Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Got a basket case recently and have been putting it back together over the past year or so.

Finally plugged the bike in after putting the wiring harness back in bike. Turned switch on, nothing...No sound. No dash. Nothing. I didn't try starting bike because I thought maybe I had connected something wrong. Disconnected bike.

Ok, so, here's a list of things that have been done to bike...
-Woodcraft keyswitch elim
-Front and Rear brake light switches removed and the wires have been removed either to the Ecu or a junction where I found they were paired with another wire that I immediately recognized had another function not related to the lights, or had some sort of function running engine or providing a wire to a series.
-Evap canister removed and sensor/solenoid was traced back through the harness and wires snipped.
-PAIR system removed, same thing with wires
-Exhaust servo removed, same thing as above.
-Flapper mod done and vacuum plugged at throttle body
-Prior owner had spliced in several lines for various running lights, those were all removed as well as all other lights and wires connecting to them.
-Clutch switch removed and lines gone.
-Kickstand and lines gone.
-Steering damper and wires gone.

Today I went through and tested continuity for various places over the bike.
Things I ruled out were there are no blown fuses. And I'm getting continuity at various points all over the bike from my random testing. I also tested several things with the ignition switch on and off, so that's working. Tested continuity on the woodcraft key elim and tested the starter button, that works.

So I reconnected battery thinking that maybe I just had a bad connect earlier and/or bad luck. Still nothing. Battery is charged. Still no dash, fuel pump isn't connected so no prime to hear. Started measuring voltage at random plugs where I could easily access (no tank is on the bike and it's just the wiring harness draped over and connected to the various sensors on the bike. So it's pretty easy for me to get to just about everything. I've got voltage at one or two points on the plug going into the display, but nothing. Even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the back of the display in hopes of a bad connection...Nope.

Then, I decided to roll the dice and I pressed the starter button... this is when things got interesting... The solenoid by the battery clicked, the battery charger that was attached to the battery also recognized the current draw, but the starter didn't even try to turn. It was literally just the solenoid that just clicked.
I know that there could be something wrong with the battery not having enough amps to turn the starter, but at least the dash should come on...

What do I do next?

I also need a better wiring diagram to look at. The one I've been using I've included below but not all the wires are correct.

Also haven't been able to find a 2004-2005 or a 2006-2007 service manual that I can actually download. I've done a few quick searches and tried the ones I've found on this forum but they repeatedly failed to download. If someone has another source, please let me know.

Thanks !

·
Registered
59 Posts
When u disconnected the steering dampener did u make sure you pulled the correct wire (pin) out of the main harness as the bike wont turn on if it's not hooked up . Safety feature. Part of ECU start up. U cant just cut that wire out either. U have too pull the pin out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also dont get 04 05 manual. 06 and 07 are the same generations. 04 05 are similar but the wiring routing and locations are different on those generations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When u disconnected the steering dampener did u make sure you pulled the correct wire (pin) out of the main harness as the bike wont turn on if it's not hooked up . Safety feature. Part of ECU start up. U cant just cut that wire out either. U have too pull the pin out.
what color is the wire that needs to be pulled? And is it just one wire going into the ECU and other is ground?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also dont get 04 05 manual. 06 and 07 are the same generations. 04 05 are similar but the wiring routing and locations are different on those generations.
do you have a source for the 06-07 manual?

I actually used the o4-05 manual and I’ve done enough trouble shooting at his point that I’ve got power to the dash, pretty much everything is ready for me to start the bike at this point. But I would still like to get the correct manual because I’m getting the 51 and 34 code and need to know what wires to place resistor on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Code 51 is the HESD ( steering stabilzer ).
Code 34 is the NUETRAL SWITCH .

Do u have the flapper mod delete done on ur bike. It would explain ur issues. It keeps the air box flap wide open and improves low end power. Code 34 is common code when the flapper mod was done wrong and someone pulled or cut the wrong wire.
The best way to do the mod is too plug the vacuum line leading to the flapper . I bet they cut wires and the wires then get wet and short random things on the bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ic you have the flapper mod done correctly . I think everything is leading back to the steering stabilzer that got deleted. Put it back in and see if that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts