Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting the itch to try a new sport bike, and I’ve never owned a Honda sportbike. I’m definitely liking what I’m reading/seeing on the net regarding the 2012 CBR 1000rr model. But then, I started seeing reports of an “oil burning” issue pop up on the net, and on the different CBR forums. Supposedly this was just isolated to the 08 (and some 09) models, and was “officially fixed” with piston ring replacement. However, there are also reports of the issue occurring even after ring replacement as well as on some ’10 and ’11 models. Now granted you can’t believe everything you read on the net, but all of this definitely is a bit discouraging in regards to purchasing a ‘12 CBR sportbike (which reportedly has no engine changes from the previous model). I even noticed the class action lawsuit about this issue, damn. I would imagine some of you CBR owners are tired of seeing/reading about this “issue”, about as much as the FZ1 owner’s forum got tired of posting about the “throttle snatch” issue.

So what’s the real deal? Should I be concerned? Any of you 2012 owners noticed any oil consumption? How about you 2011 owners? I’ve owned a 6R, 10R, busa, and now own a ’09 FZ1. None of these bikes ever used oil or even showed oil level movement in between oil changes, so I’m just concerned about giving team red a try….

Thanks,
D

·
12 RED 1000RR "GINGER"
784 Posts
im just shy of 1000 miles on mine and no issues

·
Registered
593 Posts
There' a ton of threads about this issue on this forum. Just use the search function. As for the 2012 having issue? Haven't heard of any as of yet. During the break in period, just don't baby it and the seals will seal in better. You shouldn't have any problems if you ride it like you stole it. As for myself I was considering buying the new CBR, but if I do I'll certainly buy a warranty for the first time ever. :thumbsup:

·
12 RED 1000RR "GINGER"
784 Posts
hey corsica,does yours seem to take forever to pull to redline in 4th???

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have 1700 on mine and no oil missing. It seems to have a tire eating problem.:joke6cl: I wish that S20 Bridgestone had lasted a little longer. It was gone at 1400.

·
Ex-Everything
6,153 Posts
I really doubt that the 2012 will have this issue. It's been 4 years since they screwed us with the '08. I had one, I have the right to talk all the shit I want to about it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1400 on mine and no oil burning issues.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i just clicked over to 1100 miles and no oil burning here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My 08 did nt start till after 3000 which makes no sense to me but whatever thats when I noticed it just saying.... But I doubt the 12's will burn cause Honda was trying to act like it never happened so that would be damming for Honda..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have 3000 miles on my 12 and no burning. All good :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
3800 on my 2010 and it drinks oil like I drink beer......a lot.
Lol not to sound like a dick but this is talking about 2012s only...the OP wants one but is Leary about it bc he knows 08-10s suck with oil consumption. Well a lot of them at least.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just turned 4000 on the odometer today. Changed the oil when I got home. Did 2000 miles on this fill. There was no drop in oil level that I could notice. Plenty of hard riding was mixed in there too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uh Oh...

~4,500 on mine.

Last oil change was 2,700 miles ago, and I have recently added ~1/4 quart to top it off.

ETA:
I plan on changing oil at 4,000 mi intervals.
So, are you saying it burned 1/4 quart in 2700 miles???? Do you ever notice white smoke with high RPM operation?

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I'm watching this thread like a hawk. ;)

D

1 - 20 of 188 Posts