Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this works on the 04-05 CBR1000 and should with the 06. It will "probably" work on the 05 and up 600RRs as well but you will have to check some things out. From what I understand the 05-06 600 and the 04-05 1000 310mm brake discs are the same. All these bikes have 'radial' brakes.
The 929/954 had 330mm brakes. The 04-05 1000 has 310mm and the 06 has 320mm brakes. The bolt pattern and disc carrier offset are identical so the 330mm disc physically bolts on no problem. The problem is that the caliper won't bolt down to the fork mount with the larger disc.
If you look on some bikes with radial brakes you will see a spacer between the caliper and fork mount. The idea being if you wanted to use larger than stock rotors, you just add a spacer and longer bolts.
I took that idea, took a few measurements and with the help of a friend who had the materials and lathe, we made some spacers. I need to get some longer bolts and it will be done! When I finish the bike the 330mm Braking Wave rotors will be there, not the stock 330mm ones. Here are some pics.....

Stock

Spacers (small ones are stock)

Installed!

Closeup.

·
First Bike of the month
6,633 Posts
i would say he will feel it just because it's larger specially when it comes to flicking the bike side to side. IMO, getting that Brembo Front mastercylinder will be a better choise; lighter, better brake feel.

My $0.02 ;)

·
Do for Self
2,427 Posts
I kind of agree.... even before I added the steel brake lines, the brakes were super. AND after I got the proper spring in the front 1.0 for me. and silikone fork oil, I stop my 230lbs with just one finger, with all of the control and feel I need.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you have some perfectly good Braking Wave rotors sitting there not being used, and all you have to do to use them on your new ride is make 4 spacers and buy some longer bolts, you do it. Larger rotors will afford you more braking power, if you can use it an since they are wave rotors, there is less inertia (even though they are slightly larger than stock) so the bike will turn better.

·
Do for Self
2,427 Posts
well if you put it that way.......

·
Registered
519 Posts
CBRBob said:
When you have some perfectly good Braking Wave rotors sitting there not being used, and all you have to do to use them on your new ride is make 4 spacers and buy some longer bolts, you do it. Larger rotors will afford you more braking power, if you can use it an since they are wave rotors, there is less inertia (even though they are slightly larger than stock) so the bike will turn better.
Have you compared actual weights?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't tell yet. Never ridden a 1kRR. The one I just picked up was a loop-job, guy tweaked the frame. He bought a replacement frame but realized he was in over his head. I bought all he had and the new frame. Just seeing what good parts from the 929 will work on the new bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if you can find a rotor with the correct offset and bolt circle on the carrier, machining a block of aluminum will do the trick. Ever see the EBC oversize kit for F2s?

·
Kamikaze Idiot
157 Posts
Today i installed, full floating 330mm Braking waves from a 954RR and a Nissin 19 mm radial mastercilinder on my 1000RR.
It gives me unbeleveble feedback now, with mutch more force.

·
Good Time Charlie - GTC
568 Posts
Spacer And Bolts

Gents,

If I was to perform this setup (330 mm Rotors), what would be the correct size spacers and bolts I would need to complete the job? :confused: TIA.

·
Registered
854 Posts
330mm!? i was looking to upgrade my 05 to 320mm from 310 because the 320mm is lighter. Is the same for the 330's? I wouldn't think so..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts