Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....so I've mentioned before, I'm extremely happy with my 05 Fireblade. Pretty much does everything I could ask for.
But a lot has changed in 16 years.
OK....so IF I considered purchasing a 17-19 Fireblade....is it really all that important to do ECU flashes and computer Russian Roulette?
I would probably like a slip on for looks and sound, plus a few small cosmetic things, and good tires, but that's it.
I know I have to make the final decision....Just curious of other opinions.

Of course, finding a good 17-19 Fireblade anywhere close to me will be quite a challenge anyway.
View attachment 263203

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess you're right, it's probably not a big deal. It just seems like a lot of problems on this forum are related to having tunes. I guess since my 05 runs great without it, why the newer bikes should need it. Maybe I will get to ride one sometime and see if I think it needs help. 😏

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most bikes today just need a tune for flat spots and neutered power. Pretty standard stuff these days with ride by wire. As long as you have a reputable shop around it’s not a big deal. Whether you need it or not is strictly personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess tunes are just what you do now, but hearing flat spots and neutered power just sounds goofy to me for a $15,000 used bike. I can do 150 in a flash and use up the side of Q3s without a tune on my 05.
The newer bikes do look cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one anyway. Seems like everybody thinks they are worth it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess tunes are just what you do now, but hearing flat spots and neutered power just sounds goofy to me for a $15,000 used bike. I can do 150 in a flash and use up the side of Q3s without a tune on my 05.
The newer bikes do look cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one anyway. Seems like everybody thinks they are worth it.
Unfortunately flat spots and neutered bikes are consequences of trying to meet tightening emissions. Not to mention the US has been getting neutered bikes for decades. It’s just easier to get full power out of them nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Stand your ground
1,162 Posts
Since you love your 05 (rightly so) have you thought about upgrading it instead? There is a ton of fat that can be cut off those things, not to mention adding quality suspension, quickshifter, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback....I appreciate it.
I'm guessing most who are doing all the computer mods are doing track days or trying to break 200mph on streets. I won't be doing either, so probably a stock 17-19 Fireblade with a slip on would do everything I'm capable of.
But I won't get rid of my 05 until I can actually ride a newer version.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just buy the Ape from your neighbor!

• Angry
Reactions: mountain CBR

·
BOTM Moderator
613 Posts
OK....so I've mentioned before, I'm extremely happy with my 05 Fireblade. Pretty much does everything I could ask for.
OK....so IF I considered purchasing a 17-19 Fireblade....is it really all that important to do ECU flashes and computer Russian Roulette?
I would probably like a slip on for looks and sound, plus a few small cosmetic things, and good tires, but that's it.
I think @jjscsix went through a similar thought process. He bought the bike, didn't want to go crazy on mods, but wanted the engine to run smooth and at the end got some sort of a flash update. (this is all from memory so I might have summarized incorrectly).

So IMO, going with a newer bike you'll get what you want, better handling, better motor, electronics.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think @jjscsix went through a similar thought process. He bought the bike, didn't want to go crazy on mods, but wanted the engine to run smooth and at the end got some sort of a flash update. (this is all from memory so I might have summarized incorrectly).

So IMO, going with a newer bike you'll get what you want, better handling, better motor, electronics.
You are correct. After a lot of research I had Dano’s do what I would call a “basic” flash. It supposedly is essentially what the rest of the world gets from Honda. It gets rid of the reduced throttle opening under certain conditions and cleans up the A/F ratio that causes “stuttering” in acceleration in the mid range RPMs. To me the extra horsepower, I think around 16 more, was just a bonus.

I have had it on the bike since last November. I think about 7,000 miles since then. Zero downside. And yes, I consider it essential if the bike “stutters” like mine did. And it’s my understanding that they do. Mine is a 2018.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think this video from Chris Moore Mafia tuning will answer a lot of questions and dispel doubts:

·
Can't Spell
454 Posts
Riding wise they aren't worth it, but looks wise yes sometimes they are. I really like the 12-16's. And the new RRRR is sofa king hot. Otherwise the other models aren't doing anything for me that the older ones don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
18kg lighter, more aggressive rider position, new engine, better handling chassis more like a 600, best looking blade yet. What's not to like?

Used 17s go for about $17K AUD here in Australia. A good used 15 is typically $13-$15K. High mileage above 35,000km will dip down to $11K. I saw an awesome 17 for $15,500 with cat-back Akro and if I had the cash would have grabbed it.

I think I'll see if a good enough 14-15 becomes available for around $11-$12K.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why bother with the tuning decision right now? Go get the bike, use it as it is for a while and then you'll know if you need a tune. Maybe you realize you don't even need a '17, sell it and keep your loved '05.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts

Of course, finding a good 17-19 Fireblade anywhere close to me will be quite a challenge anyway.
View attachment 263203
I know what you mean. I have an 06 and when I tossed it down the track, I didn't have the good sense to call my insurance company. Instead I rebuilt out of my own pocket and spent way more than what made sense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts