Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a a simple problem but for the life of me I cannot remember what is what. Im trouble shooting a 08 fireblade with an 09 engine swap, and when we go to press the starter button the bike shuts off, and when the starter button is released the bike resets, with the fuel pump priming and the tach sweep. We put a multimeter to the battery cables (the bike's battery was taking out of the equation and we hooked up jumper cables to my truck battery) pressed the starter button again and the voltage dropped down from 12.8 to about 4 then back up to 12+. I was leaning towards the starter relay, but when we swapped it with a good one it did the same thing. Is this leading to a ground wire that did not get hooked up right or am I looking at the starter motor? I was not the one that swapped the motor, so i am coming into this after that maintenance had been done. I just know there is a concrete answer for when the voltage drops like that i just can't recall it. any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting the bike tomorrow to take off the fairings and start chasing wires

cheers!!

·
Classifieds Moderator
638 Posts
It sounds as if the +12v from the starter relay to the starter is hooked up to ground instead so when you push the start button the battery gets shorted out and the bike resets. It doesn't help that Honda made both wires black at the starter.

Also, it could be that the starter is frozen because when a motor like that is locked up it's basically a short circuit. I would start by checking the connections to the starter. Remove the +12v at the starter and check that it reads +12v when the start button is pressed.

Then I would remove the starter and see if it spins when you push the start button. Unlikely but remove the timing hole cover and turn the crank make sure it's not locked up since new engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG 🙌🙌thank you so much for the starting point🤜🤛. ill post an update tomorrow when i get the bike.. i knew it was something simple to look at, i drew a major brain fart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts