Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@RC45, I feel your pain - it is also my pain and we all want a great bike from a great manufacturer.....I think Honda just doesn't want to screw with the EPA and FTC, after-all, they fined Harley and Volkswagon for BILLIONS! Companies like Ducati don't seem to care as much, although the are owned by Audi which is owned by Volkswagon....when I bought my Ducati 1299 Superlegera it came with a race exhaust in a box - the one with two pipes that exit under the seat like the World SBK. That race exhaust required the removal of the kickstand rendering the bike "track only" because who would ride a bike on the street without a kickstand??! LOL That was Ducati's solution to getting around the EPA, et al and that 1299 Superleggera is LOUD with the race exhaust!!!!!

Honda takes the most responsible approach and you can't blame then....in this country companies are getting sued left and right for the irresponsible behavior of others, case in point, Johnson & Johnson only manufactured about 5% of the total opioids yet they paid disproportionately higher penalties mostly because they have the deepest pockets.

·
Registered
88 Posts
More like Honda taking the cheapest, easiest way out with spending no money on research to tune exhaust sound and still keep performance numbers. Just slap a basic proven restrictive system on it and cut down power to meet requirements, as opposed spending some $ on research that could keep both.

That is HONDA, sorry to say. By far the cheapest “Peripheral” components I have seen used on bikes, when compared to the competition. That Honda had its 1st ride by wire and IMU CBR in ..... 2017 speaks volumes. They capitalized on cheaper components and paid off technology demanding the same price; when everyone else was inventing, Honda was barely evolving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
More like Honda taking the cheapest, easiest way out with spending no money on research to tune exhaust sound and still keep performance numbers. Just slap a basic proven restrictive system on it and cut down power to meet requirements, as opposed spending some $ on research that could keep both. . .
Huh?

Honda has stuck an Akrapovic on the new RR-R and not a massive titanium box as found on the 2017 - 19 models. Surely money has been spent there?

Further, it's not necessarily a 'proven restrictive system' because the Akrapovic is a preferred option for being 'unrestricted'. Granted, to meet noise standards this Akra will not offer the same performance level as those marketed 'For Race Use Only', but I believe that Honda has sought the best performance option for a bike marketed to street purchasers. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just learnt from my local dealer that some UK Honda mechanics have spent a 3-day training course on the new RR-R at Honda UK (Bracknell). One might assume that Honda mechanics might be biased toward the product, but I was encouraged by the positive reaction and was told: 'You've made a good move with that one.'

·
Hook 'em!
2,492 Posts
Just learnt from my local dealer that some UK Honda mechanics have spent a 3-day training course on the new RR-R at Honda UK (Bracknell). One might assume that Honda mechanics might be biased toward the product, but I was encouraged by the positive reaction and was told: 'You've made a good move with that one.'
This is the ONLY time I wished that I lived in the UK :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Huh?

Honda has stuck an Akrapovic on the new RR-R and not a massive titanium box as found on the 2017 - 19 models. Surely money has been spent there?

Further, it's not necessarily a 'proven restrictive system' because the Akrapovic is a preferred option for being 'unrestricted'. Granted, to meet noise standards this Akra will not offer the same performance level as those marketed 'For Race Use Only', but I believe that Honda has sought the best performance option for a bike marketed to street purchasers. ;)
Good for them, finally. But why should that give them absolution, especially on a bike it’s not even officially available yet, and have the old record forgiven? The only thing I can say is HONDA has a lot more to do besides the new CBR, pending verdict, for decades of being behind everyone else.
And I know most of you guys are sport bike / track fans, but it is the same overpriced HONDA and bottom shelf components on many models. This is my 2nd HONDA, and the only reason was the sale price. Should I buy MSRP, Honda is not a consideration.

·
Hook 'em!
2,492 Posts
Good for them, finally. But why should that give them absolution, especially on a bike it’s not even officially available yet, and have the old record forgiven? The only thing I can say is HONDA has a lot more to do besides the new CBR, pending verdict, for decades of being behind everyone else.
And I know most of you guys are sport bike / track fans, but it is the same overpriced HONDA and bottom shelf components on many models. This is my 2nd HONDA, and the only reason was the sale price. Should I buy MSRP, Honda is not a consideration.
Decades, huh? You realize that it hasn't been decades since the Fireblade took the entire podium at the IOM.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Decades, huh? You realize that it hasn't been decades since the Fireblade took the entire podium at the IOM.
Common man. And HONDA is monopolizing MotoGP. What good does that do for me?
It is funny on one hand to have a million posts by RC45 who to me seems he knows what he is talking about and the pain in the ass a platform it is, and then people peeing their pants about a paper speced bike that even the papers say it will be nurfed. Whatever. From my consumer point of view and no SP buyer, it seems I can’t even put 200/55 sized tires. This is what is tangible and counting for me. I can’t imagine the hell track addicts go with SP models just reading about all the issues, but a release from HONDA about the RRR makes everyone drool.

·
Hook 'em!
2,492 Posts
It is funny on one hand to have a million posts by RC45 who to me seems he knows what he is talking about and the pain in the ass a platform it is, and then people peeing their pants about a paper speced bike that even the papers say it will be nurfed. Whatever. From my consumer point of view and no SP buyer, it seems I can’t even put 200/55 sized tires. This is what is tangible and counting for me. I can’t imagine the hell track addicts go with SP models just reading about all the issues, but a release from HONDA about the RRR makes everyone drool.
http://instagr.am/p/B8hQuSOn8SM/
204.8Hp on the rear wheel
215.22Hp on the clutch
218Hp on the crankshaft

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good for them, finally. But why should that give them absolution, especially on a bike it’s not even officially available yet . . .
. . . Should I buy MSRP, Honda is not a consideration.
Certainly 'officially' available in UK. I have had substantial deposit down since 19th November, with delivery promised by both dealer and Honda UK for early April. Pillion cowl ordered last week available for collection on March 20th. As already posted, Honda mechanics have already received 3-day briefing on the bike.

Buying a bike is often a 'horses for courses' consideration. Some of us will not use price as the buying criteria, but favour the emotional enjoyment of the bike and brand ahead of all else. Certainly accept your point that that enthusiasts like @RC45 and colleagues have clearly been shafted by Honda USA. I too, have had my own issues with Honda and the non-adaptability of the 2019 ECU (updated over 2017 - 18) being backward compatible to the early bikes. To me that is a major flaw by depriving those who spent big on the 2017 - 18s the opportunity to improve their bikes with Honda's updated technology.

But back to price. I was seriously considering Yamaha's R1M if the 2020 Blade would have been just another couple of stripes on the tank and fairing. On seeing the bike at our November show I was hooked. No paper specs for me; I appreciate the bike for what it is and what it offers. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Certainly 'officially' available in UK. I have had substantial deposit down since 19th November, with delivery promised by both dealer and Honda UK for early April. Pillion cowl ordered last week available for collection on March 20th. As already posted, Honda mechanics have already received 3-day briefing on the bike.

Buying a bike is often a 'horses for courses' consideration. Some of us will not use price as the buying criteria, but favour the emotional enjoyment of the bike and brand ahead of all else. Certainly accept your point that that enthusiasts like @RC45 and colleagues have clearly been shafted by Honda USA. I too, have had my own issues with Honda and the non-adaptability of the 2019 ECU (updated over 2017 - 18) being backward compatible to the early bikes. To me that is a major flaw by depriving those who spent big on the 2017 - 18s the opportunity to improve their bikes with Honda's updated technology.

But back to price. I was seriously considering Yamaha's R1M if the 2020 Blade would have been just another couple of stripes on the tank and fairing. On seeing the bike at our November show I was hooked. No paper specs for me; I appreciate the bike for what it is and what it offers. ;)
I think the bike is overpriced compared to the competition, but I like the brand and have liked every Honda I've owned. It doesn't hurt that I think this is one of the best looking bikes... I hate that it's nerfed and I'll have to cross my fingers a flash is available at some point, but I'm still going to enjoy it with "only" 186hp.

Honda USA leaves a bit to complain about, but the bike itself is still good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to wonder why they even bother.
All this money and effort to review a bike that will be limited to less than 50 units and cost $32,000 with tax and not even have the same specs as the bike they are testing.

Honda’s US homepage list this bike under $32,000 is there something I’m missing?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Honda’s US homepage list this bike under $32,000 is there something I’m missing?
Yes, yes you are. - I even state "with tax" in my post.

$28,500 MSRP + $500 delivery + (7% to 9% sales tax) + title fees = $32,000 average out the door price.

This making this bike int he US a $32,000 motorcycle to anyone not buying this bike and paying property/sales/license tax on it.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
The real frustration is Honda (and the press) made it seem liek the SP2 would address all the limits we knew woudl be baked into the base and SP SC77.
But it was all a fucking load of shit - but it does seem that many of the limitations that we KNEW were in the SP that we were told would NOT be in the SP2 (that we paid a high premium for BECAUSE Honda said it was the real deal) have in fact been taken out of the new RR-R SP.

But the bitter taste and empty wallets we have from being burned by Honda in 2017 still stings - and that is the source of my anger towards Honda. They literally lied to us as to make the SP2 sales.
When in reality, we have to spend the SAME money again (and more actually) that would be spent on an SC77 SP to get the bike to where it needs to be.

I was so close to cancelling my SP2 order and go with an SP but held out BECAUSE Honda indicated that the SP2 would NOT have the same limitations baked into it.

I am sure the RR-R SP is going to be a better starting point than even the SP2 was, but I am burned out now and will stick with my hobby level WSBK build.

Huh?

You may be shocked to discover its an OEM el-cheapo that Akro just spewed out to cash in on the OEM volume :)
Similar to the ECS Ohlins and Brembo OEMs.
These are not the same quality and components as the true aftermarket from these manufacturers,

Will depend on your location I guess. My total came to $30,611 after tax.
What is your location?

And are you using a trade in to reduce taxes paid?

$28,500 + $450 + ($1,661 for taxes and title) = $30,611

Most Texas cities will see a price of about $31,350 without trade-in considerations.

We have an advantage of NOT paying repeat annual road tax based on vehicle value, unlike some other states that face a value based annual tax bill.

·
#Vietnam
80 Posts
So I am reading that Honda screwed the consumers and etc on fake promises. Anyone care to give a short and brief cliff note?

I apologize as I have been out of the motorcycle world for a some time now.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts