Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is THE thread. I'm looking for every person who owns a 2008 CBR1000RR and has an issue with the bike burning oil.

If YOU own a 2008 CBR1000RR and it burns oil please post up telling me:
1. the last 6 of your vin#
2. what symptoms you've seen
3. How you check your oil
4. mods on bike
5. what dealer interaction you've had on this issue.

I'm gong to ask that any posts not directly related with all of the pertainent info be deleted (not sure if I can do it here or not). I'm also going to ask that "I know a guy" post be deleted. If you know someone with this issue please ask them to register and post or PM me with their name and whole VIN and I'll verify.

Any VIN #'s I compile here WILL NOT be reported to Honda without request of owner. I'm only doing this to see if we can put a finger on the problem (if one exists). I may request VIN information to check warranty status or see if Honda is aware of issues with this bike, I will not be submitting any information to them, I will be doing "Unit status checks" only through the Honda interactive network.

Thanks guys.
Cory

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. vin# JH2SC59A98M010420 motor no: SC59E-2008945

2. burned 600grams of oil at 700km (three times)

3. Check the oil with stick then have it emptied, weighed and registered at Honda dealer.

4. Arrow slipon, flapper mod.

5. Dealer says: They are aware of the problem, I've got a call from local Honda factory telling me to wait untill they come out with a solution.(1.5months ago). And they keep changing my oil for free.

6. Location : Turkey

·
TEAM GAAAD!!!
2,087 Posts

I have noticed an oil burning smell kinda like when you do an oil change and oil gets on the headers.. well this has been ongoing. i checked the oil level before going on VACA...it was full ...did an oil change. before that the dipstick was dry.. im hoping that its not doing this but, the smell tells me otherwise.. its been like that since the beginning. my friend said that at one time he saw a puff of smoke coming from the rear(during break in).. that got me worried especially after reading that sportriders mag test stated the same thing. rode about 700 miles after oil change...will check and post later..until then...:popcorn2:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have noticed an oil burning smell kinda like when you do an oil change and oil gets on the headers.. well this has been ongoing. i checked the oil level before going on VACA...it was full ...did an oil change. before that the dipstick was dry.. im hoping that its not doing this but, the smell tells me otherwise.. its been like that since the beginning. my friend said that at one time he saw a puff of smoke coming from the rear(during break in).. that got me worried especially after reading that sportriders mag test stated the same thing. rode about 700 miles after oil change...will check and post later..until then...:popcorn2:
Where are you from? Please make sure when you check your oil the bike is completely level for future referance. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
466 Posts
VIN# 001161
Visible sings have been an occasional puff of smoke and blacking around exhaust tip
Burned a little under a quart of oil over 1600 miles
checked oil with the bike level
Only mod is an after market slip on exhaust
Dealer suggested that the oil be changed to 20/50

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. VIN# 005917
2. Exhaust tip black
Burns +1 liter in 3000km, more if I do track days(0.5l for the day)
3. Check oil with bike level as per manual
4. Slip on exhaust, Race air filter, flapper mod
5. I have been reporting it to my local dealer every month, Honda South Africa have not replied yet, its been 6 months and reported it again today. Yakineko you are lucky honda is paying your oil bill.
6. From sunny South Africa

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. VIN# 005917
2. Exhaust tip black
Burns +1 liter in 3000km, more if I do track days(0.5l for the day)
3. Check oil with bike level as per manual
4. Slip on exhaust, Race air filter, flapper mod
5. I have been reporting it to my local dealer every month, Honda South Africa have not replied yet, its been 6 months and reported it again today. Yakineko you are lucky honda is paying your oil bill.
6. From sunny South Africa
well, it gives me a nice hand when i sue them next month.

·
TEAM GAAAD!!!
2,087 Posts
Where are you from? Please make sure when you check your oil the bike is completely level for future referance. thanks for the post.

northern N.J... and yeah i added 8oz. last nite to top off. will cheack it again in a few minutes for the level, im going on a nice run. and i do have a lot of black around the exhaust tip just like someone else on here stated....will update tonight...

·
Registered
273 Posts
There's the 2 that diel knows about and the 2 that I have seen first hand, of course they dont count because we don't have vins...........

what a joke.

dt

·
TEAM GAAAD!!!
2,087 Posts
ok.. checked it after a 350 miles run(hard).changed the oil(semi syn 10w40) at 2400 miles and after 2 long riding days im at 3400miles +. there was no oil loss.. but my friend kept saying he saw smoke when i was accelerating..so now im worried. dont know if thats normal? running rich.. does anyone elses exhaust do this? and does anyone have that black around the exhaust tip?? i never had a stock exhaust w/ so much black on the tip..i heard on here that hondas run rich..is this true..WTF????:shrug:

ps. how many quarts of oil does the 08 take?? someone said 3.2 quarts???does anyone know an exact #? and what theyre putting in exactly... thanks..

thats sportrider review where the 08 was puffing smoke is in the back of my mind..ffaaacckk!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's the 2 that diel knows about and the 2 that I have seen first hand, of course they dont count because we don't have vins...........

what a joke.

dt
This is a raw data thread. If you post without a VIN the bike may have been represented already.
I'm going to have Jim clean this thread yet again. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
no visable symptoms
oil checked when cold and has been sitting for at least a few hours, usually overnight
mods in sig
no dealer interaction

i've used just a tad under .5 quarts in 3k miles. that's with a full track day and a lot of really hard weekend rides. i don't think it's that bad. my '06 would use about the same over 3-4k miles.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts