Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out riding all day and one of the guys I know comes up to me and say's "Hey, which model did you get?". I'm like :wtf: because he's usually pretty knowledgable. I guess he saw somewhere online, and in the new Sportrider that Honda had an early model, and then the one most of us probably have. I guess they changed some kind of electronic part after the first batch were made, to a more reliable one, but in doing so lost like 10HP. I guess Sportrider verified it with 3 different bikes. This is all second hand so don't take it for gospel.

I havn't looked anything up on it yet, and I'm headed back out. Maybe I'll pick up the new mag tomorrow. If someone's got it, post up and let us know what's going on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
haven't read the article, and i can't imagine the loss of 10hp, but they obviously had earlier models (whether there were any changes, who knows). they had all 3 north american market colours at the bike show here in december, and in february had a all black one on display at a dealer. but apparently (according to a british bike mag...'bike', maybe?) production didn't start until january...go figure.... it was mentioned because they were bragging about it benefitting from motogp development right until the last minute...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the June (how time flies, seems like taxes were due just yesterday...They were due yesterday!:scratch:) 2004 issue of Sportrider.
Looked through everything that could possibly be about the RR, and nothing about any electronics switch-out or loss of HP.
Its the literbike showdown and I can see why people complain about Sportrider being biased anti-Honda. Comments on the 1000RR dont jive with my experience or others I've heard. hmmmm....

·
Registered
202 Posts
mrb said:
They have always been biased against Hondas.
according to this month's motorcyclist mag,liter bike hp , dragstrip shootout, the honda was way down on power, also top end, 1/4 mile, etc. but all through the article they keep mentioning that the bike they tested, was not even close to the one they tested previously on the first ride preview, wierd? maybe there are 2 differrent bikes, enquirering minds want to know? :? hehe

·
Registered
128 Posts
The bike Motorcyclist tested was down 5hp than the one they originally tested. I highly doubt there are two models. Preproduction maybe. And a 10HP loss? Nope. This bike has more than enough HP no matter what, and my previous bike was a ZX-12. Ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yama1yzf said:
The bike Motorcyclist tested was down 5hp than the one they originally tested. I highly doubt there are two models. Preproduction maybe. And a 10HP loss? Nope. This bike has more than enough HP no matter what, and my previous bike was a ZX-12. Ride it and enjoy it.
Well, I'm glad you filled me in. :roll:

·
Registered
738 Posts
mrb said:
They have always been biased against Hondas.
I have to agree with you there....for years, they always have something to say that degrades every Honda machine they test. After personally riding the other makes that they compare to, I don't see where they're coming from?? The European mags are DEFINITELY better....tell you just how it is!!! (Even have some pretty cool posters in them...lol!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I spoke to a dealer who said that he ordered 18 "pre-release" models and that he expected delivery by the end of April. What's that all about? How many 1000rr's is Honda going to produce total this year? How about pre-release?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmmm...Always thought that pre-release meant that they werent going to be released, kinda like a prototype. I think that dealer is blowing some smoke around.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Pre-release bikes are not allowed to be sold - federal law. Manufacturers are allowed to bring in a certain amount of vehicles without registering them, for the purpose of crash testing, press releases, etc. When finished, they cannot be sold. Some are demolished, some are sent to tech schools to be tore apart.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
i did read about the motrcyclist one that was 5-7 hp down on the first one they tested

As with all produced items there are going to be variances in the item produced...but 5-7 hp?

well i'm gonna wait and see how this pans out

i got tottally burnt on my 929

i bought the first one in my state...paid full retail...got shafted

·
Registered
94 Posts
B.S. I sell honda's for a living. Although I can believe that there could be 5hp. difference. That's really not too uncommon. Conditions, Fuels, tire brands, (traction) on the dyno's all contribute.(etc etc)

Oh yea I called tech line yesterday and The guy told me that only the Cali. models have the cat conv, in the exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.