Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It's a small bike, you feel like you are perched on top of it. Great for the track, bad for the road unless you are sub six footer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the R version which is the cheaper of the two at $15999.00. The factory with the ohlins suspension is another 5k more.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I test rode the RSV4R last week at one of the local shops, they had a white one with a leo vince slip on as a demo bike. Needless to say, it doesnt look comfortable but once youre on it and moving it disappears under you. The seat is actually cushy, the ergos are better than the 08-09 cbr1000rr, theres very little vibration, and the stock screen doesnt do too bad at keeping wind buffeting low. The thing that surprised me about the bike is how it feels smaller than my 09 Repsol, its easier to tuck in behind the screen, and moving around on the bike is very easy thanks to how slim it is.

Anyways, this is my next bike, it makes the cbr feel like a toy in comparison, the build quality is phenomenal (even on the cheaper "R" version). The power is very streetable, its a pussycat in the lower revs while you want to be civil, but when you want to really let her scream the trip from 9500 rpm to redline will scare the piss out of you the first few times, its like a completely different bike up there. Last but not least is the sounds this bike makes, its unmistakeable, you "will" swear youre riding some motogp bike, its very intoxicating.

As i am not a skilled track star I couldnt tell you much about how it handles at the edge of control, so there my one caveat.

·
ex #88# SS600GR
263 Posts
I had the chance to test ride one of the first RSV Factory that came to Greece, 4 months ago. That was for a test for a motorcycle magazine here.
I was not so impressed by its track performance. The bike is very fast to flick, but the ohlins suspension it comes with doesn't stand for its name. The rear has too much compression, even in the softest setting, and the front lacks rebound compression. The bike seems to stand high at the rear also, and it is easy to make the rear tire spin. Motor sounds and puls great, but it must have a little less top end than a GSXR 1000K9 we had the same day with us.
Brakes perform very well also. I think if you buy it for track/race use you should have someone overhaul the suspension and probably buy the ohlins superbike internals for the front.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Ohlins parts it comes with are not comparable to Ohlins TTX or the 25mm cartridges which is kinda bleh when you consider how much more the Factory is over the R. The Ohlins steering damper is however the real deal, and you get lighter forged aluminum rims, magnesium case covers, and extra carbon fiber bits. Not to mention the ridiculous adjustability of the Factory (engine position, steering head, etc.).

I would personally opt for the Factory because of the little things, the R's are sweet and more than capable of anything I could throw at them, but in the end its always a case of what I want more than what i need!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The primary reason why the Factory is the one to get is the variable length intake trumpets...
From what these guys are saying, the Ohlins that come with it aren't worth the extra cheddar. The base model + mods is the way to go, much like the 1198.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts