Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought a 2016 CBR 1000rr SP (Repsol) with zero miles. The bike was sitting on the showroom floor for the last 2 years. It has an 01/16 build date. I got it for $9995 (+ a little more for fees OTD). I think I got a pretty decent deal. I haven't ridden a sportbike since my 748 years ago. I currently ride a 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Previously had a Monster.

This CBR is a hoot ro ride! I'm still breaking it in (now has 175 miles). I've searched through the forum and online a bit, but have a few questions. Hoping you might answer them for me.

I've read the differences between the SP and standard model. Really... the only reason I picked this up is because it is an SP. I wasn't in the market for a new bike, but it seemed like a good deal at $7300 off the original list for a seemingly exclusive bike, so I pulled the trigger.

The idea of it being exclusive, begs my questions:
1. Is the 2016 CBR 1000rr SP (Repsol) a limited production bike?
2. If so, do you know how many were produced and/or imported to the USA?
3. Do the last digits of my VIN 126 have any bearing on which # of a potentially limited series, I own?
4. Or... do I simply have a regular CBR with a fun sticker package?

Please excuse my ignorance. I've been very active on Italian bike forums for the last 15 years. It's been a long time since I've had a Japanese sportbike. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here, as I've done for the Ducati and Aprilia crowd (don't hate). I do all of my own wrenching, and am eager to get into the nitty gritty with this machine.

Thanks in advance.

rule62

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice bike sir!!!, if I’m not mistaken a few hundred production line are hand build by HRC mechanic and depend on the engraved number and initial on the back of the engine your bike could be very well built by Marquez’s mechanic. Let us know if you need help finding the the initial and builder #s

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice bike sir!!!, if I’m not mistaken a few hundred production line are hand build by HRC mechanic and depend on the engraved number and initial on the back of the engine your bike could be very well built by Marquez’s mechanic. Let us know if you need help finding the the initial and builder #s
Thank you for this potentially exciting info. I am a total noob when it comes to this bike. Any help finding these engine numbers and initials would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know anything about the numbers imported, but the SP has a balanced rotating assembly, and the engines are hand assembled. They also have different suspension components from the standard model, and Brembo brakes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still trying to figure out the engine number thing. Any suggestions where they're placed, before I just start taking the fairings off?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello,
I just bought a 2016 CBR 1000rr SP (Repsol) with zero miles. The bike was sitting on the showroom floor for the last 2 years. It has an 01/16 build date. I got it for $9995 (+ a little more for fees OTD). I think I got a pretty decent deal. I haven't ridden a sportbike since my 748 years ago. I currently ride a 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Previously had a Monster.

This CBR is a hoot ro ride! I'm still breaking it in (now has 175 miles). I've searched through the forum and online a bit, but have a few questions. Hoping you might answer them for me.

I've read the differences between the SP and standard model. Really... the only reason I picked this up is because it is an SP. I wasn't in the market for a new bike, but it seemed like a good deal at $7300 off the original list for a seemingly exclusive bike, so I pulled the trigger.

The idea of it being exclusive, begs my questions:
1. Is the 2016 CBR 1000rr SP (Repsol) a limited production bike?
2. If so, do you know how many were produced and/or imported to the USA?
3. Do the last digits of my VIN 126 have any bearing on which # of a potentially limited series, I own?
4. Or... do I simply have a regular CBR with a fun sticker package?

Please excuse my ignorance. I've been very active on Italian bike forums for the last 15 years. It's been a long time since I've had a Japanese sportbike. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here, as I've done for the Ducati and Aprilia crowd (don't hate). I do all of my own wrenching, and am eager to get into the nitty gritty with this machine.

Thanks in advance.

rule62

Well it's definitely a great deal for$7300 off list price, especially for an SP. Having ridden both packages, I'll offer my two cents.

As far as exclusivity, while I'd say it's a little more rare ( due to the fact that they only made them at the tail end of the previous generations production cycle: 2014-2016) I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an "exclusive" package. It just had a shorter run.

The ohlins suspension is definitely better than the standard Showa BPF forks on the non SP model, but if you're not a track day expert, you're hardly going to notice (aside from the SP having a slight firmer ride). TBH I initially only wanted the SP for the better suspension (I own a 2016 regular version btw) but realized that, since most of my riding is on the street (with occasional track days) the Showa suspension is actually the better to have (more comfortable). Make no mistake though; the regular CBR1Krr is a perfectly capable bike in its own right (especially when it's dialed in).

Also, the difference in the subframe is noticeable. You sit more on top of the bike on the SP than you do on the regular. Think Yamaha R1 like, but not as extreme. This makes it better for track days vs the regular as you get a little more leverage for turning in.

We all know the brakes are better so not much to say there.

Overall, you'll love the machine. It's an amazingly balanced bike and definitely more than just a dressed up regular CBR. Not to mention it will pull harder than most other litre bikes in the midrange. My reasons for not going SP was basically mentioned above, but you can't go wrong with one. I never get off of it not smiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of my riding is done on the street. I know this bike is overkill for that application, but I couldn't resist the price on a new bike with no miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All of my riding is done on the street. I know this bike is overkill for that application, but I couldn't resist the price on a new bike with no miles.

Oh no doubt. Definitely a great buy no matter how you swing it. For me, there weren't any available at that price range (could not find anything less than 14k otd). It just wasn't worth the extra money

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been searching and reading a lot more, and now realize how much of a jackass I was for asking about production numbers. All I know is that I've got #0126, and that's cool with me. My apologies for the noob faux pas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome purchase! I have #040. I have a touch over 2K miles on mine now, and absolutely love it! As per a previous post...the mid-range power is amazing, and the balanced engine is almost sewing machine smooth. Getting ready to put a full Akrapovic exhaust on mine and an ECU flash hopefully in the next few months. Congrats!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the research I’ve done...these bikes were limited to 500 units each for years 2014-2016. They are fairly rare though, and some suggest holding on to them as their value will only increase over time; due to being limited production and the last of the non-rider aid models offered in the CBR 1000 line. It’s part of the reason I wanted the 2016 SP...last of a great dying age 👍

·
Registered
100 Posts
According to the research I’ve done...these bikes were limited to 500 units each for years 2014-2016. They are fairly rare though, and some suggest holding on to them as their value will only increase over time; due to being limited production and the last of the non-rider aid models offered in the CBR 1000 line. It’s part of the reason I wanted the 2016 SP...last of a great dying age
I may not have an sp model, but I still love my 2016 matte black metallic. So much so I’m having a hard time deciding if I should pull the trigger on a used 2017 sp2 that’s listed for sale at my local dealership

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I we’re going to purchase another one...that is the bike I would get...the 2017 SP2! They are hard to find as well, and still pricey!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I we’re going to purchase another one...that is the bike I would get...the 2017 SP2! They are hard to find as well, and still pricey!
Oh I want it don’t get me wrong lol

But I just don’t have enough to pay for it cash to still have enough leftover afterwards plus I don’t feel like carrying a monthly payment (Even though I could probably knock it out in 3 years if I really wanted to)...

Just bought a townhouse so trying to recoup from that financial raping lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts