Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So super newbie to the forum here and searching for anyone’s feedback that has already done what I'm considering doing.

So I have the 2019 blade SC-77 SP1 edition, she is running on the 190/50's as per coming out of the showroom.

Currently on Metzeler Ractek RR, although will be heading back to the supercorsa V3's.
Most of my miles lately have been track miles and as such I'm super interested in the thoughts of going to a 55 profile.

So I'd love to hear feedback on that switch. I'm also looking to hear primarily from people on the identical bike who have made the switch to find out how that felt and what other changes I need to consider. Since its a taller profile I want to know how much of this was impacted if at all i.e., suspension, ABS sensor, traction control etc. I've not made any hard changes to the ECU or ABS pump all that jazz is still stock.

Many thanks inadvance to constructive feedback.

·
Registered
SC77 SP1
29 Posts
MrDubman-

On the track, switching up to a 190/55 rear improves turn-in, plants the bike mid-corner and offers more rubber driving out. I use Battlax V01/V02 which is a 650 tire (just under 55 in my estimation) and the bikes rails better than on 190/50. Lots of tire choices…

There are oodles of posts on potential SC77 aid gremlins when changing from stock tire and/ or sprocket size, such as with the down blipper, without a specifically reflashed ECU; however, I have not had issues with my (power-upped only) stock ECU.

Try it out, as you will be the best and final judge. Let us know what you find!

- Russell H. Davies

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heya MrDub,

I changed to a 190/55 and its miles better. Your speed overall increases, since you have to lean a little less and also the points mentioned above. I have a 2019 blade non sp, non abs and no changes were necessary to accommodate the tire difference.

·
Registered
2017 CBR1000RA
72 Posts
Heya MrDub,

I changed to a 190/55 and its miles better. Your speed overall increases, since you have to lean a little less and also the points mentioned above. I have a 2019 blade non sp, non abs and no changes were necessary to accommodate the tire difference.
Did you have any issues with tire clearance?

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
327 Posts
I also have the 17 SP and have been running the Super Corsa, love them, but they don't sell the 50 series anymore, the V3 only comes in the 55 so that's what I will mount next. It changes the gearing about 2% so PROBABLY not enough to bother the ECU but I am going up one tooth on the rear to 44 to compensate, probably not necessary but I don't need the gearing to be any taller.:)

·
Registered
SC77 SP1
29 Posts
John Harris-

In case you are not already well-versed on SC77 ECU issues related to tire/ sprocket changes, please check the many threads on this. My 650 V01/V02 is slightly smaller than a 55 and I have no gearing or ECU issues. I decided to stay stock except for rear tire change and full power reflash (I had no choice with VIN ####010 - HRC reflash would not work). SC77s with higher VINs may not have the same issue as mine, but still may not like sprocket change.

- Russell H. Davies

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
327 Posts
I am very familiar with the threads on the SC77 ECU and changes to tires or gearing. But there isn't any real info on the ECU programming to read, Honda and Woolrich aren't talking details, to see how much leeway there is in the code before it reacts to changes. That's why I say a 2% change is probably within the computer code adjustability. You say your 650 vV01/V02 is slightly smaller than a 55 so it is closer to stock in size so you shouldn't have any issue. Going up to a 55 from a 50 is a 2% gearing change increase and adding one tooth to the rear is a 2% gear reduction change so they SHOULD cancel out the changes. Of course, this is just math so we will have to see when I implement. Experience is a great source of information.

I bought the Woolrich software and also did the full power reflash, along with removing the intake sound blockers. Power is better in the upper rpms.
I will change tires and gearing when my new BST wheels finally arrive then I will see/feel for the differences.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
327 Posts
Changing a tire size is no different from gearing/sproket changes, both will change your final drive ratio. Too much of a change of either will bring the ECU nannies out to play. The real question is, how much is too much change?

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
327 Posts
So I have been running the 190/55 tire and 16/44 gearing on my bike for a while now and there are no ECU issues. The speedometer read a mile of two slower but not a big deal. I can't say if the bigger tire affected the handling as the new BST rims make a very big difference and the larger sprocket moved the tire forward in the swing arm slightly. But I can say that with all the changes combined the bike handles MUCH better. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts