Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '05 with 14k miles & I'm getting ready to start doing some track days in May. If all goes well, I'm also seriously considering racing in AFM next season. I've taken good care of the bike & changed the oil every 1500 - 2000 miles, using Repsol synthetic blend.

The only problem I've had with the bike is the Cam Chain Tensioner went out in January, but I had that fixed. My 520 chain & sprockets are on the way & that will be done next weekend.

I'm in the process of converting this bike into a Track / Race bike, but I have some concerns with the mileage. So before I throw $1k into this project, I'm curious to read you guys' opinions on how much this engine can take.

I would say I ride at a moderate pace & don't stunt at all. I've had the bike since January of '06, so the mileage ran up quickly.

Can this engine take a full season of track days this year & 2 - 3 seasons of racing?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Racing

Got an idea for you, I have a 2004 with 2300 miles on it, I made it into a track bike after 1800 miles and just haven,t riden it as i hoped. Sell yours buy mine and you pick at a fresh motor, full ohlins rear with HRC link, 520 conversion, front forks by Lindemans with ohlins internals, PCBIII and lots of extras. Let me know, Reidy

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the experienced racers are here...I could really use the input.

·
THE DOCTOR
1,879 Posts
As long as you maintain it as you race, you should have no problems at all. I think you are changing your oil way too frequently for street riding but thats up to you. These engines are really strong, heres a little quote of what aprilia thinks of the CBR engine.

50.000 kilometres is always our test as very few motorcycles actually do so many miles. But we once tried a Honda CBR1000RR engine on our bench and it never died! It was impossible to seize that engine under normal service circumstances. As an engineer I was impressed and I respect what the Japanese do.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
As long as you maintain it as you race, you should have no problems at all. I think you are changing your oil way too frequently for street riding but thats up to you. These engines are really strong, heres a little quote of what aprilia thinks of the CBR engine.
Wish that was the case of all CBR Engines but mine packed it up with a blown main crank bearing at 46,000 kms. $10k for rebuild or $4.5k for a 2nd hand replacement with low millage on it.

Needless to say, touch wood, the replacement engine has been putting along very well. As for Aprilia - if that's their attitude to engine life then I'm never considering one of their bikes for purchase.

·
Tony's a Bitch
982 Posts
10K for a new engine???? 10K who's money Yen? Rubles?

If anybody wanted 10K American for a Rebuild they're on drugs.

You can grab a low miles Race built motor for about $2000 or a stock one with low miles on ebay for $1000.

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
I've only done a few track days on my bike so far but my 04's engine has 38,000 miles on it now. It runs just as well now as when I bought it, and I'm fucking horrible with oil changes... I think its been 3 track days and 10k miles since my last one. If mine can stand up under that kind of abuse then yours will be fine.

And yes, I do plan on changing my oil this weekend, I'm not that cruel to my bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts