Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy on one of the other forums has both, ran them both on the dyno.

1000RR with Arrow slip-on: 149HP

ZX-10 (Stock I'm assuming): 153HP

According to Arrow's website, the slip-on at peak makes 2.8 HP over stock. So we're talking 6-7 HP difference in this case.

Here's some comments he made. "It does sound like the engine is pinging slightly in first gear when I take off but I don't think it's a big deal". - Guess it's not just you guys on this site then...

"I can't decide which one I like best. The kwak feels way faster at higher rpm's but I think the CBR is a lot easier to ride and I would probably be able to go faster on the CBR". - Sounds inline with what we've all read.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I really want to see what the CBR will pull once the motor has loosened up. They are routinely very tight from the factory (my last 3 were, RC51, 929rr, and VFR800) and take longer than the other mfr's to loosen up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 01 929 and a 2004 zx-10r. My friend Sub has a new 04 1000rr, we are planning on doing some bike swapping and maybe we can give some feedback on both of them. I know one thing, the zx-10 will do an EASY roll on wheelie in third at about 130 or so! And i went from 90-150 in a blink of an eye. It builds revs in almost a 2 stroke fashion, and above 9000 rpms you really gotta hold on. My friend was on his 175 rwhp zx12, and i was hanging right next to him, and i wasnt at full throttle.. he rode it and said it was just as fast as his 12, if not faster... ill wait till later and then dyno itr and let you know what it puts out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
4 hp difference, huh...? And how many people will actually get their bikes to a point at that RPM, at that speed, on the street, to notice the difference and live to tell about it. Dyno numbers are for reference and for bragging rights(if you can call it that). What the bike makes you feel and the fun you have on it is what really matters, in my opinion.
Mags have to be subjective and rate them on something so all you have are 'numbers' and times, because even they will admit, how 'good' a bike is or how well it rides is strictly a matter of opinion. :roll:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
ice929 said:
I have a 01 929 and a 2004 zx-10r. My friend Sub has a new 04 1000rr, we are planning on doing some bike swapping and maybe we can give some feedback on both of them. I know one thing, the zx-10 will do an EASY roll on wheelie in third at about 130 or so! And i went from 90-150 in a blink of an eye. It builds revs in almost a 2 stroke fashion, and above 9000 rpms you really gotta hold on. My friend was on his 175 rwhp zx12, and i was hanging right next to him, and i wasnt at full throttle.. he rode it and said it was just as fast as his 12, if not faster... ill wait till later and then dyno itr and let you know what it puts out.
Well I'm not superman and I would much rather have a smooth, controlable bike then one that wants to wheelie at 130. That's not getting the most acceleration anyway because you can't pin it because the front end claws for the sky. I'm sure it's fun to mess around on though.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theJrod said:
Which forum was this on? I'd like to read more about it.
It was on a section of cbrworld, but it's a pretty dead zone. I posted all info related to this.

ice929 said:
I have a 01 929 and a 2004 zx-10r. My friend Sub has a new 04 1000rr, we are planning on doing some bike swapping and maybe we can give some feedback on both of them
I would be interested in hearing opinions on both sides.

Vale46 said:
4 hp difference, huh...? And how many people will actually get their bikes to a point at that RPM, at that speed, on the street, to notice the difference and live to tell about it. Dyno numbers are for reference and for bragging rights(if you can call it that). What the bike makes you feel and the fun you have on it is what really matters, in my opinion.
Mags have to be subjective and rate them on something so all you have are 'numbers' and times, because even they will admit, how 'good' a bike is or how well it rides is strictly a matter of opinion.
I totally agree, that was the main point of me posting these numbers. I could care less if the ZX-10 had 20 more HP, but it is nice to see they just might be closer than originally thought.

Joker45 said:
Well I'm not superman and I would much rather have a smooth, controlable bike then one that wants to wheelie at 130. That's not getting the most acceleration anyway because you can't pin it because the front end claws for the sky. I'm sure it's fun to mess around on though.
Exactly. In a minor way, the new one doesn't seem as fun to me as the 929 did because of the stunt factor, but as far as doing what it was designed to do, it's better in all respects. I bet the ZX-10 would be great for stunting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure the ZX10 has more ponies, but i'm not buying the 13-15 hp advantage that a couple of tests have shown. I'm guessing it's more in the 3-5 range. I've ridden with Ice929 on my 600rr and he was on his 929 and he rides like a big sissy anyways :D I won't mention the fact he had a passenger on the back :wink: anyways, we will get together this next weekend and give each other's bike a ride. I'll be sure to see how a ZX10 will survive a lowside :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sub said:
I'm sure the ZX10 has more ponies, but i'm not buying the 13-15 hp advantage that a couple of tests have shown. I'm guessing it's more in the 3-5 range. I've ridden with Ice929 on my 600rr and he was on his 929 and he rides like a big sissy anyways :D I won't mention the fact he had a passenger on the back :wink: anyways, we will get together this next weekend and give each other's bike a ride. I'll be sure to see how a ZX10 will survive a lowside :)

:twak: That is some funny stuff right there. Buy ya a :beer: if you do. :D

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
you know i am 'bout to slammed for this one.

i really dont like wheelies

sure they are fun but every time i have dumped a bike has been because the front wheel was not sticking to the earth

i have had my bikes with the back wheel 10-15 degrees out and never an issue

i think that if i had a bike the jerked the front end up all the time i would slide that mutha down an off ramp ..then we'd see how well it would sustain a low side :)

it is similar to the 2 str / 4 str dirt bike issue to me

some are faster on smokers and i am not

i am to busy keeping the front down vs. going fast

i think the zx 10 if what is said is ture would be much of the same

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i thought about the zx-10 when i seen it at the bike show. i knew with all that h.p. and how light the bike is. it would take too much mentally to ride. Same for the r-1 I'm quite sure they both are very docile at low rpms(city driving)but the open road you really couldn't test itfo fear of looping it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the latest post from that thread:

"Mine makes the slight pinging just off idle when taking off in first gear. Manual says that's normal and it's no issue."

Might have to check the manual for that one...

"Mine made 148 at the rear wheel stock with 485 miles on it. With the Jardine slip-on and powercommander it made 149 with 1100 miles on it. That sounds like what other dyno test have reported expect the preliminary 153 that I think Sport Rider magazie reported. From Sport Rider's most recent shoot out, I thought the ZX10R would have been much higher than that. I think they posted 166 or something like that. I don't feel so bad now. I'm willing to give up 4 or 5 hp for the extra stability and ridability of the CBR. It is rock solid and like you said easy to ride. It's amazingly easy to go fast."

Once again, inline with what we all thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
IronNutz, I looked in the manual and what it says is that some pinging is normal under loads and they give examples like low RPM going up a hill etc. But it also says that excessive pinging not under load should be immediately looked at by a dealer. Seems almost everyone's bike pings so either it's normal (can't imagine it is), or there is a problem that as more bikes get out there will become apparent to Honda dealers. Mine even pings just revving the engine in neutral.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sub said:

who's a sissy? lol.. i was hanging almost right behind you with my passenger hehe.. um, ive been riding streetbikes since 92 though :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah, after we stopped I looked at her and told her she was crazy. I would never get on the back of one of these things. We were riding moderately hard that day, could have easily gone faster but there were to many damn tourists on the road slowing us down. Ice929 had a friend that was on a death wish though. made a pass around a completely blind corner than if done 3 seconds later he would have been a hood ornament. I was not happy about it at all, and don't care to ride with people that are going to do that shit. I was just busting your balls ICE, I know you would have tried to put me in my place had you not had the passenger though you would have failed LOL. let's ride saturday if you can, I'm not sure I will be able to go on sunday. Good news though, my wife is willing to get on the back now which I'm really happy about. Might have to pickup a goldwing for some 2up riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.