What about the Vortex rearsets is lower end compared to the others? Fit & finish? Durability? I've never seen (in person) or used any aftermarket rearsets, so I'm pretty cluesless of the technical differences.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LtcOliverNorth said:
Duckhunter - we want pics! :D

I think out of all the rearsets the Satos are the best looking... Mori a distant second. Ridersinc.com has the Satos for $450... anyone seen a better advertised price?
I looked at the Sato's today in the shop, but my bike was not there so we could not be sure. They are beautiful pieces! If they do go down at all, it is 1/4" or so. But that much back and down might do the trick.

Am I the only one that thinks the stock foot pegs are at least a bit high? I rode about 210 miles on Sunday, and it does get a bit cramped.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
GB7 said:
IronNutz said:
I haven't looked at Vortex, only what I consider to be higher end rearsets: Gilles, Attack, Moriwaki, Sato... They are all up and back only. But I guess if you need them to go down a little bit, Vortex would be the way to go.
What about the Vortex rearsets is lower end compared to the others? Fit & finish? Durability? I've never seen (in person) or used any aftermarket rearsets, so I'm pretty cluesless of the technical differences.

The higher end rearsets use ball bearings instead of busings sometimes even 2 per lever like on the Sato's & they are specifically designed to bend instead of brake. I can personally attest that the Sato's have saved my RC as they are sturdy enough to be used as frame sliders

This was an RC page I made a long time ago might be of some relevance here

http://www.rc51.org/rearsets.htm

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
i have the vortex rearsets. you can move them up,down,forward,or back from stock. good quality. the pegs really hold your boot well too. check em out at:

http://hardracing.com/

·
Mmmmmm, cookies!
61 Posts
I would highly recommend the Sato's. I am running them on my 954 and they are the cats ass. Build quality is far above any I have seen before. The ball bearing mounts are smooth as butter when shifting. Oli has seen mine and he can tell you they are nice. I went with the Sato's because many riders on another forum use them on their 929's and 954's and nothing but goo things to say. I must say, I have to agree with LDH and others...Sato's all the way!

D-Dub

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear sets

I traded my RC51 in on my 1000rr and I have absolutly no complaints, except that I seem cramped on it. I am 6'4" tall and my knees ache after rideing after a period of time. I know nothing about rear sets, so what do I need to do to correct this problem? Any suggestions? If I buy rear sets, what way should I adjust them?

Thanks, TJ Baker

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
ive never seen them do it either but i do think the bud in your avatar looks sort of PURPLE!

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
Ok the Sato rearsets are friggin awesome! They are not only the best rearsets I have ever tested (which is why I keep putting them on every bike I get), but on the RR they make the shift throw shorter so each gear is just a very short click with the boot.

I've got a webpage to post this afternoon on my site with pics & more details

·
Banned
10,128 Posts
I have a ? for you. For some reason i thought i heard the vortex rearsets that fit the 600rr will fit the 1000rr? if this is the case why is dan selling the sato rearsets for the 1000rr for more money than the 600rr? does he not have enough money yet :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.