Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Just picked up a 17' CBR1000RR SP. I've owned about every brand over the years, including a 12' CBR1000RR that I sold a couple years ago. Anyway, I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers from the group regarding the 17+.

Rearsets- Do the 08+ rear sets fit and function correctly on the 17+? Browsing the web is giving me mixed info. Some sites list 08-18 for their rear sets. Others do not. I'm looking to have peg adjustment more than anything. I have a set of the 360 adjustable pegs, but that's not going to work for me. I really want a set of solid rear sets that allow adjustment and a more positive shift feel. I've always run Vortex on my past track bikes.

Gearing- Dropping 1 tooth on the CS. I've read mixed reviews on changing gearing and it's affects on the electronics. Has anyone done this without changing anything else? I'm planning to flash the bike, so I gather after that it may not "need" to be geared. I do plan to take it to some track days however and that will require re-gearing based on the track.

Flashing- Thinking about going Woolich. I did this on my 16' ZX10R. Can the Woolich software reverse the shift switch for GP? Or, do you have to buy an aftermarket switch?

Bar risers- Has anyone successfully installed a bar riser kit or the woodcraft clip on risers? I'm getting old. Looking at the clearance of the stock bars, raising the position even 1" looks to be challenging without them moving closer as well. The upper fairing is super tight on full lock.

I read that the HRC ecu unlocks the advanced settings where you can adjust tire size, sprockets etc. not planning to convert my bike however. I have not reached out to Anthony yet on the woolich capabilities.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a feeling he might be the guy. I’ve read a ton of threads with his contributions.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I Just picked up a 17' CBR1000RR SP. I've owned about every brand over the years, including a 12' CBR1000RR that I sold a couple years ago. Anyway, I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers from the group regarding the 17+.

Rearsets- Do the 08+ rear sets fit and function correctly on the 17+? Browsing the web is giving me mixed info. Some sites list 08-18 for their rear sets. Others do not. I'm looking to have peg adjustment more than anything. I have a set of the 360 adjustable pegs, but that's not going to work for me. I really want a set of solid rear sets that allow adjustment and a more positive shift feel. I've always run Vortex on my past track bikes.
Don't screw around with rear sets on any of the 2017/18 Honda QS setup bikes.
Shift rod and lever alignment and angle are critical to proper QS operation.
Evoltech & Ten Kate rear sets work well on under severe shifting conditions with out any QS issues.
Bonamicci do not work properly.
Try others at your own risk.

Gearing- Dropping 1 tooth on the CS. I've read mixed reviews on changing gearing and it's affects on the electronics. Has anyone done this without changing anything else? I'm planning to flash the bike, so I gather after that it may not "need" to be geared. I do plan to take it to some track days however and that will require re-gearing based on the track.
The roper answer is very simple. To maintain the correct Torque Management response from the TC/WC do not make any gearing changes.
People claim no noticeable effects to changing gearing but the brutal truth is they have NO IDEA what the correct TC/WC response should have been for a given situation so just because they have not experienced an "problems" they assume that the gearing change had no effect on the TC\WC responses.

They are wrong. Period.

The HRC ECU and street 1000RRs share the same core torque management routines and front and center in the HRC ECU is the requirment to adjust for tire and sprocket gearing changes.

Bottom-line is make gearing changes at your own risk - you may be satisfied with the changes and system reaction or not. You might first try riding the track with stock tires and gearing to get a measure for how the stock setup reacts to various situations, then change gearing and see if the TC/WC still kicks in the way it did before.

Flashing- Thinking about going Woolich. I did this on my 16' ZX10R. Can the Woolich software reverse the shift switch for GP? Or, do you have to buy an aftermarket switch?
Shift orientation is done via the Honda dash, but if you use rear sets then GP shift actualy retains the same gear shift rod orientation so th ebike has no idea youare GP shifting.

Note the stock and rear set pivot point of the gear lever. Stock picks up behind the pivot, rear sets pickup ahead of the pivot and as such are you GP shifting without the bike needing to know.

Bar risers- Has anyone successfully installed a bar riser kit or the woodcraft clip on risers? I'm getting old. Looking at the clearance of the stock bars, raising the position even 1" looks to be challenging without them moving closer as well. The upper fairing is super tight on full lock.
Riser bars? Wow you must be old.. ;) Never bothered looking into riser bars I just suffer the aches and pains :)

I read that the HRC ecu unlocks the advanced settings where you can adjust tire size, sprockets etc. not planning to convert my bike however. I have not reached out to Anthony yet on the woolich capabilities.
I provided my HRC ECU image to Woolich on day 1 to help them unlock the Sport Kit in the stock ECU. No luck.

The HRC ECU doesn't really unlock the sport kit features, those are the HRC ECU features.

Honda simply lied to us pre-order folks that there was a way to "unlock" the appropriate setting interface - you need to go full HRC to get there.
With HRC ECU you lose Ohlins, ABS, light etc.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to what may be your most frustrating and rewarding 1000cc purchase ever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any recommendations on rear sets that will work straight out the box? No GP shift, all I really need is retain stock height, but move them a little to the rear. I do have the OEM QS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts