Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

661 - 680 of 708 Posts

·
a d m i n
151,041 Posts
Sure, rub it in our faces. We're still waiting for delivery :)

Congrats, though. How is it?
Aren’t you in Italy? Why not just buy one there and enjoy it now? And then ship it back down the road?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Aren’t you in Italy? Why not just buy one there and enjoy it now? And then ship it back down the road?
Nah. I'm physically in Jordan and however this network is routed occasionally makes me appear in Italy. I typically work/live in Kuwait, but I'm an American...

Never been to Italy. Have only sent bits through it :)

·
a d m i n
151,041 Posts
Nah. I'm physically in Jordan and however this network is routed occasionally makes me appear in Italy. I typically work/live in Kuwait, but I'm an American...

Never been to Italy. Have only sent bits through it :)
How much are they in the Middle East? (grin)

·
Registered
320 Posts
How much are they in the Middle East? (grin)
Haha. No idea and will probably never check. The thought has crossed my mind even before this bike, but...

The roads aren't always in great shape. Poor, cheap materials are frequently used, and once it rains they fall apart. Windshields are replaced almost annually from the cracks and spider webs from rocks. Sand in the road or air isn't uncommon. The only real traffic enforcement is speed cameras -- 140kph when passing them and faster elsewhere. Road rage and terrible drivers are expected. 50C temps are unpleasant. We can't drive motorcycles on base -- likely just to deter people from getting them.

It just isn't worth the risk, as much as I miss riding. Occasionally you'll see a group ride, but most days you only see MX125s and similar being used by underpaid expats to deliver food.

Gas is cheap, about a dollar a gallon, so I was leasing a Toyota Prado for a while. Now I'm paying $600/mo to lease a base model Camry. :sleep:

When I visit home, getting on my motorcycles is a lot more exciting after driving slow vehicles for a long time. I've also learned drivers in the US aren't quite as bad as I thought :)

·
a d m i n
151,041 Posts
So true, living in other countries, has taught me that drivers here in the USA, aren't great, but no where near as bad as other countries, :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure you're stoked to get your RR-R, even if you have to wait a minute before riding it..

·
Registered
320 Posts
So true, living in other countries, has taught me that drivers here in the USA, aren't great, but no where near as bad as other countries, :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure you're stoked to get your RR-R, even if you have to wait a minute before riding it..
Yup! Don't get me wrong, after a week or two back home I'll be complaining about American drivers all over again :lol:

I'm actually planning to buy a SCOOTER to use when I'm in Nepal. Waiting to see what this new Honda 350cc scooter (maxi-scooter) ends up costing. There seems to be a huge tax on "big" bikes there. The CBR600RR would cost the equivalent of $28,000 if I remember right. Since most bikes are 250cc or smaller, I think the maxi-scooter might be in the ridiculous tax bracket. We'll see. The danger there is different. City traffic is too congested and slow to be really dangerous, but riding through the mountain roads will keep you on the edge. Nothing like coming around a blind corner on the side of a cliff with no railings and seeing a huge truck/bus in the middle of the road :)

And yes, I'm stoked for the SP. Haven't been on a motorcycle in over 3 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure, rub it in our faces. We're still waiting for delivery :)

Congrats, though. How is it?
Compared to my previus CBR 1000 2013 power delivery is a mix between 600 cc and 2 stroke but it is very funny to ride also at lower range, I think beacuse riding position is very extreme for a stock bike (if you like it), over 4000 - 4500 rpm it is VERY loud 😍 and over 9000 rpm... I can not explain, you have to feel it.
Gear is very long, too long and it can not be modified a lot without HRC ECU for now.
Downshift without clutch is very accurate.
I bought SP version and the suspension works very well, street or track base setup is good for spirited riding (I'm about 85 kg with suit, helmet, ecc. ecc and I'm not very fast on track).

·
Banned
826 Posts
. . . Gear is very long, too long and it can not be modified a lot without HRC ECU for now. . .
Yes, some reviewers have also commented on the high first gear. For those of us who don't do much city riding it won't be a problem; for others though, it might be a bit annoying trying to get off the mark from traffic lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am lucky enough to live near a mountain pass, which you might consider as Mulholland road, about 55 km of corner it is called "strada della Cisa" here the map. With my old bike I used mostly 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, sametimes 4th. With the RR-R I have to use 1st and 2nd... you can use 3rd but in this case the RPM are too low to have the right acceleration on most corner exit.

·
Banned
826 Posts
Great road to have on your doorstep!!

Yes, I had posted in another thread about the need to ride in 2 gears lower than we are used to on other Fireblades. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm fine with it now.

·
Banned
826 Posts
I hope none of you 2021 purchasers have a problem with Chinese parts. I just picked up an oil filter and washer today.

The high-tech Japanese manufacturing made the washer and the filter was 'relegated' to China.

·
Banned
826 Posts
Also learnt from Honda UK that there is another recall for these bikes, this time for: 'Improper tightening of oil pan bolts.'

Seems there's been some leakage onto rear wheel.:eek: Scheduled check time is 45 mins, BUT if there's a problem (warped pan) there could be a 4-hour job involved cos the headers etc have to come off to replace the pan.

Mine's booked in for next Tuesday. I'll update as required.

661 - 680 of 708 Posts