1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FEB 2016 BOTM
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Not loving the winglets. Bike looks promising though. Still an excellent chassis from what I have read.

·
FEB 2016 BOTM
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not loving the winglets. Bike looks promising though. Still an excellent chassis from what I have read.
The Aprilia usually scores up there every year during the super bike shoutouts. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it so I understand not updating the entire bike. Now the V4r has winglets to. And gobbs of power as well. Excited to see 2019 shootouts.

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
What sort of longevity are the big 'Prillas getting?
I have talked to quite a few riders at the track about this. Supposedly the weak point of the motor is that it needs an early valve adjustment (talking 600-1000miles) due to them having a tendency to become tight during break in. Then another one around 5000-7000miles. After that most guys are reporting that they are bombproof and don't need any adjustments when checked at the regular service intervals. Keep in mind these are the guys who are hammering on them at the track. So if this done right they seem to be as reliable as any other sportbike.

I have looked at the RSV4 RF and the new R1 extensively. The Aprilia is obviously more expensive on the initial purchase, but it comes with stuff that I would have to buy aftermarket for the R1 (namely Ohlins suspension, upgraded brakes, and forged wheels). After all the mods are factored in the two bikes are about the same purchase price for me. The Aprilia needs about 2k in maintenance costs built into the budget on the front end, but the Yamaha is about 1k per year more expensive to insure (that blew me away). So long term the Aprilia looks like the better bike for me. We shall see.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have talked to quite a few riders at the track about this. Supposedly the weak point of the motor is that it needs an early valve adjustment (talking 600-1000miles) due to them having a tendency to become tight during break in. Then another one around 5000-7000miles. After that most guys are reporting that they are bombproof and don't need any adjustments when checked at the regular service intervals. Keep in mind these are the guys who are hammering on them at the track. So if this done right they seem to be as reliable as any other sportbike.

I have looked at the RSV4 RF and the new R1 extensively. The Aprilia is obviously more expensive on the initial purchase, but it comes with stuff that I would have to buy aftermarket for the R1 (namely Ohlins suspension, upgraded brakes, and forged wheels). After all the mods are factored in the two bikes are about the same purchase price for me. The Aprilia needs about 2k in maintenance costs built into the budget on the front end, but the Yamaha is about 1k per year more expensive to insure (that blew me away). So long term the Aprilia looks like the better bike for me. We shall see.
I appreciate you took the time to factor in insurance and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm not digging the winglets either. But at least they don't have those graphics like the 2016-2018 models. Sort of killed it for me.

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
If I had the money I'd already own a RSV4. Sooooo beautiful. Well, except for the new one. Looks like crap compared to this version.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts