Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
The heavier flywheel and "increased performance" is sorta an oxymoron.

Heavier flywheel all else being the same means slower revving, so I'm not sure what they mean. A heavier flywheel means it will idle smoother and be easier to launch, but it is more weight for the pistons to accelerate when revving so I'm not sure how this will result in "increased performance."

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Something that should have been done in the first place. If Yamaha offered this on their R1 & R6, what took Honda so long? :WTF::th_down:
Agree, now they just need to make the rear passenger pegs bolt directly underneath the subframe, so they can be unbolted in minutes, with no visible parts left on the bike... like Suzuki does.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I still find it interesting; when they detune a race engine for "other purposes", and make it "less racy" ie. turning an R1 into an FZ1 for example, they usually put a heavier flywheel on it, which "tames" it.

I've never seen a heavier flywheel described as "increased performance" before, but hey, we'll see.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I still find it interesting; when they detune a race engine for "other purposes", and make it "less racy" ie. turning an R1 into an FZ1 for example, they usually put a heavier flywheel on it, which "tames" it.

I've never seen a heavier flywheel described as "increased performance" before, but hey, we'll see.
My tuner has built race engines that have slightly heavier flywheels than stock and every rider has come back stating that their lap times on the larger tracks had actually dropped.

·
Maniaco
197 Posts
Since I'm not really into cutting and installing an FE, I was wondering if the new supposedly removable 2010 piece will fit the 08?

It looks like it's only 50 bucks for the current rear tail light piece. If the new piece bolts on and the wiring connectors are the same I would be interested in buying the upgraded version when available....To have that OEM FE would be nice and worth it to me...........

Any news on that would be nice............:thumbsup:

Happy Holidays All...........

·
Huge Member
3,549 Posts

well thats because like spring rates, rake angles, and almost everything else in the racing world... there isnt a set number thats ideal. flywheels do serve a function, and they can be tuned. less isnt always better.. just like more rear ride height, steering rake, grabbier brakes, etc...

for a common extreme example, ask anyone running a CR500 on a enduro... the lightweight MX flywheel makes it not just harder, but almost impossible to get the same tractibility you get with just a little more flywheel.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
well thats because like spring rates, rake angles, and almost everything else in the racing world... there isnt a set number thats ideal. flywheels do serve a function, and they can be tuned. less isnt always better.. just like more rear ride height, steering rake, grabbier brakes, etc...

for a common extreme example, ask anyone running a CR500 on a enduro... the lightweight MX flywheel makes it not just harder, but almost impossible to get the same tractibility you get with just a little more flywheel.
Well stated. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Ok, this means my '08's flywheel is defective, and too light. I want an '10 crate engine. I'll call the dealer tomorrow...

I understand what y'all are saying. I bet the thing is like 5 grams heavier or something, lol. Enough so they can advertise a change for '10.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Flywheel weights affect engine braking feel as well, due to more inertia, there was an old sport rider test comparing engine braking feel/distance with crank/flywheel weights. The buell and old two strokes had the least engine braking, with heaviest flywheel/crank weights.

·
Huge Member
3,549 Posts
Flywheel weights affect engine braking feel as well, due to more inertia, there was an old sport rider test comparing engine braking feel/distance with crank/flywheel weights. The buell and old two strokes had the least engine braking, with heaviest flywheel/crank weights.
the 2 strokes are going to have the least engine braking anyway......

·
medic7984
124 Posts
Finally got one of these on the floor today. Looks alot better in person.
I actually really like that alot! Maybe I just have a thing for orange now after having the Repsol :) It would look sick with a set of silver Marchesinis!

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I like them, I bet they look hot in person.

Then again, I've always thought the '08+ bikes looked awesome, so I guess my tastes are wonky, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I like them, I bet they look hot in person.

Then again, I've always thought the '08+ bikes looked awesome, so I guess my tastes are wonky, lol.
I've liked the look of the 08+ CBR1000RR's since the first pic I saw of one. I just wish they had at least one more color option for 2010. The orange/silver really does look good in person. :cool:

61 - 80 of 87 Posts