Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
My '09 has 3,100 miles on it, including 130 track miles. It seemed to burn a little oil earlier, but the last 1,100 miles it hasn't burned a drop.

Oil was changed at about 50 miles, then at 700 miles.

Break-in was on the dyno and oil is regular Pro-Honda GN4 10W-40, not synthetic. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Mfg date 12/08, last 4 digits of VIN: 0120.

·
'08 1000RR Black & Yellow
533 Posts
LOL - I was wondering how long before someone brought this up....

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
So that's why no window!
I preferred the window myself too,but found it hard to balance and see.
2009 Repsol,changed to GN-4 @ 600 mi.,now 1600 mi. & no oil usage!
Asked Mechanic what that was all about and his opinion was breaking in with synthetic didn't allow rings to seal.(Still reading 2009 CBR1000RR official oil burning thread to find out anything conclusive)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funny that last comment about synthetic oil not allowing the rings to seal. I have some 14,000 k on my 08 and honda Australia have put Honda mineral back in it to test the oil burning over 1000k. Mechanic said the same thing

·
Registered
550 Posts
Asked Mechanic what that was all about and his opinion was breaking in with synthetic didn't allow rings to seal.(Still reading 2009 CBR1000RR official oil burning thread to find out anything conclusive)
Total bullshit & an 'old-wives' tale.

It is amazing to me that the majority of 'mechanics' at Honda dealerships are so utterly ignorant regarding the engines & technologies they are supporting. Definitely want these guys rebuilding the engine on my second burner. :th_SmlyROFL:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Back to following 2008 official oil burning thread!
Manager said ring replacement necessary on 2008,with by the book maintenance.Defective ring design!

Sounds like my mechanics opinion and the facts differ:time to remove foot from mouth and stop passing on expert opinions(My mechanic put on a new right plastic due to large paint chips,thanx to Honda and adjusted fit to like new today! I still think he's the best and deserves his opinion) .

(Interesting because everyone from my salesperson to the accessories people were asking me if I was running synthetic(full)a month ago and mechanics made a point of no oil burning issue with my bike!)

2009 Repsol w/3600 miles is down half a quart due to second gear scream from Pasadena to Newcombs Ranch and back.

I'd really like to know for sure because the 2008's are collecting in the showroom at great prices!

Let's see,clutch recall,defective rings and what else?(cheap track bike,cheap track bike,cheap track bike!)

·
Murdered out 2009 1KRR
411 Posts
Hahaha whew thank God I didn't make the same exact thread... I just picked up an 09 earlier this week(Monday?) and alway's wondered the same thing. Cause I was aware that the 08's had some issues but hoped that Honda corrected their mistakes on the 09's so we'll see. So far this week I was able to rack up 95 miles today and babied the shit outta it and kept the rpm's below 4-5k and only gave it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

·
08 Aprilia Tuono Owner
550 Posts
had my 6000 mile service on the 09 done today which included the bikes 5th oil change. we actually measured the oil that came out of the bike (I have never checked it) and it has used exactly zero since the last change 3000 miles ago

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Funny that last comment about synthetic oil not allowing the rings to seal. I have some 14,000 k on my 08 and honda Australia have put Honda mineral back in it to test the oil burning over 1000k. Mechanic said the same thing
complete bullshit. defect causes oil burning. nothing to do will oil or how you break it in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.