Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading "For customers with Brembo M50 Calipers. Brembo recomends the 17 RCS instead of the 19 RCS" Isnt that the calipers that are on there? Looks like everyone runs 19s though.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,561 Posts
The Brembo 17RCS Master Cylinder is optimized for dual-caliper, four-piston braking systems. Featuring a large 17mm piston, the 17RCS master cylinder issues better feedback than the 19RCS while still providing excellent stopping power

·
Registered
225 Posts
The SC 77 SP have the 1st generation of Brembo monoblocks the (4) 34mm pistons per caliper, which is ideally paired with the Brembo 19x18/20. originally came out in 2007 on the ducati 1098

The M50 caliper is the 2nd gen monoblock caliper from brembo, which is on the kawi's, the L twin Ducatis, aprilai RSV4 from 13+... these have (4) 30mm piston per caliper. ideally suited for the RCS 17x18/20. I run these my triumph 675R, with the RCS 17x18/20 great combo.

The STYLEMA is the 3rd gen brembo monoblock still with (4) 30mm pistons per caliper, but they reduce weight vs the M50 and are stiffer. these first came on the V4 panigale, and now RSV4 and the new cbr 1000rr-r... awesome caliper, and my favorite amongst the 3. used them on my MV Agusta F3... again this uses RCS 17x18/20

for japanese caliper pacing Brembo sells the GP4RS, which is a M50 caliper in 108mm spacing, and with a brembo 17x18/20 RCS they are awesome stuff..

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,099 Posts
19RCS can achieve a similar effect as using a smaller diameter piston in the MC by moving the pivot over from 20 to 18. The OEM pistons are 30/32mm, so with the same MC the M4's already offer more stopping power for a given amount of lever force because the caliper pistons are bigger at 34mm. You don't want to go to the 17mm MC because with larger pistons you will have excessive lever travel before engagement.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,099 Posts
09_Blade, so the Brembo calipers on the SP are not true M4 monoblocks then (4) 34mm pistons?
They are functionally the same as the M4 calipers in that they use the same pistons, same seals, and can be rebuilt using the M4 rebuild kit. However, Brembo aftermarket M4 calipers differ in that the hole for the banjo bolt is 1.5 inch higher than the M4 calipers on the 1000rr SP model.

OEM Tokico calipers have the banjo coming off dead center. I believe Brembo made this caliper so the same OEM brake lines can be used on the SP.

To be fair, most all Brembo aftermarket calipers P4, GP4-RX, GP4-RR have the banjo bolt higher up and it's annoying when you upgrade and realize you have almost two inches of extra line banging against the radiator.

By having the banjo bolt at the OEM location, this allows you to use a CBR1000RR specific kit from Galfer, Spiegler, etc and not have to custom order lines.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They are functionally the same as the M4 calipers in that they use the same pistons, same seals, and can be rebuilt using the M4 rebuild kit. However, Brembo aftermarket M4 calipers differ in that the hole for the banjo bolt is 1.5 inch higher than the M4 calipers on the 1000rr SP model.

OEM Tokico calipers have the banjo coming off dead center. I believe Brembo made this caliper so the same OEM brake lines can be used on the SP.

To be fair, most all Brembo aftermarket calipers P4, GP4-RX, GP4-RR have the banjo bolt higher up and it's annoying when you upgrade and realize you have almost two inches of extra line banging against the radiator.

By having the banjo bolt at the OEM location, this allows you to use a CBR1000RR specific kit from Galfer, Spiegler, etc and not have to custom order lines.
That is how they do the "aftermarket" 108mm as well if i recall when i had them.. so they are the same barring mounting point.

I do wonder how the AB would handle the change to smaller piston calipers like the GPrs that i have on my zx10r..

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,099 Posts
Seems like 19 for the 19 is the clear choice! Thanks for the input. Im changing lines for sure, so it would almost be wasteful not to swap out MC right away.
Yes, and for the Super I run an SBK Nissin master with nickel Brembo GP4RX calipers with Ti pistons paired with 6.5mm SBK rotors and the 1 finger stopping power is enough to give you a head rush.

And full disclosure, my street SP2 is running with full floater Brembo HD 5.5mm thick rotors vs the OEM semi-floaters with 4.5mm thick rotors.

Apart from that I am just a weekend hack that couldn't tell one end of a throttle from a broom handle so there's that as well.

May I ask what pads you are running for your bike for street use?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the Honda pads so far. Tried galfers on the 15 and didnt notice the plate warping to create drag(probably not getting hot enough in my case) but didnt like the feel compared to the honda pad.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,099 Posts
@CaptainCannon go with the RCS17 for stock calipers (M50). The RCS19 has less feel meaning it is more like a light switch or binary in feel. As an owner of both, having a little more progression in the lever is key in trail braking especially on a race track.
The SP stock calipers are not M50 on the 1krr. M50 are 4x30mm and the SP comes with M4 calipers that are 4x34mm. For the M50 I agree you need 17mm and 19mm MC would feel wooden.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have this part figured out but now I realized what a pain the lines are for ABSBS. I looked at coremoto and they dont even have lines for ABSBS. Do I have to skip the lines then? I can feel a bit of fade when brakes are really getting a workout but its predictable and they rarely get that level of action to even feel it during my escapades.

I can hardly live without red braided lines and more importantly gold plated banjos!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
So I have this part figured out but now I realized what a pain the lines are for ABSBS. I looked at coremoto and they dont even have lines for ABSBS. Do I have to skip the lines then? I can feel a bit of fade when brakes are really getting a workout but its predictable and they rarely get that level of action to even feel it during my escapades.

I can hardly live without red braided lines and more importantly gold plated banjos!!
The lines aren’t that bad. I was hoping coremoto was gonna eventually add an ABS kit too. I even reached out a couple yrs ago and they made it sound like they were working on it, but since they never did, I went with Galfer’s kit for my ‘17 SP:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts